Tremor This Morning ?

Nawtier

Thanks for the links....lotsa activity around...there was one today off Japan.

Wonder what it was up here then....nice peaceful sundy morn....no trucks....no earthworks nearby....no stampeding elephants...that was last night.

Go and count how many trees missing in your neighbourhood overnight Greggy..........

Its usually 30 seconds anyway for your information....sometime 45.

I apologize for my inappropriate post, earlier. Bad humor and it was just plain wrong. I cannot delete it, unfortunately.

As for trees, my wife is an orchid gardener and prolific tree planter. Most of the Thai people I know have an healthy, if not uncanny, knowledge of the local flora, city-dwellers notwithstanding. Go to any big Thai bookstore and you will see a large selection of books about trees, plants and their care. Our housekeeper has a fourth-grade education but can identify any of a hundred species of trees and even tell you which insects favor which trees. She can also tell you which trees have spirits living in them. Valuable folk knowledge that has been lost in more developed nations.

Thailand also has an unusually large number of national parks which protect natural forests and the wildlife in them. The country is starting to do a good job in eliminating trafficking of forest animals (to China?) and has almost wiped out illegal logging.

Sorry to digress.

Digression is nothing to be sorry for.

I have no need for AA by the way as I rarely drink.

As for trees....no doubt many Thais do feel as you say....but many more do not.

I live at the foot of a National Park.....last year I witnessed the parks people cut down a huge tree so they could build a nice new building in its place.

Instead, they could have built and incorporated the tree into their design and had an outstanding building.

I witnessed a road carved up and huge trees cut down....for a road that was not needed at all.

I can go out tomorrow and take 30 photos of huge trees dying, dead or will be in a year or 3, because of mismanagement by individuals and developers.

Poachers creep into National Parks and cut down big trees for honey and the resin in some trees for incense....up in smoke.

I know a local police officer that has a wood furniture making business, he makes tables and such out of large trees....wonder where he gets them all from ??

Locals in a 'proposed' dam area not far from here, not a for sure dam, just proposed, went and cut down all the big trees for themselves before anyone else got to them...still no dam.

Have you witnessed the amount of trees cut down for charcoal production ??

In our local town 25k's away they have 4 sawmills that I know of with their yards full of trees at any time of the year.

A house we lived in last year, the owner cut down a big old tree next to it...because he thought it 'might' one day fall on his house.

As for the spirit trees....these trees are saved first and foremost for the spirits supposed to be believed to inhabit them.......not first and foremost for the tree itself and what it does for the environment and humankind.....regardless that many of these trees are older than any person living around them.

In another post elsewhere about trees....you commented I know nothing and never will....care to change that view ?? i have lived here for a long time now, not as long as some, but longer than many also.

I went through the 1989 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake in San Francisco region ... I was on the Cypress Freeway Viaduct (near my house) twice that morning which famously 'pancaked' killing about 70 people.

If you have to ask 'Was that a Tremor?' it ain't much of a tremor.

loma-prieta.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Well....you actually ask if it is a tremor because it is so small it could be just an elephant walking by....so needs confirmation by somebody else.

I did not ask if it was an earthquake.....but a tremor.....a tremor is different to an earthquake if you did not know......if it was an earthquake...I probably would not have to ask.

Digression is nothing to be sorry for.

I have no need for AA by the way as I rarely drink.

As for trees....no doubt many Thais do feel as you say....but many more do not.

I live at the foot of a National Park.....last year I witnessed the parks people cut down a huge tree so they could build a nice new building in its place.

Instead, they could have built and incorporated the tree into their design and had an outstanding building.

I witnessed a road carved up and huge trees cut down....for a road that was not needed at all.

I can go out tomorrow and take 30 photos of huge trees dying, dead or will be in a year or 3, because of mismanagement by individuals and developers.

Poachers creep into National Parks and cut down big trees for honey and the resin in some trees for incense....up in smoke.

I know a local police officer that has a wood furniture making business, he makes tables and such out of large trees....wonder where he gets them all from ??

Locals in a 'proposed' dam area not far from here, not a for sure dam, just proposed, went and cut down all the big trees for themselves before anyone else got to them...still no dam.

Have you witnessed the amount of trees cut down for charcoal production ??

In our local town 25k's away they have 4 sawmills that I know of with their yards full of trees at any time of the year.

A house we lived in last year, the owner cut down a big old tree next to it...because he thought it 'might' one day fall on his house.

As for the spirit trees....these trees are saved first and foremost for the spirits supposed to be believed to inhabit them.......not first and foremost for the tree itself and what it does for the environment and humankind.....regardless that many of these trees are older than any person living around them.

In another post elsewhere about trees....you commented I know nothing and never will....care to change that view ?? i have lived here for a long time now, not as long as some, but longer than many also.

Some years ago I bought a plot 9about 5rai) which had eucalyptus on it. When I cleared the euca. in order to produce cassava, I discovered that there were 6 hard wood trees interspersed. No way would I have them cut down, despite being offered quite a substantial price by some local saw mills. I have told my family that when I die my spirit will inhabit there trees and if they fell them they will have REAL problems.

No...ask the Phuket guy...his tiles fell off today and it was 80k's off Phuket.....thats the one.

Trust me...there is nothing else around here to make my bed shake like that....missus is only 48 kilo.....dog is maybe 2 kilo.....