Hidden Costs

stuuu

hi guys

just a quick question or two, will be there in january house hunting, are there any property taxes that i should be aware of, or such a thing as the council tax as there is here in the uk?

also are the utilities easy to sort out, or is there just one supplier? hopefully there is cable tv, and broadband as well?

stuuu

There is currently no tax for normal home or town house but there is for the shop house/living quarters upstairs type place. There is talk every few years of having such a tax but so far little service equals little tax. There is a tax for sale/transfer of property. And foreigners are not allowed to own land if you are not aware of that rule. Now if you buy a condo (some of which a foreigner can own) you will have the normal fees and in most cases little control.

There is one electric, usually one cable, one or two phone (if any available at all) and one water. Gas is from a local shop house.

• 1 month later...
Hi Can anyone tell me what electricity cost might be for 3 bed bungalow with 5 air con units. Thanks

It is very hard to say. My monthly electric bill has ranged from a low of 5,400 to a high of 8,800 over the past 12 months. I have four split airconditioners but only one is normally used during the day. If you have multi refrigerators and other electric items the costs can come from them even more than a/c. My household is normally ten persons so is probably not representative.

The Sales Tax is usually met by the seller, but make sure this is agreed

before you make any deals.

There is no council tax.

There may be an estate charge if you live in a closed area, but usually quite

small, a few 100 baht.

My costs are water 2-300 baht a month, Electricity 4-5000 a month.

That is about it.

hi guys

just a quick question or two, will be there in january house hunting, are there any property taxes that i should be aware of, or such a thing as the council tax as there  is here in the uk?

also are the utilities easy to sort out, or is there just one supplier? hopefully there is cable tv, and broadband as well?

stuuu

We've got ADSL here. The two main suppliers are TOT and TT&T. I went on the TOT package a few months ago for 500 Baht a month ( there's also 750 and 1,000). I'm no computer expert, but I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's working. It's certainly OK for me after putting up with dial up for years!!

Friends have had big problems with TT&T. This is nationwide, I think, judging by the thread on the computer forum.

Yes there's cable, but the standard is pretty low. We get Fox News, an adventure channel, Reality tv and a movie channel. You might want to check out UBC.

Hi Can anyone tell me what electricity cost might be for 3 bed bungalow with 5 air con units. Thanks

It is very hard to say. My monthly electric bill has ranged from a low of 5,400 to a high of 8,800 over the past 12 months. I have four split airconditioners but only one is normally used during the day. If you have multi refrigerators and other electric items the costs can come from them even more than a/c. My household is normally ten persons so is probably not representative.

Lop,

normally 10 people :D either you are running an Orphanage (as an aquaintance of mine is doing here in Buriram) or you have been saddled with the in laws :o Or maybe you are into a bit of "free love" :D:D:D Whatever the reason for so many people there, I for one, am very happy to see you post something other than definitive Immigration advice :D The personality of some members here on TV are easily defined. You, however remain an Enigma (an inscrutable or mysterious person) to many of us. I hope this is not the last insight we get into the real Lopburi.

And just to keep the thread legit, the max I have paid for elec per month for 2 and a half people :D is 840Bht. 1 X A/C in bedroom (min 5 hrs/ night) 2 X tv's going all day :D Big Fridge, Pak Lom X 3, Stereo and a shitload of fluros. :D

Lop,

SNIP/You, however remain an Enigma (an inscrutable or mysterious person) to many of us. I hope this is not the last insight we get into the real Lopburi.

Well spotted- Lopburi3, man o' mystery. Rarely offers a personal comment and one of the most helpfull TV'rs around. Kudos to Lop :o

(probably wouldn't approve of being singled out but has earned it nonetheless;) Back on topic then...