Slimming Or Fat Reduction Pills

The Nemi

Would you advice people to take slimming pills for flab reduction ??  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A lot of women take them in Thailand

They do work but I think they would not be good for you. I'm not sure why but that's the general impression I got from living in the west so they aren't really available there.

A year into my relationship with my gf I convinced her to stop taking them. She immediately started to gain weight. I know 3 other thai women taking them and they're all slim.

It's a tool obese people can use to speed up the process when they get serious about a weightloss program.

Using them daily for normal sized people to stay slim is just unhealthy and irresponsible. Of course the locals like taking medicine, and they also like to eat a lot so I imagine they are quite popular in Thailand.

Most are glutinous rice and kidney bean extract. I suggest a diet instead.

With thehigh cost of the tablets you can join a exercise club and get coaching too. Much better than letting a tablet do the work for you. Thin to win! It takes work. Good luck! :o

I'm pretty sure that the "diet" pills that we're talking about here are amphetamines and are certainly not good for long term use. You wouldn't want to have any on you going through customs in another country. Of course there are probably other types out there, including placebos, but the really good ones are boud to be speed.

My GF used to take them sometimes and I asked her to stop. The supply seemed to be a little shady also. They weren't coming from a regular phamacy but through friends that had "contacts".

If you used them carefully knowing the risks it mught be worth it to some people but one of the things I like about Thailand is that the women all think that I have the body of a god already .....Buddha

A lot of diet tablets are very bad for your heart and blood pressure. I needed to loose a bit of weight and my GP in the UK prescribed mr REDUCTIL which help to stop you feeling hungry. I have found them a big help. :o

They work, but they are just different variations of speed. Some are amphetamine base some are ephadrine based, you can also get inhibators that stop ur body from absording fat. All of these will lead to weight loss but there are side effects. Watch the fim "Requream for a Dream" or read the novel, the results can be pretty horrendous. But then is there ever really a quick and easy way to do any thing???

Hi all,

I am sure some of the slimming pills are actually amphetamines.

Have a friend that takes them so once in a while.

When she takes she is so active, sleeps only 2 hours a day and talks 22 hours a day. When she stops after a week or so she is back to normal but they do help she looses about 3 kilo a week If you wanna use be sure about the strenght they go from 1 to 10 I believe. If you wanna take for the first time just start with 2 or 3 and drink lots of water.

Kind regards,

Alex

I have heard of Herbalife slimming pills.  What's the deal with them? I'm always sceptical about dieting quick fixes but some of you guys seem to know what your talking about

There is this very secret and little known but highly effective technique called "eating healthy and excercising regularly", it will probably fix things a lot quicker than a herbal supplement :o

Edited by Orion76

It's amazing that the Thai govt never brings up the amphetamine diet pills when it talks about the war on drugs. I could never understand this.

Anyways, I'll admit that I took them about 6 years ago here. I got them at a clinic. I only used them for a couple months. Yes, I stayed up until 12 at least. I could eat more but the doc said to eat less. I lost about 15 kilos pretty quickly. But if you don't change your habits you'll just gain it back - I did. Really you need to change you habits for eating and exercise. I still struggle with weight today.

I voted unsure as to whether I'd recomend them. If I recommend them I say it only telling you that you must change your habits. Eat less carbs too. If you do the atkins diet you'll loose weight pretty quickly as well but if you don't change your habits it'll come back.

If you are really obese go for it but commit to the rest of it. The positive feeling / boost you'll get from the weightloss might be more beneficial than staying fat.

Yes those pills works but when you stop them, you’ll get your Kg back & even more!!! They work (most of them), by increasing your metabolic rate & decreasing your hunger. It means your body will use more calories to do the same job & you will eat less. That’s good for many peoples, but the problem is, your body gets use to it!!! After a few weeks your body slows dawn & you do not lose any more wait or you have to increase the medication… The biggest problem is that when you lose wait with this system you lose not only fat but also muscles! Muscles are the fundament of your metabolic rate… When you stop to use those pills, your metabolism can not count on the external help any more & you have less muscle => less energy => lower metabolic rate… If you still eat the same as before => you’ll get fatter very quick & even more than before!!!

The only way to lose fat & after to stay lean is to control what you eat (not to much the quantity but the “style” of food), to increase your activity (everything that use physical energy) & to do a light died in “Zigzag”.

How can you only have the weekends for exercise? Do you work that hard?

There's plenty of little ways to increase yuor heart rate without going all out.

Walk more, surely a little yoga, or exercise routine can be done in your apartment, cut back on coconut milk and chunks of fat.

Amphetimines seems like an extreme and ironic way of getting healthy.

How can you only have the weekends for exercise? Do you work that hard?

There's plenty of little ways to increase yuor heart rate without going all out.

Walk more, surely a little yoga, or exercise routine can be done in your apartment, cut back on coconut milk and chunks of fat.

Amphetimines seems like an extreme and ironic way of getting healthy.

Well Yes,

I work as all normal people do....but most of my time is wasted in travelling.....yeh 6hrs of travelling. I have some personal reasons n that why i have to stay that far from my company.

from 4 in the morning to 8 in the evenign i spend in travelling n working. Thats the reason i asked abt slimming pills.

:o

• 2 years later...

Hi Alex, what are the pills called...can I get them on the internet?

Thanks

Saffy

Hi all,

I am sure some of the slimming pills are actually amphetamines.

Have a friend that takes them so once in a while.

When she takes she is so active, sleeps only 2 hours a day and talks 22 hours a day. When she stops after a week or so she is back to normal but they do help she looses about 3 kilo a week If you wanna use be sure about the strenght they go from 1 to 10 I believe. If you wanna take for the first time just start with 2 or 3 and drink lots of water.

Kind regards,

Alex

Duramide, is a slimming drug, it has effects simmilar to amphetamines. Many Thai ladies take them. You can get them from your local hospital and they come in different strengths. They are usually taken for 4 weeks then you have a 2 week break. Be warned they are expensive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramine

Edited by waza

The weight loss meds available in Thailand fall into the following categroies:

1 - stimulant-based, if not amphetamine then some varient of ephedrine. These are essentially the same as the now banned "phen-fen"which was linked to a number of deaths. Which is not tos say that they will harm everyone, but they can be quite dangerous for people with cardiovasculkar disease, hypertension etc. They do cause decreased appetite in most people, and also increase metabolism, but at the price of putting your body into "overdrive". Anxiety and insomnia are common side effects. Stroke, heart attack less common but obviously a lot more deadly.

2- laxatives. the Slimma teas etc are in this group. They primarily work by creating loss of fluid, will also give a slimmer appearing abdomen by keeping the gut pretty empty. Some actual weight loss may occur from decreased absorption of food. Downside is, obviously, diarrhea and frequent trips to the bathroom with some urgency. May also be irritating to the bowel if used long-term.

3 - drugs that act on neurotransmitters in a way which decreases appetite or at least food cravings in many people. Reductil and Serc are the 2 that I am aware of.

Reductil is sibutramine, it works by increasing the circulating levels of serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, for which reasoin it absolutely must not be taken by anyone who is also taking anti-depressents ....and if one decides to stop such drugs in order to start taking reductil, allow enough time for them to fully clear your system first. Because norepinephrine has stimulent properties, also should be avoided by people with hypertension ot thyroid problems. Plenty of side effects, including all manner of mntal/mood changes. Some peoplke feel fine on it but others become agitated, hostile, irritable etc. research carefully if thinking of using it.

Serc is betahistine and its use for weight loss is "off label" but apparently it does decrease appetite in many people. Because it is similar to histamine, should be avoided by people with serious allergies or asthma. Headache and insomnia are the most common side effects; I tried to take it once and had to stop because of the severe headache, but many people apparently do OK. There are other side effects as well so like Reductil should read up on it first before taking.

4 - Xenical (Orlistat) works by decreasing the absorption of fat from the intestine. Since its action is b asically local rather than systemic it's safety margin is good; under another name has been approved for over the counter sale in the US. The extent to which it will cause a person to lose weight depends on the percentage of the diet that is fat -- and also on not increasing that. Som e people, knowing they are taking something that blocks fat absorption, then feel freer to eat fried or fatty foods they might otherwise have avolided and that completely undoes the effect, since the drug only blocks about 30% of the fat ingested. For people whose main source of excess calories is carbs rather than fat (tyopical of most women), it won't do much of anything. Main side effect is loose stools/diarrhea altho that is also dependent on amount of fat ingested.

5- Available on much more limited basis are a variety of supplements and herbal preparations that seem to help depress food cravings and/or enhance metabolism. Some, like glutamine and l-carnitine (?sp) can be obtained at GNC outlets. Stevia, a Brazilian herb that helps stabilize blood sugar/control cravings, can be purchased from some of the detox spas, otherwise AFAIK would have to be ordered online, a shame since, for me at least, it is very helpful in curbing carb cravings. There are probably a few other supplements I've failed to mention here that can also be obtained at GNC. This group of meds are, AFAIK, free of serious side effects. Just hard to find in LOS....

With all of these there will of course still be the problem of regaining the weight afterwards.

Diuretics cause a temporary loss of water, which will make one briefly weigh less on the scale. It does absolutely nothing with fat. Of that, you will have just as much as before. You'll just be a somewhat dehdrated overweight person rather than a properly hydrated one, and get a deceptive reeading on the scale because of it.

4 - Xenical (Orlistat) works by decreasing the absorption of fat from the intestine. Since its action is b asically local rather than systemic it's safety margin is good; under another name has been approved for over the counter sale in the US.

That would be Alli, winner of the Bitter Pill award. Here's my favorite part of the write up:

Side Effects: Alli has a number of unpleasant and disgusting side effects associated with it, including diarrhea, oily spotting, oily stools, flatulence with discharge, and fecal urgency. The marketing book tie-in, Are you Losing It? “advises alli users to wear dark clothing and keep a change of clothes handy until they know how the drug will affect them.”

You can read the whole article here

If slimming pills worked, why are Americans still fat and broke from spending billions on weight loss every year?

Don't be afraid of good old exercise.

Yes.

Exercise and caloric reduction. A balanced diet; balanced nutrition.

It's not rocket science. But the companies that market and sell these products try to paint a picture of success.

As noted by awrrumbungle: if these pills worked, we'd know about them.