Good Steakhouse In Bkk?

bkk1970

I would say the best as do many others and the most expensive is the New York Steakhouse in the JW Marriott.

Fantastic cant fault anything about the place.

Although was entertaining watching a guy in shorts and sleeveless t-shirt trying to get a table without a reservation and a little isaan honey in jeans on his arm.

Needless to say the manager said they were fully booked. (Having just told us it was the quietest he had seen it this month!)

:o

I would also recommend the Sissler which can be found at the World Trade Center and at several other spots. They have a good steak, and I even buy a bunch of it frozen to take home. Comes closest to American Steak as I can find taste wise.

Their baked potatoes are good too and overall the prices are reasonable. A favorite tourist eatery so to speak.

Daveyo

I would also recommend the Sissler which can be found at the World Trade Center and at several other spots.  They have a good steak, and I even buy a bunch of it frozen to take home.  Comes closest to American Steak as I can find taste wise.

Their baked potatoes are good too and overall the prices are reasonable.  A favorite tourist eatery so to speak.

Daveyo

Hum. I only gave them one try and it was in Chiang Mai but it was the worst excuse for a steak I have ever had, anywhere (and that includes most of Asia, Africa, Europe and the Near East). Perhaps I was just unlucky, but I would sure not want people to think it came close to American Steak.

Sizzler's not bad actually, had a few decent steaks there recently. Best steak I ever had was at the Oriental at the "Lord Jims" and Lordy was it good.

Terd, Sizzlers?? OMG! :D Just kidding but 'back home' this place is know as the Mc'y D's of steak joints and is a real joke... otoh, salad bar's alright really (oopz, just nuked another potential advertiser there) :o

Ok, out on my limb then, Steak One down the road from Nana used to be great- well, still is but recently changed hands and upped the prices. Still, at less than 400 bt a go for an imported "down home" style backyard bbq filet, it'll do! :D

I would also recommend the Sissler which can be found at the World Trade Center and at several other spots.  They have a good steak, and I even buy a bunch of it frozen to take home.  Comes closest to American Steak as I can find taste wise.

Their baked potatoes are good too and overall the prices are reasonable.  A favorite tourist eatery so to speak.

Daveyo

Sizzler, no way dude, ok to take the mia noi too but c'mon its not a good steak. If you wanna buy a good steak then the New York Steaks in Villa Mart are tasty as.

Why would you want to eat steak in Thailand? Whenever i'm back in the U.S. I make sure to gorge myself on as much quality steak as possible so as not to have this problem when I go abroad. THen when i'm in Thailand I gorge myself on the fine Thai, Chinese, and seafood food available. It works.

New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott, with USDA prime beef, is the best steakhouse in Bangkok. Best to stick to the pork chops & salad bar at Sizzlers.

Edited by camble

Is what they sell at Sizzler mostly the steaks or the salads? hmmm, I don't like zer place so much; Outback is better value for low grade steak....on the other hand for high quality....

Well, having spent some time in USA, I would say I prefer grass fed steak vs. grain fed; healthier, no fat lines and I like the taste...I also cannot eat the massive steaks you guys (as in you Americans) serve there. but also it comes down to cooking so....

- NY Steak House is very nice

- Fireplace Grill in Holiday Inn (an old classic that reopened recently, best steak I have had for a while)

- Landmark Hotel at the top (u cannot select a huge cut, but since I cannot stomach eating huge pieces of steak it was great for me)

- the one in the sort of shopping mall opposite Central Chitlom inside is good as well; on the corner of Langsuan

I prefer Aussie over US, and NZ or Japanese over either Aussie or US; don't really trust the US beef that much since it is apparently loaded with drugs/hormones, and I find it tends to be a bit fatty with those fat lines....

New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott, with USDA prime beef, is the best steakhouse in Bangkok.  Best to stick to the pork chops & salad bar at Sizzlers.

have they started serving USDA beef again at the New York Steak House? the last time i was there they had argentinian beef and it was dissappointing.

Edited by thedude

i must admit the steak in outback was superb: although over priced. but ill certaily check the others out. if sizzlers is top quality USA style steak then im never going to eat steak in the USA: it is crap and anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about food. but there again how many of you have ever worked in a top restaurant? :D:o:D

Fireplace Grill

address: InterContinental Hotel President, Pleonchit Rd.

openinghours: Mon-Fri, 12:30-2:30pm, 6:30-10:30pm, Sat-Sun only for dinner

tel: (02)-656 0444

url: www.bangkok.intercontinental.com

The Rib Room

address: Landmark Hotel, Sukhumvit Rd.

openinghours: Mon-Fri, lunch and dinner, weekend only evening from 6:30pm-10:30 pm

tel: (02)-2540404

Hamilton’s Steak House

address: Dusit Thani Hotel, 946 Rama IV Rd.

openinghours: daily, 11:30-2pm, 6:30-10pm

tel: (02)-2360450

Livingstone’s

Sukhumvit Soi 33

http://www.livingstones.co.th/steak-house/

Steak One

Sukhumvit Soi 4

Neil’s Tavern

58/4 SOI RUAM RUDEE, WIRELESS RD. BANGKOK 10330, THAILAND

TEL : 02-256-6874-6, 02-256-6644 FAX : 02-650-9740

http://www.neil.co.th/history.html

(serving USDA beef)

New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott Hotel

4 Soi 2, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, 10110 Thailand

i must admit the steak in outback was superb: although over priced. but ill certaily check the others out. if sizzlers is top quality USA style steak then im never going to eat steak in the USA: it is crap and anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about food. but there again how many of you have ever worked in a top restaurant?  :D  :o  :D

In the USA, Sizzler is about the worst quality steak that you can find, and it is much better than the ones that they export to South East Asia.

I think that Sizzler out here sells some kind of very cheap quality US beef, but it is not really steak.

As far as American beef being "full of hormones", who gives a flying fluck?

It is the best tasting beef for the price in the world and how often do you have one anyway?

If you want low fat, eat brown rice and tofu! :D

i must admit the steak in outback was superb: although over priced. but ill certaily check the others out. if sizzlers is top quality USA style steak then im never going to eat steak in the USA: it is crap and anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about food. but there again how many of you have ever worked in a top restaurant?  :D  :D  :D

Hmmm if I recall think Sizzler went bankrupt in yankland - explains heaps!!! :o

<snip>

I prefer Aussie over US, and NZ or Japanese over either Aussie or US; don't really trust the US beef that much since it is apparently loaded with drugs/hormones, and I find it tends to be a bit fatty with those fat lines....

Neil's Tavern.

http://www.neil.co.th/itemtype.php?cat=1&s...t=1&subsubcat=3

Antibiotics are withdrawn from cattle's diets so residue can leave the animal's system before it is slaughtered. Hormones are administered via an implant and used for 90 to 120 days. A period of time must pass after the implant is no longer emiting hormones before the animal can be slaughtered so residue can leave the animal's system.

I believe Sizzler did file bankruyptcy under Under a Chapter 11 reorganization. It was back in the 80s I think.

Edited by aughie

i must admit the steak in outback was superb: although over priced. but ill certaily check the others out. if sizzlers is top quality USA style steak then im never going to eat steak in the USA: it is crap and anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about food. but there again how many of you have ever worked in a top restaurant?  :D  :o  :D

Outback IS in the US.

Outback IS in the US.

Neither Sizzler NOR Outback NOR Tony Roma's are 'top quality' steak in the US. All three are considered very low end. No one who actually likes steak (or food in general) would ever eat at those restaurants unless forced to at gunpoint.

Steak One

Sukhumvit Soi 4

I've walked by this place a couple of times but have never tried it?

Any comments from someone who has actually dined there?

I ate there a few months ago (note that it might have changed hands recently and that prices might have been raised?) and it was good. I can't remember exactly what cut I had, maybe an Australian rib-eye? A bit on the thin side but cooked perfectly (for me, R) served with choice of potatoes, maybe a veggie (not the olive in the martini!)? I chose one of the least expensive reds. Service is good if a bit rushed.

Chokchai looks very interesting. Has anyone dined there?

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...
Steak One

Sukhumvit Soi 4

I ate there a few months ago (note that it might have changed hands recently and that prices might have been raised?) and it was good. I can't remember exactly what cut I had, maybe an Australian rib-eye? A bit on the thin side but cooked perfectly (for me, R) served with choice of potatoes, maybe a veggie (not the olive in the martini!)? I chose one of the least expensive reds. Service is good if a bit rushed.

Chokchai looks very interesting. Has anyone dined there?

chokchai's t-bones are good, but dont try the other cuts, i've been dissappointed.

the other problem is they serve the steaks on sizzling hot plates, so if you like your meat less than medium, you are going to have to eat quick.

Why would you want to eat steak in Thailand? Whenever i'm back in the U.S. I make sure to gorge myself on as much quality steak as possible so as not to have this problem when I go abroad. THen when i'm in Thailand I gorge myself on the fine Thai, Chinese, and seafood food available. It works.

Why would I want to eat steak fullstop? But that is another question.

"It works." For you perhaps which is fine but surely however you do not suggest that we only eat the food of the home country at all times.?

If you are here for a few days or on holiday perhaps but it is far from realistic in amost all situations.

Do you always go to Mexico for a taco or Rome for a slice.

If you do come here for that once in a life time holiday are you suggesting that a visit to the local thai restaurant to try and recreate some of the holiday magic is inappropriate

What about those who live in Thailand and for whatever reason do not wish to travel?

One of the reasons i chose to live in Thailand was the food. It is a rare day indeed that i do not eat at least one simple local meal and I pine for few western "treats" but if I have to travel to New York to eat a steak it would be a tad pricy.

I will now look at the prices at the New York Steakhouse on Sukhumvit in a new light

• 3 weeks later...

The Park Avenue Steakhouse got a decent review in today's Bangkok Post...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/en/Realtime/04Nov2005_real11.php

Meaty affair

Imported beef remains the indisputable star at steakhouse favoured by big shots

Reviewed by PLA MUK YAK

Park Avenue Steakhouse, Mercury Building, ground floor, Opposite Central Chidlom, Tel 02-658-5880, Open daily 6-10:30pm : After four years, Park Avenue Steakhouse is still going solid as a purveyor of beef-oriented delight. It sees no need to trouble itself with fanciful whims, knowing that the pleasure of all beefeaters comes simply from top-grade materials and a few glasses of tasty wine. Our recent visit confirms that Park Avenue will continue to do exactly just that, and its loyal clientele, many of them big shot politicians and army colonels, will keep dining here for many more years to come.

A slight shift in managerial structure hasn't affected the restaurant. Real estate corporation Natural Park Plc took over the management of Mercury Building a year ago. Then it moved in to buy two flagship outlets on the ground floor, Auberge Dab and Park Avenue Steakhouse. On an average day, Auberge Dab, dominantly French but flexible in its offering of western dishes, is lively with streams of international customers who come for its supple seabass and ecstatic oysters. The steakhouse, meanwhile, is relatively quieter, and thus acquires a solemn, gentlemanly air of the finest dining venue.

The restaurant's dark wood, upholstered high chairs and a blind pianist lend it a cinematic value - something from Scorsese or Coppola. The knowledge that cabinet ministers and military generals sometimes entertain themselves here adds a keen enigma to the place. What lightens the mood, besides the pianoman, are the friendly waiters supervised by the knowledgeable manager Paiboon Kavila. At the far end of the wall, a giant oil painting, reproducing that iconic photo of a young HM King Bhumibol chatting with Elvis Presley, speaks for the cozy formality of the restaurant.

I was once seized by the fear that all Bangkok restaurants would stop serving meat, as the number of non-beefeaters rises faster than the stock index. But of course that's my extreme panic. Park Avenue lists a number of non-beef appetisers and entrees in the menu but it's a comfort - a blessing! - to see that imported beef remains the indisputable star.

Both Australian and Argentine meat are present, in sirloin, tenderloin and rib eye cuts (from 1,300 to 1,800 baht). From Japan comes the prized Kobe steak, at 370 baht per ounce. The ban on US beef, issued when mad cow disease caused worldwide panic, is officially still in effect, though the grapevine reports that by December local steakhouses will be able to celebrate its comeback. To inject some colour, Park Avenue adds a special menu in November with roasted fillet of venison. In December, to welcome the expected lift of the embargo, the roasted US prime rib will be featured as the dish of the month.

The quality of every dish we enjoyed that evening can be summed up easily: the ingredients are first-class and the cooking flair solid and subtle, without any pointless fuss. Our New England-style clam chowder (240 baht) was thick, rich and full of meaty clams swimming in a soup of cubed carrots. For salad, we were treated to the steamed Alaskan king crab's leg with French dressing (1,600 baht). The red-and-white meat of the Arctic crab was both firm and munchy, with an inherent sweetness that blended with the cream dressing.

For the meat, we went for a juicy slab of Kobe steak, medium-rare, served with a ball of spinach and stuffed potato. From the first bite, the experience, please forgive my rhetoric, is something of a transcendental revelation. It's a pleasure to all of the five senses. The beef's texture had the right elasticity, its fatty rim shiny and tempting. The description explained that the slab was grilled over tamarind-tree charcoal, which gave off a slight whiff of aroma. As usual the beef had been marinated, but it's the quality of this full-flavoured meat itself that made it a winner.

Two more dishes went around the table, and it's the pan-fried duck liver foie gras (780 baht) that proved to be another not-to-be-missed. Devoid of the unctuous effects, the foie gras was fried at the right temperature that made it tender, savoury and flavourful, and we kicked it down nicely with a glass of red Oak Vineyard. As if to toy with our heart condition, six oysters were served cold with a kiss of shallot vinegar (720 baht); I could manage only two, though my companions weren't complaining to be held responsible for the rest.

Our last course was grand marnier souffle with a scoop of passion fruit sorbet, which was gentle, cool and not over-sweet. With a few more sips of the wine, we concluded this perfect meal.

Steak One

Sukhumvit Soi 4

Had a New York there and it was excellent,

You can watch them cook it from the open grill bar on the street side or go into the attached enclosed seating area with air con,

(decent selection of wines also), :o