No Thai Beach On Tripadvisor'S 10 World Best Beaches 2011

josuede

For sure small bays are great...but I'm also a beachcomber. Love to walk for an hour or more barefoot and be able to explore along the way. In Mexico, use to walk for over an hour, stopping at small shacks along the way for a snack or a drink. Hardly anybody else but me.

Fantastic stuff sitting with new friends, munching on seafood snacks, drinking a Corona and watching the sunset...

Edit: Same kind of walk is available on Bang Saphan and down in Ban Kruit. Great beaches for a long walk....

Ah good to here Bang Saphan mentioned. We are thinking of going down to that area + Champhon, a bit later on this tear for a couple of weeks.

jb1

For sure small bays are great...but I'm also a beachcomber. Love to walk for an hour or more barefoot and be able to explore along the way. In Mexico, use to walk for over an hour, stopping at small shacks along the way for a snack or a drink. Hardly anybody else but me.

Fantastic stuff sitting with new friends, munching on seafood snacks, drinking a Corona and watching the sunset...

Edit: Same kind of walk is available on Bang Saphan and down in Ban Kruit. Great beaches for a long walk....

Ah good to here Bang Saphan mentioned. We are thinking of going down to that area + Champhon, a bit later on this tear for a couple of weeks.

jb1

We drove from Cha Am down to Khanom and then over to Samui, pretty much doing the route along the sea as best we could and taking 4-5 days. It was a great trip. I love Bang Saphan, especially BS Noi. Ban Kruit is really neat as is Khanom. Next time, we hope to do the coast, as best we can, from Khanom south.

San Diego beaches were originally voted number one, but when the editor of the article came to town to bestow the prize on us, we threw him into the ocean to celebrate, and he got hypothermia. So he took us off the list.

But I actually think Australia has the best beaches, kinda like California, but with warmer water.

Great line from the screenplay of Chinatown (Best Screenplay Oscar 1975)

BAGBY -- Gentlemen, today you can walk out that door, turn right, hop on a streetcar and in twenty-five minutes end up smack in the Pacific Ocean. Now you can swim in it, you can fish in it, you can sail in it - but you can't drink it, you can't water your lawns with it, you can't irrigate an orange grove with it.

Unless you surf or windsurf what do you actually DO at a beach? ...

I swam 1500 meters yesterday in a 30 meter salt water pool ... 300 KM from the nearest salt water at which you 'water babies' hang-out

Great line from the screenplay of Chinatown (Best Screenplay Oscar 1975)

BAGBY -- Gentlemen, today you can walk out that door, turn right, hop on a streetcar and in twenty-five minutes end up smack in the Pacific Ocean. Now you can swim in it, you can fish in it, you can sail in it - but you can't drink it, you can't water your lawns with it, you can't irrigate an orange grove with it.

Unless you surf or windsurf what do you actually DO at a beach? ...

I swam 1500 meters yesterday in a 30 meter salt water pool ... 300 KM from the nearest salt water at which you 'water babies' hang-out

I commend you. If I tried to do that I would drown. I naturally sink and if I don't stop moving I descend about 6 or 7 feet before leveling off. I can take a lung full of air and lay on the bottom of a swimming pool. As a child taking swimming lessons I almost drowned when the instructors didn't notice me on the bottom of the pool. They had to pump the water out of my lungs. I had to be rescued by life guards at a Mexican beach in Mazatland. I am not afraid of water, and I spend a LOT of time around water, but I know my limitations. I prefer to snorkle while wearing a life jacket. It lets me float around in comfort without fighting to stay on top. I would be lucky to swim more than a 100 meters in fresh water, and a little further in salt water.

San Diego beaches were originally voted number one, but when the editor of the article came to town to bestow the prize on us, we threw him into the ocean to celebrate, and he got hypothermia. So he took us off the list.

But I actually think Australia has the best beaches, kinda like California, but with warmer water.

Sad, but so true. Lived in San Diego for many years and hardly ever swam in the ocean...too cold!

Here in Thailand...same same...but it's due to the pollution. :(

I also prefer to swim in my own pool...

Thanks Ian -- about 40 years ago I decided I would never be good at the races but could swim a mile or 2 without stopping and not be out of breath -- now having gone metric I like the 1500 meters which is about 40 minutes only stopping every 10 laps for a sip of lemonade... I would still like living near the water but when near the water in Thailand I'm always restless with no waves.

I've started to enjoy the pangasus hypothalmus (swai) here in Thailand but I buy it frozen and filleted at the CP Freshmart ... tastes almost like flounder... well 10:30AM the pool opens see you later.

Just one of those places I would rather be. A private island in Southern Philippines. No Bars, no other farangs, crystal clear waters, white sand, the most gorgeous reef for snorkling. Just have to go back there again.

post-21351-0-13399100-1304393161_thumb.j

post-21351-0-48801500-1304393189_thumb.j

post-21351-0-03925100-1304393210_thumb.j

post-21351-0-55662600-1304393232_thumb.j

Edited by toybits

Thanks for those photos, Toybits. They remind me of just one of the things I loved about the Philippines. I enjoyed the northern end of Palawan Island. It was one of the few places in the Philippines that commercial fishermen did not destroy the delicate coral reefs. Fortunately, I left the Philippines before the radical Muslims ruined Minanao with their attacks on tourists. I always though I would love a 30 foot sailboat and the time to explore the islands more thoroughly. I've got some funny stories about my times in the Philippines and I may even tell them sometime.

I have lived on beaches all my life and am just over it. I like the hot springs outside of Chiang Mai where you can cook the eggs in the springs and just hang around and eat chicken with your feet in the water in the shade. I forget the name of the place but they have pools and things too but I like the picnic area where they have little canals

post-20120-0-27673200-1304396769_thumb.j

My favorite beach and just about my favorite place in the world (so far): Lagundri Beach / Pulau Nias / island off the coast of North Sumatra / Indonesia --

lagun-poster-web.jpg

-- also now famous for being an earthquake epicenter

Thanks for those photos, Toybits. They remind me of just one of the things I loved about the Philippines. I enjoyed the northern end of Palawan Island. It was one of the few places in the Philippines that commercial fishermen did not destroy the delicate coral reefs. Fortunately, I left the Philippines before the radical Muslims ruined Minanao with their attacks on tourists. I always though I would love a 30 foot sailboat and the time to explore the islands more thoroughly. I've got some funny stories about my times in the Philippines and I may even tell them sometime.

I spent a month + roaming around Cebu, Bohol and Negros. Fantastic beaches. Didn't like the food, and wasn't really happy seeing so many guns...but the diving was great.

I was headed to Mindanao when there was a major terrorist incident. Diverted to Manila, was a bit put off with the city, ran out of cash and missed my opportunity to visit Palawan. :(

But hope to make it back there some day....

Probably, one of the best kept secrets is that there are people that go to the northeastern section of Mindanao to go surfing on the Pacific Ocean. That place is called Surigao or Siargao or something like that.

My favorite beach and just about my favorite place in the world (so far): Lagundri Beach / Pulau Nias / island off the coast of North Sumatra / Indonesia --

lagun-poster-web.jpg

-- also now famous for being an earthquake epicenter