Cigarette & Tobacco Prices In Thailand

simon43

I'm not a smoker, but I'm interested to know the typical retail cost of a packet of cigarettes in Thailand. What brands are generally available? Is there a large difference in pricing between local and imported brands? Is 7% VAT applied to to purchase price in a retail store?

I'm just 'musing' on an idea to sell cartons of cigarettes at my airport hotel, (we already have a cigarette resale licence). If VAT applies to the purchase of cigarettes that are bought in a domestic store, then it should be possible for the tourist to reclaim that VAT when they leave the country, provided that they complete the correct forms and purchase at least 2,000 baht of cigarettes.

Of course, if the price to buy cigarettes in the airport duty free is significantly less than what I can buy them in the wholesale store, then this idea will go nowhere....

Simon

I'd guess typically 75-80 THB for a packet of 20.

As far as I've seen there are very few imported brands in Thailand, very few.

Marlboro and LM may be found all over, along with some local brands.

That's why most local Thai smokers don't purchase those "supposedly" foreign brands. B75-90 can be quite dear. B60 can be the average for the Thai national brands {tailor-made}. I recall some twenty-to-twenty-five-years ago, the Thai Tobacco Monopoly had the domestic market cornered with an array of cigarette brand names. Today, they're down to two national brand names, outside of the odd assortment of Thai generic variety. The more well-known American, British, and Hong-Kong brands are of name only - we don't know where they originate from. Most of the smarter smokers will turn to the loose roll-your-own variety.........it's much much cheaper and better for ya.;):whistling:

At 7/11, 58B for 20 L&M and 70B for 20 Marlboro. Wonder and something even cheaper are 10-20B cheaper and only for those who enjoy a good cough.

2000Baht's worth would take the average person returning to the EU over the legal threshold for bringing back cigarettes.

You are in business and you need to ask this question?

Why not? I do not work in the cigarette business, nor do I sell cigarettes at my hotel. But I have a licence to sell them if I wish to do so.

I'll take a trip down to the wholesaler and check on carton prices for imported cigarettes.

Can anyone tell me the typical price in airport Duty Free for a carton of imported cigarettes?

Simon

Would be great if the Marlboro are from USA and varieties like ice blast, methanol ultra light etc are available.

These taste much better than those sold in Thailand..

Edited by xxes123

You are in business and you need to ask this question?

Why not? I do not work in the cigarette business, nor do I sell cigarettes at my hotel. But I have a licence to sell them if I wish to do so.

I'll take a trip down to the wholesaler and check on carton prices for imported cigarettes.

Can anyone tell me the typical price in airport Duty Free for a carton of imported cigarettes?

Simon

Simon

I can't advise on Phuket but at Suvarnbhumi there are no Marlboro Liights/Gold available from duty free. Hence many of us will buy from 7/11 or Foodland for around 700 Baht.

Only a fool would buy more than the allowed amount in duty free as your chances of being caught theother end would be fairly strong I think.

Would be great if the Marlboro are from USA and varieties like ice blast, methanol ultra light etc are available.

I'd question any major foreign national brands as to their real origins. In the case of American brands, one can easily tell if they are true by the official trade stamp by the American government on each packet.

Doesn't methanol cause blindness (at least when ingested)?

.... Most of the smarter smokers will turn to the loose roll-your-own variety.........it's much much cheaper and better for ya.;):whistling:

Most of the smarter smokers stop...it's much much cheaper and better for ya. wink.gifwhistling.gif

Doesn't methanol cause blindness (at least when ingested)?

It worked great in my speedway car.:D

PS the cigarettes are dearer at the airport duty free, cheaper at 7/11.

Edited by OZEMADE

.... Most of the smarter smokers will turn to the loose roll-your-own variety.........it's much much cheaper and better for ya.;):whistling:

Most of the smarter smokers stop...it's much much cheaper and better for ya. wink.gifwhistling.gif

There's nothing worse than a "reformed" anything.....B)

Wonder dang sold all over Thailand and at 45baht a packet they are as cheap as they come...rolleyes.gif

That should be 42 Baht. :sorry:

Yes you are oh so right...but some times im to lazzzzzzy to go to the 7-11..and then i by at the local store which is run by Chinese then pay 45baht jap.gif

If some one is doing a visa run to LOAS..then they can get you a carton of TEXAS which are not to bad..or ERA which taste like shit..for around 90baht -100baht a carton rolleyes.gif

That works out at 9 baht a packet thumbsup.gif

Wonder dang sold all over Thailand and at 45baht a packet they are as cheap as they come...rolleyes.gif

That should be 42 Baht. :sorry:

Yes you are oh so right...but some times im to lazzzzzzy to go to the 7-11..and then i by at the local store which is run by Chinese then pay 45baht jap.gif

There is a brand called "Lighter", about the same taste as Wonder. It's about 35 Baht. :D