Extension Of Stay - Proof Of Income Question

I have had a series of tourist visas and typically go to the Phuket Town immigration office for extensions where I have had very good, friendly service.

Instead of going to the Canadian embassy in Bangkok for my retirement income affidavit, has anyone ever just taken the necessary bank income statements to the Phuket office and received their extension of stay based on retirement?

If not, has anyone ever had any issues after getting the necessary income affidavit from the Embassy with the Phuket Town office?

Thanks, Headgame

Edited by Headgame

Bank income statements will not get you an extension of stay @ Phuket. They will want to see letter for Canadian Embassy. However having 800,000 baht in Thai bank for 2 months will

Costs from 30 day entry stamp - 2000 for O & 1900 for Extension - = 15 month stay (have to report every 90 days) jap.gif

Income from abroad must be certified with a letter form your embassy. Bank statements are not enough.

For the extension of a tourist visa, no ncome needs to be shown.

What kind of visa do you have and are you asking about extensions of stay based on retirement or do you want to convert a tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa?

Thanks for the assistance. I currently have a 30 day tourist visa. I qualify for a retirement visa.

I don't believe I can extend my tourist visa beyond 10 days so my preferred route is to convert my tourist visa to an non immigrant visa but welcome some feedback on what would be my best approach.

Thanks to all responders, Headgame

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days.

Convertion is possible, if you meet the requirements which you will with the income affadavid.

I would contact Phuket immigration first, to see if they will convert from a tourist visa to a non-immigrant visa. Not all immigration offices do and in that case they will send you to do it in Bangkok.

You do not have a tourist visa if 30 days. That would be a visa exempt entry and to change will likely require both proof of financials and at least 15 days remaining (which I suspect you many not have) and could require doing in Bangkok. If this is going to be an issue your best bet would likely be to obtain a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate and return for 90 days on that and during the last 30 days extend for retirement. Being over age 50 should allow consulate to issue such a visa for you.

You can ask immigration if they can convert but you must have the income proof to do so.

You do not have a tourist visa if 30 days. That would be a visa exempt entry and to change will likely require both proof of financials and at least 15 days remaining (which I suspect you many not have) and could require doing in Bangkok. If this is going to be an issue your best bet would likely be to obtain a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate and return for 90 days on that and during the last 30 days extend for retirement. Being over age 50 should allow consulate to issue such a visa for you.

You can ask immigration if they can convert but you must have the income proof to do so.

Will the Embassy proof of income be required by the Thai Consulate to obtain the O visa?

If the immigration office can convert would it be an Extension of Stay based on retirement?

Consulate normally would not require proof of funds but having some documents to support your ability to live might be useful.

Change of status is what Immigration would do first - a 90 day non immigrant entry. Some offices have done both at same time but currently they seem to wait until the standard under 30 days remaining on permitted to stay. And this may require getting two letter of income from Embassy so another reason to just get the visa from a Consulate. Cost of conversion at Immigration will be the same 2k baht as a visa and not cost Embassy fee so may work out about the same in costs.

If the immigration office can convert would it be an Extension of Stay based on retirement?

i just called the Phuket town Immigration Office and was told as follows:

- They can convert a 30 day visa exempt entry to an O Visa anytime up to the second last day of the 30 day period.

- They require the proof of income affidavit, photos, passport and application form and it will be done same day - 2000 baht for the conversion and 1900 baht for the one year

Again, very friendly service from a Brit in the office.

That is good news - the old requirement was 21 days remaining but when visa exempt because 15 days at borders they started to allow less but this is first report I have seen of only several days. Also doing same day is a nice touch and easier. Thanks for the feedback. Let us know if all goes well.

That is good news - the old requirement was 21 days remaining but when visa exempt because 15 days at borders they started to allow less but this is first report I have seen of only several days. Also doing same day is a nice touch and easier. Thanks for the feedback. Let us know if all goes well.

Thanks for your assistance and feedback and I will certainly report on the complete process.

• 1 month later...

Report on Extension of Stay - Phuket Immigration Office

Thanks to all who provided guidance to me in preparation for this process.

I went to Bangkok yesterday to obtain my proof of income from the Canadian Embassy. It went very smoothly because i had all my bank statements and letters where appropriate to support income sources. The only issue was that the Embassy would only confirm my income in Canadian dollars and not in Thai baht - more on that later. Cost was 1500 baht - cash only. BTW, getting to the Canadian Embassy from BKK was very easy - ARL Express train to Makkasson station / walk out of Makkasson Station to the MRT line (follow the signs - 5 min) and then take the subway to the Silom Rd. stop./ walk out of station onto Rama IV Rd. turn right and walk 5 min. to the Abdul Rahim Place Building - 15th floor.

This morning I went to the Phuket Immigration office with the following:

- proof on income

- TM 87 for change of visa exempt tourist entry to an O non immigrant visa

- TM 7 for Extension of Stay based on retirement

- 2 copies of passport / entry stamp / departure card

- 2 pics

- passport

- bank statements, etc. (just in case)

- two full days left on my 30 day visa exempt tourist entry

When I arrived at the Phuket Immigration Office I went and saw one of two Information Officers (Brits who volunteer to provide assistance - wonderful guys). My guy reviewed everything and bundled it together. He told me to go and get a copy of my ATM card so it will show how I get the money from my Canadian bank account. He advised me there could be an issue since my Embassy income proof was only in Canadian dollars but he went to a supervisor who said "no problem". We did a currency conversion right there based on today's exchange rate - love my iPhone. My info officer suggested I go and see a particular Immigration Officer which I did. First thing he asked for was payment of the fees (2,000 and 1,900 baht respectively). After a quick document review he began a process of applying about 30 different stamps being stamped everywhere - receipt books, forms and finally my passport. He advised me to report in 90 days and come and see him. He smiled and we stood up and shook hands and I was out the door with an Extension of Stay to August 28, 2012. All in all, less than an hour. Zero hassles.

Oh Happy Day!!!

BTW, I was dressed reasonably well, polite, friendly and respectful - no attempts at humor.