Ford Fiesta Vs Mazda 2?

I picked up my black Fiesta S 2 days ago.

Very pleased, I changed the font grille as I did not like the two plastic triangle shaped things that serve no purpose at all, It looks far better all black. In fact another purchaser who was buying on the same day saw my car and wanted to then have the same, and the body kit makes it look stylish as well.

Fitted some very balck V.Cool film yesterday, now it looks the works. Very pleased with the quality of the audio system, I would rate it over my last car which was a BMW.

Complaints, sure, but only two, I hate the fact that the gear control indicaters are on the wrong side of the gear lever, basically they are suited to left hand drive cars, you just cant see then and have to look at the dashboard to ensure you are in the correct gear, I am sure I will get used to it, but when driving it home I put it in reverse by mistake, and a near disaster was just averted by an inch or two. Secondly, don't buy an armrest as an extra, its difficult (though not impossible) to get to the handbrake unless you have the armrest up or are a very slim armed female like my missus who has no problem with it, but its good for long journeys when you know you won't need it much, but not worth the extra 5,500 B IMO

Just my thoughts so far :)

Yes, those are really niggly drawbacks of the fiesta. I guess putting in the armrest is ok, as usually you don't use the handbrake when driving. Shouldn't really need it for hill starts. I've also seen those arm rests for sale on the net for about the same price as you got. A simple one like in the jazz would have sufficed I think. But having the gearshift indicator on the left side of the stick is really weird. Was the car designed in a left hand drive country?? Surely it wouldn't have cost much to have that on the other side for different markets. From photos I've seen the rear leg room is tiny when the seat is fully back - that's a major issue for seating 4 tall people. I noticed the jazz has almost as much as my civic which is pretty amazing - but overall it seems the fiesta is a better buy overall than the jazz. Let us know your fuel economy and its driving environment also:) Enjoy your new ride!! Thanks..

If you like a cool intake noise and a few extra HP there are also some intakes on the market now, though need to be gotten from overseas. Search on "J1 automotive" from the UK:) That intake fits the Thai fiesta. http://www.one2car.c...IESTA/D27110036

Edited by culicine

I started exactly the same topic a couple of months ago and it took me a long time to make up my mind and i got a lot of help from posters on this forum :)

In the end I picked the Fiesta and I collect it on Monday, just a week after ordering. I went for black, but if you want white then the wait is much longer.

I chose black as I don't like the plastic black trim that comes with every color, with black it fits in, also I dd not like the fact that there was no visible exhaust , so they are fitting chrome tail pipes (for free!!)

What did it for me was fuel economy, the voice activated air con controls and audio, the styling the performance, its definatley nippier than the Mazda, the 24 hours roadside assistance which I hope I never need, they also gave me free insurance and a body kit (worth 16,000B). I belive the free insurance co-incided with the offers at the BK Motor Show so I don't know if they will still do it, but it was not available before April for sure.

Fiesta have now sold one million cars since their launch in 2009 and from what I have seen on youtube they get good reviews. Where I live in Chiang Mai they have sold over 500 since they were launched here 6 months ago.

But FWIW and IMO don't go for the leather seat option at 16,000 baht. The times I test drove it my back was soaked after just 15 minutes driving. They are NOT factory fitted, therefore have no warrenty. After I declined them , when I went to see the car when it arrived they went to pains to show me a group of Thai guys working in the service area recovering the normal cloth seats with leather.

Like thats gonna convince me to buy them :blink:

I have always had leather in all the cars I have owned here and have found a place that does top quality leather for 10,000 baht more, and in any colour, at Ford it just comes in balck

Thanks for your experience with the Ford Fiesta and it looks a great car. I saw the Fiesta Sport yesterday on show at Big C in Chaing Mai and l am arranging a test drive for tomorrow before deciding if to buy one. The Fiesta is assembled in Rayong with some parts imported from the UK. Everything about the Fiesta Sport appeals to me especially with all the equipment and safety issues so looking forward to my test drive tomorrow

Thanks ThaiPauly - I think you get a lot more car in the fiesta that the jazz or mazda for the same money. I read that the free insurance is available from their website - how much did you pay for it? Maybe you got the body kit in liew of that. In a few weeks I'd appreciate if you can also post your fuel economy and opinions about performance in different situations. Thanks...

Will do.

With the other extras I paid just under 720,000. Both the body kit AND Insurance were free.

Pauly the Fiesta Sport i am road testing today is priced at 699000 including full body kit,road tax etc,insurance and 3 year warranty. I think Ford are running a promotional campaign

On the subject of resale value, how much out-of-pocket would you be if you sold a Fiesta after 2 years compared to a Jazz? The Fiesta hardly seems to be taking the Thai market by storm.

Actually if you read on in this thread and others similar all indications are that it IS taking the Thai market by storm and as such could likely raise the resale value of all Fords and begin a new trend of resale values for the brand..

Edited by WarpSpeed

On the subject of resale value, how much out-of-pocket would you be if you sold a Fiesta after 2 years compared to a Jazz? The Fiesta hardly seems to be taking the Thai market by storm.

Actually if you read on in this thread and others similar all indications are that it IS taking the Thai market by storm and as such could likely raise the resale value of all Fords and begin a new trend of resale values for the brand..

Correct.

In Q1 2011, Mazda2 sold 5,963 units vs. Fiesta's 3,934 units, but the 2 has been on the market a full 7 months longer, and history tells us the full sales volume doesn't start to hit until a model's been out for at least 12 months.

In the past quarter, Fiesta sales have been growing by ~13% month-on-month - if that stays on course the Fiesta will start equalling Mazda2 sales and outselling the Jazz by around the middle of this year. Once the new Ranger launches the Ford brand will get another big boost, and Fiesta sales will also benefit from that. Then next year there's the new Everest, Escape and Focus models which will also draw more people into dealerships..

So, resale prospects are looking reasonably good - there's no reason to suspect they'll do any worse than other tier-2 brands.

Correct.

In Q1 2011, Mazda2 sold 5,963 units vs. Fiesta's 3,934 units, but the 2 has been on the market a full 7 months longer, and history tells us the full sales volume doesn't start to hit until a model's been out for at least 12 months.

In the past quarter, Fiesta sales have been growing by ~13% month-on-month - if that stays on course the Fiesta will start equalling Mazda2 sales and outselling the Jazz by around the middle of this year. Once the new Ranger launches the Ford brand will get another big boost, and Fiesta sales will also benefit from that. Then next year there's the new Everest, Escape and Focus models which will also draw more people into dealerships..

So, resale prospects are looking reasonably good - there's no reason to suspect they'll do any worse than other tier-2 brands.

Also in Fords favor and unfortunately compounding the issue for the Jap brands is the wide open door too as Toyota feels the pinch from both the recent recalls and the earth quake impairing timely sales and parts deliveries, it's the perfect storm against the Jap brands..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Correct.

Also in Fords favour and unfortunately compounding the issue for the Jap brands is the wide open door too as Toyota feels the pinch from both the recent recalls and the earth quake impairing timely sales and parts deliveries, it's the perfect storm against the Jap brands..

Why against ? :huh:

Correct.

Also in Fords favour and unfortunately compounding the issue for the Jap brands is the wide open door too as Toyota feels the pinch from both the recent recalls and the earth quake impairing timely sales and parts deliveries, it's the perfect storm against the Jap brands..

Well perfect storms have never been known to be beneficial, on the contrary quite powerful and damaging..Thus the perfect storm against the Jap brands "quite damaging" to their Thai market share...

Well perfect storms have never been known to be beneficial, on the contrary quite powerful and damaging..Thus the perfect storm against the Jap brands "quite damaging" to their Thai market share...

But why are you against their stuff. UK and USA have preferred their stuff for decades, that's why UK and USA motor manufacturing is in a shit state, cos the UK and USA prefer them, and other markets. ;)

But why are you against their stuff. UK and USA have preferred their stuff for decades, that's why UK and USA motor manufacturing is in a shit state, cos the UK and USA prefer them, and other markets. ;)

Once again your quotes are fecked up so I have to delete everything prior, how do you even post like that it won't post for me if I <deleted> up my quotes like that..

So do you like every woman you meet??

Uh maybe that's a bad example, do you like every meal you eat? Neither do I, but still I don't know how you get that I'm taking any sides by the post I made? I just made mention of why things are changing and why shouldn't I be happy to see the major American brands finally doing what they should have been doing for many years past?

Besides what goes around comes around and the Japanese brands especially Toyota is now experiencing the same pains that companies like GM have that brought them down. Like being the best at sports it's much easier getting to the top then it is staying there and GM managed to stay on top for decades, quite a feat. Anyway being as I've seldom ever even owned any American cars having had bad luck with the early ones I've owned and not liking much of anything else since feeling for what they offered they were overpriced. I have previously not had any real interest before but now I do and I 'm glad to see them finally being competitive.. You're the big American car fan I'm a German car fan mostly, though I have had substantial success racing Hondas before.

I note some dislike Leather,can i suggest its a Quality issue.Connoly Leather doesn't make my back hot, but the Sportive does, some Cows are more equal than others

.I brace myself for a Transam witty on Cousins Imperial Leather V Lux..The millions of pinholes seem to work for Connoly. I'm sure the Honda Leather is Lo Grade, it but looks cool, but believe me, it ain't.bah.gif ...Sorry bout the Gap,its a G.M. keyboard,it jumps about Mu7 style

You're right - times are changing in LOS, but it's not just the parts supply problem doing it - there's a few different factors at play..

The parts shortage has definitely hurt market share for the tier-1's, but now it's also trickling through to the tier-2's as well (noticably, Mazda and Mistu now) so long waits are soon just going to be the norm. Nissan didn't need a Tsunami to upset it's production schedules/capacity - customers have been waiting record times for the March ever since is was first released.

Also, the barrage of quality issues Toyota has experienced over the past 18 months or so really hasn't had an effect in Thailand at all, and most of the "dent" it put into T's market share in other markets has rebounded now as well.

What's really changing is Thai people.

Brands like Mazda, Nissan and Mitsubishi have seen market share increases of between 100% and 300% year-on-year for the past 3 years now. Ford's gains are over a much shorter timespan, but they too are joining the market-share stealing party.

Look at the colors people are buying now. Go back in time just 5 years and there was only 4 colors for a new car - Silver, Champagne, White or Black. Now look around you what do you see? Bright green Mazda2's, Orange Marchs', Blue and Red Fiesta's... Thai's are getting more daring in both the brands they buy, and the colors they choose. They're daring to be different. Daring not to buy what their father drives, or what their family, friends ot neigbors recommend. And it's not even genrational - 40-something, 3-time silver Toyota buyers are now switching camps and buying a color too.

Look at the cars people are buying now. just 5 years ago, pickups outsold passenger cars 65:35, now passenger cars outsell pickups.

Look at the style that's in the market now. OK, Toyota are still using their proven formula of "boring, but not offensive" styling, and Honda are still persisting with their "Battlestar Galactica" inspired spaceship design language, but the tier-2's are going hard to re-invent themselves as being the stylish alternative, and Thai's are buying it like hotcakes.

The next few years are going to be exciting times - in pickups there will be Ford and Chev with, for the first time ever, compelling alternatives to the market leaders. In passenger cars there's the flood of new Fords' next year, new segment creators like the Mazda CX-5, Nissan's new sedan eco-car and fixed Tiida on the way, Mitsubishi's class-leading eco-car coming, Chev's updated Cruze (which BTW, is now the #1 selling car in the USA - an incredible shift) and all-new Aveo on the horizon..

The rise of tier-2 in Thailand doesn't look like it'll slow down anytime soon..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

You're right - times are changing in LOS, but it's not just the parts supply problem doing it - there's a few different factors at play..

The parts shortage has definitely hurt market share for the tier-1's, but now it's also trickling through to the tier-2's as well (noticably, Mazda and Mistu now) so long waits are soon just going to be the norm. Nissan didn't need a Tsunami to upset it's production schedules/capacity - customers have been waiting record times for the March ever since is was first released.

Also, the barrage of quality issues Toyota has experienced over the past 18 months or so really hasn't had an effect in Thailand at all, and most of the "dent" it put into T's market share in other markets has rebounded now as well.

What's really changing is Thai people.

Brands like Mazda, Nissan and Mitsubishi have seen market share increases of between 100% and 300% year-on-year for the past 3 years now. Ford's gains are over a much shorter timespan, but they too are joining the market-share stealing party.

Look at the colors people are buying now. Go back in time just 5 years and there was only 4 colors for a new car - Silver, Champagne, White or Black. Now look around you what do you see? Bright green Mazda2's, Orange Marchs', Blue and Red Fiesta's... Thai's are getting more daring in both the brands they buy, and the colors they choose. They're daring to be different. Daring not to buy what their father drives, or what their family, friends ot neigbors recommend. And it's not even genrational - 40-something, 3-time silver Toyota buyers are now switching camps and buying a color too.

Look at the cars people are buying now. just 5 years ago, pickups outsold passenger cars 65:35, now passenger cars outsell pickups.

Look at the style that's in the market now. OK, Toyota are still using their proven formula of "boring, but not offensive" styling, and Honda are still persisting with their "Battlestar Galactica" inspired spaceship design language, but the tier-2's are going hard to re-invent themselves as being the stylish alternative, and Thai's are buying it like hotcakes.

The next few years are going to be exciting times - in pickups there will be Ford and Chev with, for the first time ever, compelling alternatives to the market leaders. In passenger cars there's the flood of new Fords' next year, new segment creators like the Mazda CX-5, Nissan's new sedan eco-car and fixed Tiida on the way, Mitsubishi's class-leading eco-car coming, Chev's updated Cruze (which BTW, is now the #1 selling car in the USA - an incredible shift) and all-new Aveo on the horizon..

The rise of tier-2 in Thailand doesn't look like it'll slow down anytime soon..

Yes,and about time 2.But with one exception.FORDS Dog Turd Brown, tastefully furnished inside with Undertaker Black

Well the color thing is a bit surprising in the length of time it has taken, as if you look at most buses and other things like houses the first thing they do is dress them up with bright colors, neon and loud paint so kind of strange it took so long for cars but not really surprising they've finally come around to that point..

JFPOI I didn't distinguish between 1st tier and 2nd tier when I talked about the "Jap brands" I spoke in entirety :) ..

JFPOI I didn't distinguish between 1st tier and 2nd tier when I talked about the "Jap brands" I spoke in entirety :) ..

Yep, but the tier-2 Japanaese brands continue to steal market share from the tier-1's, so while tier-2 Japanese may be feeling the effects as well, the result for them is perhaps less accelerated market share growth - as opposed to the continuing downward trending of the tier-1's (Toyota and Honda).

But you're right - it's the Americans they're all looking over their shoulder at. Especially Ford - they may be late to the party, but they are catching up fast. Their big moment will be in 2012 with the new Ranger, new Everest, new Focus, new Escape and the outside chance of even a new Mondeo model and a TDCi Fiesta as well.. All of them very stylish, well featured, well priced and well built.

Chev have the same basic line-up, but aren't generating quite the same excitement levels.. We know that there's a new Aveo just around the corner, the updated Cruze and Captiva (with a very sweet 2.2L TD) in November, the new Pickup (hopefully) at the end of the year, and an all-new SUV in 2012. Their weak point remains the new Aveo (IMHO they should be releasing the new model Corsa in it's place), but they've got some very strong products on all other fronts..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The New Fiesta smells funny,the Mazda smells better , i loved the Face n Balls remark.:D

obviously , they smell different .

they are made in different countries .

:jap:

Do some replies get removed with no comment from the Prefects.?. Sometimes i follow a thread,and at night theres 6 Replys next day theres only 2.:annoyed:

Do you mean the Ford Prefect?

I have not seen a thread on that particular model recently, but my Dad had one when I was a kid.

The Fiesta of its time :D

Do some replies get removed with no comment from the Prefects.?. Sometimes i follow a thread,and at night theres 6 Replys next day theres only 2.:annoyed:

Do you mean the Ford Prefect?

I have not seen a thread on that particular model recently, but my Dad had one when I was a kid.

The Fiesta of its time :D

No not Henry Ford,the Moderators of whom im not a fan,im against censorship.:bah:

• 2 months later...

How about after sales service? How does mazda compare to the ford?

Neither of these brands have a particuarly large dealer network, but there's usually at least one dealership in every major district, even upcountry. Ford offer a 24-hour (or it's free) parts delivery guarantee for most common part groups, which no other brand yet does. Service departments are not as nice as a typical Toyota, Honda or even Mistubishi dealership, but training and equipment levels on on par. Ford also offer their 5-5-5 program which is only rivalled by Mistubishi, and upmarket brands like BMW and Porsche in TH.

I'm looking at getting my missus a Fiesta now that she has to do the school run and the 5-5-5 program looks a good deal but looking at their website it doesn't appear to apply to the Fiesta which is a shame if it doesn't. Only seems to apply to Everest, Escape and Focus