5 bodies found in north Mexico coal mine explosion, 10 still missing

News_Editor

5 bodies found in north Mexico coal mine explosion, 10 still missing

2011-05-04 20:56:34 GMT+7 (ICT)

SABINAS, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) -- Rescue workers on Wednesday recovered a fifth body following Tuesday's coal mine explosion in the state of Coahuila, which is located in northern Mexico, that trapped at least 14 miners, officials said.

Mexican Labor Secretary Javier Lozano early Wednesday morning confirmed the finding of a fifth body inside the coal mine in Coahuila's coal-rich municipality of Sabinas, just hours after the first four fatal victims had been announced.

The explosion occurred on Tuesday morning, at around 8:45 a.m. local time. Mexico's Attorney General's Office said preliminary data indicated that the blast was caused by gas in the mine's third well, located around kilometer 3 of federal highway 57.

A 15-year-old male was injured in the blast and taken to a nearby hospital, but his right arm had to be amputated due to the severe wounds caused by the explosion. He was standing outside the mine during the incident, and hospital officials reported that he had sustained burns to his face and airways.

The Mayor of Sabinas Jesus Mario Montemayor condemned the mine's owner for having an underage boy working at the site and not registering him in Mexico's social security health services.

In addition, Montemayor noted that the situation was not encouraging, considering that the powerful explosion was able to cause such severe injuries to the teenage boy, who was located outside the mine during the incident.

On Tuesday night, Lozano identified the four fatal victims as Mario Alberto Anguiano Montes, Leobardo Sanchez Santos, Isaias Valero Perez, and Julio Cesar Resendiz Dominguez. The fifth body was identified as Juan Carlos Escobedo Chavez.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon also on Tuesday expressed regret and assured that his government would fully support the rescue efforts, adding that federal and state agencies were cooperating in the matter.

"We are praying that the trapped miners are alive and well," Calderon stated. "We are doing everything we can to rescue them, in full cooperation with the local authorities."

The coal mine is owned by Binsa mining company and is located about 350 kilometers (217 miles) from the state's capital of Saltillo. Rescue efforts are being conducted by members of the Grupo Acerero del Norte, but Chilean experts are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday to assist in the rescue operation.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-04