Is Everything In The Royal Project Store Organic, Or Just, "Safe"?

DocHolliday2006

Hi. I'm not quite sure what the name of the place is (don't speak or read Thai), but I've been shopping at a store that someone told me was called the Royal Project store. The store is on the north side of Suthep Road. I'm not not positive about the closest cross street, but it's somewhere in the vicinity of where Suthep meets Kheland 4. There are two single-direction roads, one heading north to south and the other south to north, very close to the store.

My question is if everything in the store is organic, or if only some of the stuff is.

There are like 30 different kinds of similar-looking tomatoes all at different price ranges, so I'm suspecting only some are organic. Anyone know? None of the packages actually say organic. They just say Royal project and the name of the vegetable/fruit in English.

Any good way to tell organic from non organic?

Any insight welcome.

Thanks.

I think it is 'pesticide controlled' meaning they do test every batch for pesticide traces and will reject them if they are over their standard.

What that standard is I don't know. You can try to get in touch with someone there and ask.

I can find out more myself as well; for me 'pesticide controlled' already sounds much better than 'complete free for all' at markets. ;)

"During the past three decades, the Royal Project has successfully fulfilled His Majesty's wish by placing emphasis mainly on R&D which lead to the proper cultivation of highland crops for opium substitution."

"The message was simple, the task enormous, education, research, development, production, marketing and distribution -- right across the board for animal husbandry, agriculture, horticulture, viticulture and even hydroponics. Under His Majesty's leadership, Royal Projects Foundation was established. Dedicated, knowledgeable professionals were appointed to direct each Project and they were supported by teams of qualified personnel from universities, government departments, students and, of course, the Thai and Hilltribe farmers."

There might be some organic farming going on but that is not the nature of the project.

I was told that it is not organic but "pesticide-free". But Winnie says it's "pesticide-controlled" and that sounds different to my ears than "pesticide-free" ... ermm.gif

The markets at JJ Market and Nonghoi are also "pesticide-free" or organic?

Some of it is organic, most is not, however, the royal project produce is certainly among the best quality produce you can find in Chiang Mai. It's definitely safer to eat than all the Chinese imports that have flooded the Thai market since 2003. Royal project produce is sold all over the city, and it's still relatively cheap. I consider myself lucky to live nearby the farms.

Cheers, CMX

Hello Doc,

Organic means sustainable agriculture which means no synthetic pesticides, synthetic herbicides and synthetic fertilizer. It also means farming in such a way that you do not harm the land/environment.

Actually there are many diffinitions of organic and many certifiers have different rules and guidelines.

For those of us whose primary concern is our own health organic means no chemicals. The Royal Projects are not based on organic principles.

But there are a number of places were you can buy organic produce:

Farmers market at JJ Market is one of them. There are two orphanages, that I know of that have organic farms, they welcome customers to come, interact with the children and buy their organic produce. There are worst ways of spending a lazy Sunday!!

How can you proof that something is organic? Only one way: trust. How can a farmer earn that trust? By allowing the customers unconditional entry to his farm. The above mentioned organic suppliers will allow you that.

Cheers

R'tje

That brings up a good question.

What fruits and vegetables sold in CM come from China?

Would seem to reason some like Pomegranetes, Plums, Carrots, Wheat products. Some nuts.

Anyone research this?

Apples, pears, persimmons, and carrots for 100% sure. I think you may be right about pomegranates and plums.

How can you proof that something is organic? Only one way: trust.

Don't be silly. You can, and Royal Project does perform tests to check for traces of pesticides. If those are found at a level that breaks a standard then the produce is rejected.

You are always going to find insignificant traces of pesticides, just if a nearby farmer uses them then traces may end up in your product. As long as it stays below a set standard then that's okay.

How can you proof that something is organic? Only one way: trust.

Don't be silly. You can, and Royal Project does perform tests to check for traces of pesticides. If those are found at a level that breaks a standard then the produce is rejected.

You are always going to find insignificant traces of pesticides, just if a nearby farmer uses them then traces may end up in your product. As long as it stays below a set standard then that's okay.

Winnie,

Have to disagree.

1)The fact that something is contaminated with chemicals does not make it not organic.

2)The fact that something is not contaminated with chemicals does not make it organic.

Ad 1) A couple of years ago: A German company bought 2 containers sesame from a certified organic project in Africa. On testing they found certain pesticides levels just above the MLR (maximum residue levels) so they could not sell it as organic. They decided to mix the contaminated sesame with some old stock which had no residues at all. The new mix was tested again and this time the pesticide levels were below the MLR. They sold the whole stock as certified organic. This is normal in the organic biz and an accepted practice.

Ad 2) The latest generation of pesticides are toxic for a certain period only. So you can spray your crops, kill all the pest and if you test the crop 3 weeks later you will not find any chemicals at all.

Ergo: Organic can not be proven. You can test products but it will say little about the farm practice, which makes a farm organic or not.

Cheers

R'tje

A Thai friend of mine down south who grows a lot of stuff for restaurants said Thaksin made a deal with the Chinese...Thailland would eliminate its apple orchards. China could import apples and control the market. Thaksin would get a big pay off. Haven't been able to find anything about it on wikileaks.

That brings up a good question.

What fruits and vegetables sold in CM come from China?

Would seem to reason some like Pomegranetes, Plums, Carrots, Wheat products. Some nuts.

Anyone research this?

Apples, pears, persimmons, and carrots for 100% sure. I think you may be right about pomegranates and plums.

Is JJ market open all the time or just at certain times/days? If so, do you know when?

Thanks.

I was told that it is not organic but "pesticide-free". But Winnie says it's "pesticide-controlled" and that sounds different to my ears than "pesticide-free" ... ermm.gif

There is a big farm field north of Chiang Mai University in the middle of the city. Not sure if it's part of the University. There is a permanent store as well as an open-air market type thing along the north side of the field Is it organic? Someone told me it was.

[

quote name=DocHolliday2006' timestamp='1304531474' post='4401658]

Is JJ market open all the time or just at certain times/days? If so, do you know when?

Thanks.

Edited by DocHolliday2006

There was something on the news the other day saying that the European Union has rejected many of the shipments of vegetables that they imported from Thailand. After testing them they were found to have unusually high levels of pesticides.

After doing a search, this was discussed on the Thailand News Forum of TV.