Thai Workers Call For Alcoholic Drinks Ban

webfact

Call for drinks ban

By The Nation on Sunday

Thai workers have called for a more effective ban on alcoholic drinks in factories, as the Mental Health Department revealed many workers were addicted to alcohol, and 1.7 times more at risk of suicide than non-drinkers.

Dr Boonsiri Jansirimongkol, an alcohol and drug addiction expert at the Somdet Chaophraya Institute of Psychiatry, said a recent national survey found 8.4 per cent of Thais aged 25-34 years, 7.4 per cent of workers 33-44 years old, and 5.2 per cent of workers aged 45-54 years were addicted to alcoholic drinks.

Wichai Poonkerd, president of the Otani Tyre Labour Union, said that a regulation by the PM's Office to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories during working hours would need approval from the National Committee on Alcoholic Drink Policies and the PM's signature to take effect. But it was a good idea that would benefit Thai workers in terms of health, economically and for families. He urged that a ban put in effect for 24 hours a day.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-02

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy that is a great idea - don't let people drink at work, especially in the factory. Now that they have come up with a good idea perhaps they can repeal the no sales of booze between 2 and 5 pm law the reason for which has stumped people since its inception.

Boy that is a great idea - don't let people drink at work, especially in the factory. Now that they have come up with a good idea perhaps they can repeal the no sales of booze between 2 and 5 pm law the reason for which has stumped people since its inception.

The 2-5 law is so that School kids only get drunk at lunchtime and on their way home after class...

The 2-5 law is so that School kids only get drunk at lunchtime and on their way home after class...

Good idea. The kids need to be protected. :whistling:

Amazing Thailand! Here we have a report stating that dependent on their age group, between one eighth and one fifth of Thai workers are addicted to alcohol. Note, "workers" not "factory workers". The solution: ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories - that is to only part of the workforce. Absolutely no consideration of reducing industrial accidents!.

With alcohol on sale in factories for consumption at work, there is little wonder there are so many industrial accidents. Do not dither, Abhisit. Do Thai workers a favour and ban both the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories with immediate effect.

If they ban Alcohol on sale in work places that means Bars too they are places of work.

Surely the duty of care for this should come from the Factory owners and their 'insurers' the gov't is not responsible for every irresponsible factory owner.

while a good idea, Im once again open mouthed for the reasoning behind it. "IF" someone can ever write a book defining "Thai Logic" they would surely become a millionaire! 55555

With the exception of office workers ( liquid lunches ) drinking alcohol at work or being under the influence of alcohol means Instant dismissal with most companies in The West,

And to operate machinery whilst intoxicated can be a criminal offence.

But hey This is Thailand

while a good idea, Im once again open mouthed for the reasoning behind it. "IF" someone can ever write a book defining "Thai Logic" they would surely become a millionaire! 55555

I'm gonna start writing the said book now----please send 25% deposit.B) 1. no drink during working hours. 2 factories selling to workers, to be closed. 3. Tesco-Big C-and the like to sell alcohol when all babies are in bed,:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

"......Amazing Thailand! Here we have a report stating that dependent on their age group, between one eighth and one fifth of Thai workers are addicted to alcohol. Note, "workers" not "factory workers". The solution: ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories - that is to only part of the workforce. Absolutely no consideration of reducing industrial accidents!....."

No, they said 8% & 5% so that would be 1 in 13 and 1 in 20 for those respective age groups.

I would think the rate of people addicted to alcohol is probably that high in the west....at least in the UK anyway :whistling:

that ban only applies to single bottles,, just buy a case of beer,,,,,,,,,

"......Amazing Thailand! Here we have a report stating that dependent on their age group, between one eighth and one fifth of Thai workers are addicted to alcohol. Note, "workers" not "factory workers". The solution: ban the sale and consumption of alcohol in factories - that is to only part of the workforce. Absolutely no consideration of reducing industrial accidents!....."

No, they said 8% & 5% so that would be 1 in 13 and 1 in 20 for those respective age groups.

I would think the rate of people addicted to alcohol is probably that high in the west....at least in the UK anyway :whistling:

These figures are rubbish--making it a small problem--NOT SO--last year it was stated that over 60% were alcoholics in RURAL Issan areas, and my friend -boss of health in my town would confirm that---are these figures telling me it's a reflection of m/cycle riders %...............Do the workers walk to WORK ???????????

......because the kind of shop owner that will sell alchohol to underage kids, obvisouly would not break the law by selling between 2-5pm. I think its a great law....... :whistling:

There are no laws re drinking and working in the States. There are some rules/policy with certain companies and offices such as law enforcement and major companies. Many small companies have written policy.

However, most workers have had the common sense, not to mention the emotional maturity and responsibilty, to not require government inacting statutes.

it took me awhile to understand, but its really very easy.

LOS is a country of 65 million self-interested people packed together like a can of sardines.

if i want to predict what a Thai will do, i just figure out what is in their absolute best interest and i know the answer.

Thais will screw over anybody that isn't in their nuclear family.

Especially on holidays

Edited by ESB7

In Canada, heavy use of alcohol among 15-24 yrs is 12% as opposed to 3.9% over 24. Of that, 3% is considered the rate for true alcoholics above 24 yrs.. In the work place, white collar workers consume more at work (lunch) then blue collar. It is thought that this is due to blue collar workers requiring more hands on type of work. There is a greater concern for worker safety in the work place for blue collar then white collar, but they drive home after work which is not the company's responsibilty. Even at 3%, this is a large number of people and a great deal more in Thailand that are out and about 24 hours a day. As a note to this, I have seen more public intoxication in Canada then here in Thailand??? I have to ask "would you like to board your aircraft in Bangkok going to where ever knowing the pilots had a couple of beer with lunch?".

it took me awhile to understand, but its really very easy.

LOS is a country of 65 million self-interested people packed together like a can of sardines.

if i want to predict what a Thai will do, i just figure out what is in their absolute best interest and i know the answer.

Thais will screw over anybody that isn't in their nuclear family.

News Flash.......This just in.....DuuuUUUuuuhhh!!!

Bahahahaha....And in other news,,,humph.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply.

The French have an advantage though. It's called common sense.

Granted some will abuse their privilege, but the majority are sensible and don't over do it. In Thailand, it is completely the opposite.

A few drink responsibly, but the majority can't control themselves.

In France during lunch hour we love to have a drink with our meals,mostly wine.laugh.gif