Tornado In Hang Dong Rd?

DavidOxon

We are near Hillside 4 condo. That storm downed a large tree at the apartment opposite. It is now lying across the Soi. According to my wife it was a mini twister that did it.

Mini Twister? What is that ! :D

Just a typical squall, to my eyes :)

I was using the fitness center at Centara Hotel this afternoon, which is on the fourth floor and has a good view to the west. It's not unusual to watch the storm clouds coming across Doi Suthep around 3 pm this time of year, but I thought the group of clouds to the south of the mountain looked rather heavy, with a dark column that stretched from the sky to the ground, moving towards the east. That was probably what hit Hang Dong later. To my midwestern U.S.-eye it looked like it had the potential to contain a tornado. Definitely would have been getting the animals and vehicles inside, closing up all the many doors to the barns and outbuildings and getting into the storm cellar if we were still back on the farm.

Mini Twister? What is that ! biggrin.gif

Just a typical squall, to my eyes smile.gif

OK. It was a squall, but one where the wind moved rapidly in a cyclonic motion in a small area within the car park and knocked over a large tree. I would have thought a squall was where the wind blew hard in basically one direction, not in a tight circle.

Wikipedia calls this type of wind a 'minor whirlwind'.

Edited by whimsy

Jesus, not seen anything like that in 3 years!

I've seen it 3 weeks ago in the Sanpatong area. Mature trees blown over, roofs missing tiles, other structures bent or just gone.

It's very localized, you never know which area gets the main wack. But it happens a lot.

Jesus, not seen anything like that in 3 years!

I've seen it 3 weeks ago in the Sanpatong area. Mature trees blown over, roofs missing tiles, other structures bent or just gone.

It's very localized, you never know which area gets the main wack. But it happens a lot.

25 minutes of a strong storm. Blew down some branches ...rain blowing in from all angles and destroyed my tomato plants (for now) Filled the storm drains and local streets flooded for about 20 minutes. Power out for 45 minutes and then suddenly clear skies in San Sai and then back to normal. Amazing and uplifting!

Just a strong squall out our way. We drove to CM through it from Hang Dong .no roofs lost,no signs of major damage, few branches down and only a large billboard down next to Airport Plaza.I hope it didn't fall on anyone. Constructed of bamboo poles, lashed together. Just how are they allowed to erect these eyesores knowing the first strong wind will bring it down ?

I've noticed this Chiang Mai region is sometimes prone to "microbursts:.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst

Strong localized winds that do fairly serious damage to roofs and downs many trees. I have sometimes seen it accompanied by hail here. I was in one in Mae Rim a couple of years ago. 5 minutes of near 100 kt winds and then nothing. Lots of superficial damage and some orchards had all their trees totally felled like bowling pins..

I've noticed this Chiang Mai region is sometimes prone to "microbursts:.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst

Strong localized winds that do fairly serious damage to roofs and downs many trees. I have sometimes seen it accompanied by hail here. I was in one in Mae Rim a couple of years ago. 5 minutes of near 100 kt winds and then nothing. Lots of superficial damage and some orchards had all their trees totally felled like bowling pins..

Very interesting read. Thanks for the link. So it's the opposite of a tornado. I had no idea this phenomena existed.

I was in the swimming pool and all the chaise lounges and umbrellas took off flying and one umbrella flew directly at me. Fortunately I ducked in time. I got out of there (on the motorcycle!) and went home to find our palm tree down and the garden in total shambles. There were trees down all over Sansai.

Another thing that happens during these is that traffic lights are completely blown or bent into different directions.

I just notices the one at Hai Ya intersection was blown completely 90 degrees, so when coming from the direction of Ian Forbes' place you see both a red and a green light at the same time. ;)

Another thing that happens during these is that traffic lights are completely blown or bent into different directions.

I just notices the one at Hai Ya intersection was blown completely 90 degrees, so when coming from the direction of Ian Forbes' place you see both a red and a green light at the same time. ;)

So what did you do? :rolleyes:

Picture of weather over Chiang Mai yesterday....

post-34071-0-47984800-1304650701_thumb.j

Look like it was almost forming a funnel!!! or it could be my imagination.

Really hope that it doesn't happen here. No emergency plan for tornadoes. But OMG that was a short and heavy storm. Was at airport plaza, lost electricity, had to wait by the entrance to get fresh air. Can't believe how much we rely on the ventilation there.

We stood in the 45 degree rain, relishing its magnificent power, surrendering our blown-inside-out-umbrella. Our spiritual master, Ur Orang, sent us a message through the thunder and wind, which our human meat-package's poetic component rendered, best he could, in pseudo-sonnet-form thus:

~

forty-five degree rain tastes

as if time were not in motion too fast for me to ever catch up,

the forty-five degree rain tastes like a wreathe over my grave

left too long, all wires, dried-out stems, on top of uncut grass

a lady-in-black-veil's not weeping for me: i get rain, not tears:

she keeps on asking strangers: why are these nights so long,

here, so near the equator: asks if this might be only accident,

a fatal error she's sent to a wrong world, for her to be dead in

i grow a giant mushroom on my snow-bound grave in answer:

explode its ripe underbelly, send angel-spores up over to her,

to take root in her lonely vacuum: grow on her rot into a truth:

we chose comfort of our rut, to be at home with familiar fears

but, either she's deaf, or she pretends not to know my angels:

she refuses to hear how each grave here's soaked, overflows

with memories of lost loves, how craven sobbing's ceaseless

~

peace, and stronger umbrella, be with Thee, ~o:37;

We stood in the 45 degree rain, relishing its magnificent power, surrendering our blown-inside-out-umbrella. Our spiritual master, Ur Orang, sent us a message through the thunder and wind, which our human meat-package's poetic component rendered, best he could, in pseudo-sonnet-form thus:

~

forty-five degree rain tastes

as if time were not in motion too fast for me to ever catch up,

the forty-five degree rain tastes like a wreathe over my grave

left too long, all wires, dried-out stems, on top of uncut grass

a lady-in-black-veil's not weeping for me: i get rain, not tears:

she keeps on asking strangers: why are these nights so long,

here, so near the equator: asks if this might be only accident,

a fatal error she's sent to a wrong world, for her to be dead in

i grow a giant mushroom on my snow-bound grave in answer:

explode its ripe underbelly, send angel-spores up over to her,

to take root in her lonely vacuum: grow on her rot into a truth:

we chose comfort of our rut, to be at home with familiar fears

but, either she's deaf, or she pretends not to know my angels:

she refuses to hear how each grave here's soaked, overflows

with memories of lost loves, how craven sobbing's ceaseless

~

peace, and stronger umbrella, be with Thee, ~o:37;

Stay in the bar and carry on drinking. The storm will pass over

you can't beat a decent Iambic pentameter on a Friday lunchtime...

I don't usually flash my Cantab degree on TV... but in Cambridge we can tell a pentameter when we see one. It's iambic too, not lambic.

Actually he did post iambic but with a capital I making it look like this - Iambic. Code tags to see it without format.

you can't beat a decent Iambic pentameter on a Friday lunchtime...

:)