Viability Of Small Fish Farm In Isaan.

Jezz

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge about the viability of small-scale fish farming in Isaan? My wife has a farm with riverfront access, and, apparently, the rights to develop a fish farm along that stretch of river. She is thinking of forming a small group – as they call it here – to pursue the possibility. My question is, if I agreed to help fund a modest element of the project, how likely is it I'd ever see a return on the small investment? I don't want an income – rather a pocket money addition to our budget.

Very feasible! All would depend on how you might get on with your local market and whatnot. A decent situation would be a benefit. Go for it!!!:thumbsup:

That's good news! Thanks for the info. It's still in the early stages.

"Pursuing a small group" would concern me.

Invest in your wife, by all means, but think twice about investing others.

The price of fish has rocketed so it could be the right area to consider.

I am told you have a big pond on your property Cardholder. Perhaps you could fill it with some fish.

I might just do that (once I have found a way to stop thieving buggers from removing them !).

Farming from a river would not have the same issues.

"Pursuing a small group" would concern me.

Invest in your wife, by all means, but think twice about investing others.

The price of fish has rocketed so it could be the right area to consider.

There would be no investment in the group - only the missus. The idea of a group is to combine/share time etc, and enable more economicaly-sized shipments to secure best market price.Each group member finances their bit themselves.Thanks for pointing this out - that's why I checked it out! Appreciated.

I am told you have a big pond on your property Cardholder. Perhaps you could fill it with some fish.

Actually Nick, this might be more common than not. We've 4 extensive ponds on our properties......and everyone we know has some sort of fish-laddened pond of some sort. Obviously, for familial use.

How many times was this posted? A friend used to tell me "the only way to make a small fortune in Thailand is to come with a big one". Any business involving locals, who will always and inevitably fail to come up with the readies, is doomed to failure.

Other than that, good luck in your venture.............

How many times was this posted? A friend used to tell me "the only way to make a small fortune in Thailand is to come with a big one". Any business involving locals, who will always and inevitably fail to come up with the readies, is doomed to failure.

The best advice I can give is "do your research". Look at cage farming. It's more productive and better controlled than ponds. Start with red tilapia (tap-tim) easily sourced as 3" fingerlings they have a conversion rate of 1.35 @ a food cost of about 12.5bt per kilo. Look at your local market for sales price.3-4" fish will grow to 500gram in 4 months. Good luck

The best advice I can give is "do your research". Look at cage farming. It's more productive and better controlled than ponds. Start with red tilapia (tap-tim) easily sourced as 3" fingerlings they have a conversion rate of 1.35 @ a food cost of about 12.5bt per kilo. Look at your local market for sales price.3-4" fish will grow to 500gram in 4 months. Good luck

Sound advice - thanks. We are researching a number of factors, so it's early days yet. I'm copying your info to keep for reference.

I suggest you check out the "Farming in Thailand Forum".

There should be plenty topics and advice about fish farming if you do a search! :)

There should be plenty topics and advice about fish farming if you do a search! :)

Yes, I'm doing that too - thanks. I already have a feeling I'll not be going ahead with idea, though!

Yes, I'm doing that too - thanks. I already have a feeling I'll not be going ahead with idea, though!

Sounds wise to me! :rolleyes:

Decent advice, Bergen. As I quite enjoy that broader forum and don't spend enough time there!!:)

Quite dreamy.