Thailand No Target For International Music Stars!?

sambosoul

I'm wondering why Thailand, especially Bangkok, is no target for international (rock) bands. I was told that the music scene in Thailand is pretty extensive, but why do international bands barely come to Bangkok? Are there any security issues? Why do they prefer countries such as Japan or New Zealand?

I remember when Bon Jovi rocked at Bangkok in 1995... then Deep Purple last year, and Linkin Park.

What do you guys think, why do we never see all the great bands here?

don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't consider The Eagles or Santana as the current superstars of the 21 century! I love Mr.Slowhand, but ya..and Maroon 5? ;-)

Hmmm....so the likes of The Eagles, Clapton, and Carlos Santana would be the least of those artists to be influential, yes? As for your beloved 21st century artists.....most fall into that copy-cat homogeny. Contemporary styles and originality sucks today.

I think Thais in general have gone over to Korean or Japanese bands.

I never hear the good Western rock bands on radio nowadays, only the sweet pop ( Maroon 5) and female singers (Beyonce etc.)

don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't consider The Eagles or Santana as the current superstars of the 21 century! I love Mr.Slowhand, but ya..and Maroon 5? ;-)

Hmmm....so the likes of The Eagles, Clapton, and Carlos Santana would be the least of those artists to be influential, yes? As for your beloved 21st century artists.....most fall into that copy-cat homogeny. Contemporary styles and originality sucks today.

lol old man talk

lol old man talk

Correct..."target audiences"...who's going to go to concerts, the backpackers or the retiree "old man"??

mario299 :jap:

Do miss having so many medium clubs next to me..

1 week i had HIM, Placebo(my fav), The australian pink floyd copycat show, Coheed and cambria(Terrible terrible band but they were big that year).

Top jazz, rock, indie and pop stars came every week and in thailand i have not seen 1 show in 4 years

My wife used to be a producer with RS Productions. She remembers that Bon Jovi concert fondly. It seems Mr. Bon Jovi took her hand and kissed it. I kid her that she hasn't washed it since, but of course that's not true.. What she hasn't done is shut up about it since.

simple answer is a huge portion of the target demographic (lower/lower middle class) cant afford a ticket.

that is why gigs that do come are limited to an older market that may be more middle class.

And thailand is notorious for crap sound and issues with the venue.

Then there are political stability issues. .

not to mention that tours promote album sales and when no one is buying original copies.

things like disney on ice and walking with dinosaurs do very well though as their demographic is entirely different.

Edited by nocturn

not to mention that tours promote album sales and when no one is buying original copies.

Touring these days is not as much about promoting album sales, it's more about the direct revenue for the performing artist/s. Record companies get most of the profit from album sales and then you add in the piracy issues of today, it makes sense to tour more.

Touring these days is not as much about promoting album sales, it's more about the direct revenue for the performing artist/s. Record companies get most of the profit from album sales and then you add in the piracy issues of today, it makes sense to tour more.

agreed, but the rest stands.

i did a fair amount of promotion a few years back, and these were the problems i encountered.

even international djs who travel with records, cds, computers and little else require significant sponsorship to make up for the huge shortfall you encounter on their fees due to a dollar to baht shortfall at the door. that or a free stay somewhere 5 star between other lucrative gigs in the region.

i did a fair amount of promotion a few years back, and these were the problems i encountered.

even international djs who travel with records, cds, computers and little else require significant sponsorship to make up for the huge shortfall you encounter on their fees due to a dollar to baht shortfall at the door. that or a free stay somewhere 5 star between other lucrative gigs in the region.

I agree the rest stands for sure, as bands are actually touring more but not coming to Thailand is attributed to the issues you mentioned.

used to do a bit of promoting myself, and it wasn't for the money wink.gif

I agree the rest stands for sure, as bands are actually touring more but not coming to Thailand is attributed to the issues you mentioned.

used to do a bit of promoting myself, and it wasn't for the money wink.gif

indeed, but being in the hole sucks

I have been traveling around the region lately, and Bruno Mars, for example, was in Cebu and Manila last month, then Jakarta and KL, but no Thai venues. Same with Justin Bieber for next month in Manila, KL, and Jakarta (not that I want to see him. :) ) Taylor Swift was in Manila, Hong Kong, Seoul, Osaka, and Tokyo in Feb. No Thai venue.

I happen to like Placebo and was glad to see they came to Thailand, but they can hardly be considered a major band. It seems to me that most of the higher draw bands and performers seem to skip past Thailand.

Thais are mostly interested in Thai music. Western bands just aren't that popular, and most aren't willing to shell out big bucks to see them. People are used to seeing their favorite bands for almost free, not paying $50-100 entrance fee and then drinks on top of that. I've seen a lot of big name Thai bands and they've mostly been at clubs where I just had to pay the price of the bottle of whiskey and I got to see the band play for free. The clubs are always packed like sardines when a Thai band is playing. Only international acts I've seen here are DJs, and hardly any Thais showed up to them, just not much interest.

Everything Korean is of course hugely popular now though, and Rain is coming this month I think. There is even a Thai chick in a K-Pop group now. I'd expect more of them to come. I can't stand K-Pop though so this is very bad for me if I get dragged to a show

Thais are mostly interested in Thai music. Western bands just aren't that popular, and most aren't willing to shell out big bucks to see them. People are used to seeing their favorite bands for almost free, not paying $50-100 entrance fee and then drinks on top of that. I've seen a lot of big name Thai bands and they've mostly been at clubs where I just had to pay the price of the bottle of whiskey and I got to see the band play for free. The clubs are always packed like sardines when a Thai band is playing. Only international acts I've seen here are DJs, and hardly any Thais showed up to them, just not much interest.

Everything Korean is of course hugely popular now though, and Rain is coming this month I think. There is even a Thai chick in a K-Pop group now. I'd expect more of them to come. I can't stand K-Pop though so this is very bad for me if I get dragged to a show

2AM, which I have had drilled into my head is the "best" K-Pop group, is coming here. On the other hand, Talyor Swift is extremely popular with Thai girls, but she is skipping the Kingdom.

you should start emailing/facebooking the promoters - main one being BECTERO, and another 'new kid on the block' Rock N Rolla - the public gets what the public wants!

Don Henley is a thief who cares nothing about the Eagles true fans. He is a money grubbing scumbag and I wouldn't pay 5 baht to support him.

Best answer. Simply no interest. So no need to come up with all the conspiracy theories such as income, sound issues with the venue, political stability issues, etc., etc. A lot of the young Thais seem to be really into hip-hop these days, however. That and all things Korean.

Best answer. Simply no interest. So no need to come up with all the conspiracy theories such as income, sound issues with the venue, political stability issues, etc., etc. A lot of the young Thais seem to be really into hip-hop these days, however. That and all things Korean.

Yeah plus if the shoes on the other foot how much interest is shown in Asian bands by western folks? I guarantee my friends and family back in the UK couldn't name 10 current Asian music stars if their life truly depended on it. Or 5 come to think of it. Or even 1.

Yeah plus if the shoes on the other foot how much interest is shown in Asian bands by western folks? I guarantee my friends and family back in the UK couldn't name 10 current Asian music stars if their life truly depended on it. Or 5 come to think of it. Or even 1.

To say this is an Asian thing does not explain why the big international bands and performers hit Manila, Jakarta, and KL but not Bangkok. There has to be something different about Bangkok when compared to the other venues which keep them away.

as usual you over simplify.

as usual you over simplify.

Not sure what style or what the youngsters are into today but i do know there is a lot of wearing your jeans half way down your ass style going on...

saying that went to a concert last year watched 4 thai rock bands LOSO.MICRO,BODYSLAM and BIGASS all for the meesley sum of 100baht a ticketwai.gif