3G On The Top Of Everest......

Richb2004v2

I watched a BBC report today about a chap who'd climbed Everest for the 9th time. When asked why he said it was to show that it was possible to get 3G coverage on the top.

How is it I can't get it in Pattaya then?? :unsure::blink:

http://mashable.com/2010/10/29/3g-mount-everest/

I think True offer 3G in Pattaya, but perhaps not in your locale?

I think your point has been made millions of times, and it is no doubt a huge blemish/embarrassment for Thailand. Hopefully it will be addressed, at least that's the best we can do, remain hopeful. Long term service providers do not seem capable of sustaining a profit on mobile voice and broadband data services - they should probably be charging more - so there is little incentive in owning the property. The only perceived way to make money is to skim the 15% off the top of the initial licensing process and subsequent equipment procurement contracts, so the battle is to be in a position to skim when it happens rather than getting on with the project, which would improve the infrastructure, and ultimately benefit everyone.

In remote parts of Mongolia the nomadic herdsmen will sometimes push send on an SMS, hurl their mobiles high into the air, then catch them and check whether the signal was strong enough to allow the message to go through. Just saying :)

I think Thailand is overly criticized over the lack of 3G coverage.

I just got back from the UK and the cellphone coverage there is shockingly bad. In Thailand you get a good phone signal pretty much everywhere (even on remote islands).

Yet in the UK the signal was constantly low and often no signal; Ok i was able to get 3G when i had a signal, about 50% of the time i was out of any of kind of coverage. People in the UK seem to have just accepted this silliness?

While on the train most conversations i overheard consisted of "hello,hello?" and "are you still there".

I think Thailand is overly criticized over the lack of 3G coverage.

I just got back from the UK and the cellphone coverage there is shockingly bad. In Thailand you get a good phone signal pretty much everywhere (even on remote islands).

Yet in the UK the signal was constantly low and often no signal; Ok i was able to get 3G when i had a signal, about 50% of the time i was out of any of kind of coverage. People in the UK seem to have just accepted this silliness?

While on the train most conversations i overheard consisted of "hello,hello?" and "are you still there".

haha....nonsense. Which network were you using?

I only put that post up for fun. I know little at all about mobile phones or 3G. When I went to look into it I was told by many shops that 3G was not in my area. I never actually checked myself though. Also I have no idea how the Uk or anywhere else compares to Thai coverage. I just thought it was funny that he had it on the top of everest but flt sure there are many spots that don't.

I only put that post up for fun. I know little at all about mobile phones or 3G. When I went to look into it I was told by many shops that 3G was not in my area. I never actually checked myself though. Also I have no idea how the Uk or anywhere else compares to Thai coverage. I just thought it was funny that he had it on the top of everest but flt sure there are many spots that don't.

You chose to ignore the advice given here and to believe what you were told by the locals....

You chose to ignore the advice given here and to believe what you were told by the locals....

Jiu Jitsu..... you're joking, right?

MSPain

Jeses! You DO need to practice your reading skills as I already said elsewhere! The OP said this post was for fun. It was mostly about the guy climbing Everest than about the 3G coverage in Pattaya. Pay attention to what you read.

Cheers.

Jeses! You DO need to practice your reading skills as I already said elsewhere! The OP said this post was for fun. It was mostly about the guy climbing Everest than about the 3G coverage in Pattaya. Pay attention to what you read.

Cheers.

Ignorance is bliss...but it's still ignorance. Look here

Jiu Jitsu..... you're joking, right?

MSPain

Joking about...?

My comment was with reference to this statement;

When I went to look into it I was told by many shops that 3G was not in my area...

Your comments would be appropriate in the thread you provided a link to, but this particular thread is about a guy climbing the everest to get a 3g. The way I see it.

Why do you like arguing so much?

Your comments would be appropriate in the thread you provided a link to, but this particular thread is about a guy climbing the everest to get a 3g. The way I see it.

Why do you like arguing so much?

Look in the mirror.... You came to this thread...and added nothing of relevance. Why? To argue?

From Jui-Jitsu on previous thread:

Whether you can receive 3G depends on your location within Pattaya

Many other post also said that Pattaya is not completely covered, as did the True shop and all other sellers of devices to get the net. They informed me that my area was not covered. What was I to do, ignore them and buy a 3G device to check for myself?

What exactly is your problem? Are you the man who provides 3G to Pattaya or something?

From Jui-Jitsu on previous thread:

Whether you can receive 3G depends on your location within Pattaya

Many other post also said that Pattaya is not completely covered, as did the True shop and all other sellers of devices to get the net. They informed me that my area was not covered. What was I to do, ignore them and buy a 3G device to check for myself?

What exactly is your problem? Are you the man who provides 3G to Pattaya or something?

Goodness me you are a bit slow. A cursory look through the 3G in Pattaya posts would have revealed that I knew something about the subject and that the locals were either ignorant about 3G in Pattaya or apt to mislead.

So I advised you not to buy anything without checking here first.

You chose to ignore that advice. Up to you.

You chose to waste your money on an EDGE modem on the advice of one of the aforementioned locals.

Goodness knows why you bothered to ask.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Look in the mirror.... You came to this thread...and added nothing of relevance. Why? To argue?

Neither did you. I saw a silly reply of yours that I chose to comment on.

The OP made a post about not being able to receive 3G in Pattaya. In fact he doesn't know as to whether he can get 3G because he purchased an EDGE modem against good advice. He decided to believe someone who wanted to sell him something.

So my comment was relevant and aimed at the OP. No need for me to link to another thread, as the OP would understand.

Yours was made in ignorance of the relevant facts...and argumentative. Go on..you can have the last word...however facile.

"3"

However i also discussed the topic with one of my friends while there and he said he had similar trouble with Vodafone (we were on the train together, whenever i had no signal he also had no signal).

Edited by dave111223

"3"

However i also discussed the topic with one of my friends while there and he said he had similar trouble with Vodafone (we were on the train together, whenever i had no signal he also had no signal).

Going through a tunnel? Seriously, you appear apt to make rather sweeping statements.

So your claim is based on sitting on a train in an undisclosed location??

I live in the UK and other than dropouts travelling on trains, simply have not experienced what you have described.

Going through a tunnel? Seriously, you appear apt to make rather sweeping statements.

So your claim is based on sitting on a train in an undisclosed location??

I live in the UK and other than dropouts travelling on trains, simply have not experienced what you have described.

I spent most of my stay in Fleet, Hampshire; and at house i was staying i received no signal at all (the house is not in a tunnel in case you were wondering).

I traveled quite a lot, including up to Manchester and down to Cornwall; and outside of major urban centers the signal ranged from no signal to 1 or 2 bars...

Obviously in central London you get a full signal, but in most cases if you couldn't see a building, you couldn't make a phone call...pretty sad in my book. Specially considering that you could go somewhere like Koh Ngai in the middle of no where and still get a full signal.

"3"

I live in the UK.

Ah, so that's why you are so twisted up and argumentative. You live in the Uk, but wish to be here (with your 3G dongle of course).

Perhaps because you were using 3. There are only good for 3G.

I'm not going to argue with your experiences. I simply have not experienced them....which is perhaps why the 'UK people' don't complain. People purchase the network apt for their location.

"3"

I live in the UK.

Ah, so that's why you are so twisted up and argumentative. You live in the Uk, but wish to be here (with your 3G dongle of course).

Sorry old man. Retired in my twenties. Six month in the UK and six months abroad. Live in England Spring and Summer and abroad in the winter.

I help people like you on here because I have the time.

You can take the horse to water and all that...

If you are too obtuse to understand, I just can't help you.

Happy surfing with your EDGE modem.

Sorry old man. Retired in my twenties. Six month in the UK and six months abroad. Live in England Spring and Summer and abroad in the winter.

I guess it was help of a sort, with a dose of upset at not having your recommendations to obtain a Uk modem followed.

The modem is doing the job thanks. At least as good as a 3G version without 3G coverage anyway. Am I right?

I guess it was help of a sort, with a dose of upset at not having your recommendations to obtain a Uk modem followed.

The modem is doing the job thanks. At least as good as a 3G version without 3G coverage anyway. Am I right?

Come one, don't be silly. :) I don't care as to whether you buy from the UK. That is a general recommendation to anyone on a budget.

I just knew that the locals were going to spin you a yarn. So advised that you came back here with what you were told before you paid out.

Point is, for a few hundred baht more you would have a modem that would either give you access to 3G now or in the very near future when TRUE adapt the Hutch masts to UMTS/HSPDA.

So it serves you right for thinking that there were ulterior motives for trying to help you. More fool you.