Pigeons: How To Get Rid Of Them

AsiaWolfie

I had the same problem with those noisy mynah birds. What I did was buy a couple of those rubber snakes about a foot long or so and laid them on the ledges where they landed at night. That scared them away for a while. You might have better luck scaring piegeons as they arn't as aggressive as the mynahs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to get rid of pests like pidgeons and seagulls..

Buy bread and ratsack

pull out nice soft bits of bread

stick ratsack inside small bread pieces and squish up to hide ratsack

stick all over balcony

wait for greedy pidgeons to eat said balls of bread

watch as pidgeons explode from inside out after ingesting ratsack

:o  :D

Aha! A cunning plan Rooboy....... Well thought out and would love to see it in action.

"pigeons explode from inside out" :D

Wolfie, keep us posted :D

This does work- we used to soak bread with Drano or Liquid Plumber.

The birds explode, not implode. The chemical creates gas in the stomach, which blows out about a minute or two after they eat it.

The smart thing to do is to chase them into flight after they have eaten. That way the mess ends up elsewhere.

Not really much to add but I'm glad to find out where our pigeons went :D We had a problem with pigeons a few months ago - they also liked crapping on our AC. We tried wire at the balcony to keep them out (probably too thin because they just snapped it), trees on the balcony to block their access (didn't look after the trees well enough and they died...)

In the end, the pigeons just disapppeared. I don't know where they went or why they went. It could have been the wire or trees or just the fact that I use to shout at the buggers whenever I saw them. That probably didn't do much but it made me feel better :o

will that TV Member who sent me email offering to sell me one of his 2 pigeon-traps (or whatever it was) please contact me again ? cause I deleted that email accidentally..... his nick was Markos..something, as far as I remember. I cant find him in the search function though, unfortunatelly....

We've got fishing net up along the balcony, keeps the big stuff out, lets the little finch / sparrow things in (they are nesting behind the aircon). Cute watching them try to move a whole mop-head for their nest :D

Unfortunately makes the balcony a little claustrophobic (sp).

Young pigeon is good eating, maybe a nice pie, you probably won't be able to eat them as fast as they breed though :o

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd revive this old thread.

A colleague has just found a simple solution to our pigeon problem. Point a laser pen in their direction. It scares them into a near panic.

We have a couple of warehouse type buildings where pigeons are constantly nesting and leaving a huge mess. No amount of loud noise or throwing things would get rid of them.

2 weeks ago my colleague shone a laser pen in their direction and the pigeons scattered. They came back twice that day and flew off after having more laser shone at them.

They haven’t returned. :o

We’ve since cleared another 2 warehouses using this method.

A note of caution, don’t shine lasers in eyes, it causes eye damage.

Blind pigeons could be fun to watch.

I will try this, on my list to buy a laser gidget tomorrow.

I have tried several methods, nothing works, they always come back.

Bought the rat glue and was going to try that, then club them all as they stuck to their perch.

Also fed them rat poison in bread, nothing happened, except they had a good feed and came back for more.

These warehouses are unoccupied and visited once or twice a month for a couple of hours. Similar to the OP's situation.

Only time will tell just how effective this laser method is, but at the moment the pigeons seem to have identified the warehouses as a danger zone. I hope it stays that way and they tell their bird friends.

Laser light works if you live at the place continuously. What about periods when you are away for some while and come back to see the balcony full of s.h.i.t as the OP mentioned? :o

Any suggestions for how to clean up the mess once it's there? After cleaning the droppings I am left with discolloration of the affected area.

Sophon

Along the lines of the laser pen, my neighbour has a bunch of filled, clear, water bottles in his yard. He also ties a lot of scratched (unusable) CDs to plants and trees. Sunlight flashing on the bottles and CDs seems to scare birds away. At night, the yard lights fill in for the sunlight.

Yes, I have seen the bottle and cd setup...really nice look for your garden also.

WD40 is also a good hint, maybe tobasco sauce also, it keeps squirels away.

I would love a pellet gun, illegal here, nearly got one on the burmese border but, getting through the border may have been a hickup but. The little bb guns are useless.

Buy bread and ratsack

stick all over balcony

Aha! A cunning plan Rooboy....... Well thought out and would love to see it in action.

The birds explode, not implode. The chemical creates gas in the stomach, which blows out about a minute or two after they eat it.

The smart thing to do is to chase them into flight after they have eaten. That way the mess ends up elsewhere.

charming. did you graduate and move on to small mammals? let me know when you are rated for children and we will have some real fun.

Buy bread and ratsack

stick all over balcony

charming. did you graduate and move on to small mammals? let me know when you are rated for children and we will have some real fun.

Ah, Bino, stated like a true stab in the back bleeding heart Canadian liberal with no knowledge of bush trapping. What a cowardly holier than thou attitude towards anything weaker than you are. For shame.

use dead cd/dvds as a mobile & hang it on the balcony. Also suitable for keeping birds out of gardens. Then there's always pigeon pie, baked pigeon, roast pigeon, pigeon burgers (maybe a new line for Macca's)

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the laser light show, scared the crap out of them for a day, returned the next day and would not budge.

Fed them bread rolled up with rat poison in it and draino....ate it all, flew away, came back to roost and shit everywhere again the next day.

Thinking of a cross bow shortly.

Along the lines of the laser pen, my neighbour has a bunch of filled, clear, water bottles in his yard. He also ties a lot of scratched (unusable) CDs to plants and trees. Sunlight flashing on the bottles and CDs seems to scare birds away. At night, the yard lights fill in for the sunlight.

It might work there, it didn't for me in Germany. Buggers stripped my pea vines in the space of a weekend despite all that. And then the deer came, plundered my beetroot patch and ate my roses. I grow onions now.

Cable ties

(The small plastic ones that thread to form a ring and lock as you pull tight)

Place around pipes and cut so that about 25 mm points upward 50mm apart.

For flat Surfaces.

Utilise wire mesh (Chicken wire) to form a tent like structure

Leave spikes of wire on top edge as with cable ties.

Also usable on ledges etc etc

Basic idea is to make all areas inaccessible to Pigeon when trying to land

Good Luck

Regards

:o

That works, we use spikes on the navigation buoys here. Dem gulls don't like dat! BTW, I use a catapult. They come back but I only have to draw that elastic and they get the message. I've twice had to replace panes in my neighbour's greenhouse though.

It might work there, it didn't for me in Germany. Buggers stripped my pea vines in the space of a weekend despite all that. And then the deer came, plundered my beetroot patch and ate my roses. I grow onions now.

:o:D Sorry, Gwertz, but that stream of events is funny. My mom has similar probs with moose, deer, squirrels, and birds in her garden. Then the bears come along and hoover up all the berries. Slim pickins left for the humans.

We had birds perching on our window sills too. My son had a couple of rubber snakes and I put these on the window sill and that scared them off. A real snake would be better yet but might be a problem keeping it on the windoi sill!