Bedbug Toxin 'Likely' Cause Of Sarah Carter's Death

george

Just read this story on an Australian website today, 11 May 2011

http://news.ninemsn....aspx?id=8247863

Thai officials reject woman's death theory

14:44 AEST Wed May 11 2011

Thai medical authorities say the theory that New Zealand tourist Sarah Carter died from exposure to insect control chemical chlorpyrifos "carries little weight".

Carter, 23, fell violently ill on February 3 while staying at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai and died a day later.

Her two New Zealand friends and travelling companions, Emma Langlands and Amanda Eliason, also fell ill but later recovered.

An investigation by TV3's 60 Minutes aired on Monday found trace elements of the chemical chlorpyrifos, used to kill bed bugs, in the hotel room Carter was staying in, prompting calls for Thai authorities to investigate.

Chiang Mai Public Health Office deputy chief Surasing Visaruthrat said the chlorpyrifos theory "carries little weight", the Bangkok Post reported.

"We can't jump to a conclusion that toxin exposure was the cause of the death because the substance was allegedly found in the hotel room alone, not in the victim's body," Dr Surasing said.

An elderly British couple, a Thai tourist guide and a Canadian man died after staying at the Downtown Inn or using its facilities, while two other women died in similar circumstances within one month.

Dr Surasing said experts would meet again after receiving test results of samples collected from the victims' bodies, which were sent for testing at laboratories in the United States and Japan.

Edited by saroq

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Father refuses to accept Thai experts' findings

The father of New Zealander Sarah Carter who died mysteriously in Thailand refuses to accept the Thai authorities' assertion that she probably did not die as a result of exposure to insect control chemical chlorpyrifos.

"They've basically just shown that they'd prefer to cover it up rather than to put it out it in the open," Richard Carter told NZPA.

Ms Carter, 23, fell violently ill on February 3 while staying at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai and died a day later.

Her two New Zealand friends and travelling companions, Emma Langlands and Amanda Eliason, also fell ill but later recovered.

An investigation by TV3's 60 Minutes which aired on Monday found trace elements of the chemical chlorpyrifos, used to kill bed bugs, in the hotel room Ms Carter was staying in, prompting calls for Thai authorities to investigate.

Chiang Mai Public Health Office deputy chief Surasing Visaruthrat, who yesterday chaired a meeting attended by doctors and experts from various agencies, said the chlorpyrifos theory "carries little weight", the Bangkok Post reported.

"We can't jump to a conclusion that toxin exposure was the cause of the death because the substance was allegedly found in the hotel room alone, not in the victim's body."

An elderly British couple, a Thai tourist guide and a Canadian man also died after staying at the Downtown Inn or using its facilities, while two other women died in similar circumstances within one month.

Dr Surasing said experts would meet again after receiving test results of samples collected from the victims' bodies, which were sent for testing at laboratories in the United States and Japan.

Mr Carter said the findings did not surprise him at all.

"They did absolutely nothing for over three months and most of the things that they have done have lacked any thoroughness or integrity.

"I wouldn't place a lot of faith in the Thai health authorities."

Mr Carter said he would not be satisfied until the World Health Organisation had conducted a full, independent investigation into the deaths.

Meanwhile, the Green Party said chlorpyrifos was scheduled for "priority reassessment" in New Zealand in the Environmental and Risk Management Authority's (ERMA) briefing to the incoming minister in 2008, yet it is still in widespread use.

"ERMA has had chlorpyrifos on the reassessment list for years, but so far nothing appears to have happened," spokeswoman Catherine Delahunty said.

Full story: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10724922

-- nzherald.co.nz 2011-05-11

footer_n.gif

"They did absolutely nothing for over three months and most of the things that they have done have lacked any thoroughness or integrity. I wouldn't place a lot of faith in the Thai health authorities."

I would have to agree with Mr. Carter's statement! Could you imagine a hotel where seven people died and more sickened from an unknown cause to remain open without finding the cause in the UK, US, NZ, or Australia? Crazy!

Edited by Jimi007

Chiang Mai governor to hold press conference tomorrow on mysterious deaths of Thai guide and New Zealander in the same hotel /TAN_Network

the governor will again give the sh***t to luck.

seen that in 60 mins

Edited by dunkin2012

This is scary stuff. I am just staying in a lets say modestly priced guesthouse and I feel sick and have a headache.

Now I google and chlorpyrifos seems to be odorless.

Can't it be enough having to be scared about electric shocks from water heaters that are not installed correctly ...

This is scary stuff. I am just staying in a lets say modestly priced guesthouse and I feel sick and have a headache.

Now I google and chlorpyrifos seems to be odorless.

Can't it be enough having to be scared about electric shocks from water heaters that are not installed correctly ...

at your own risk while in LOS.:guitar:

if you smell something's bad, just run.

TiT

The Norwegian press showing interest in the old case again when the Norwegian girl Michelle Bergheim died .

Her mother are now sure that the insect chemicals killed her daughter

Link:

VG News

Every hotel is required by law to have 2 bottles of water for the tourist.

No one has made any mention if they have tested the bottled water.

Those opaque white bottles often break down do to cheap formulation of the plastic polymers. You can taste the chemicals and chlorine. I wonder if this would have an affect on the pesticide vapors. Chlorine can be very deadly, and is added to water supplies worldwide to keep water from becoming stale when bottled, in thailand the taste of chlorine in some brands of bottled water is very prominent.

Some bottles are even reused and resealed by unscrupulous business owners.

Those opaque white bottles often break down do to cheap formulation of the plastic polymers. You can taste the chemicals and chlorine. I wonder if this would have an affect on the pesticide vapors. Chlorine can be very deadly, and is added to water supplies worldwide to keep water from becoming stale when bottled, in thailand the taste of chlorine in some brands of bottled water is very prominent.

I was at the Hotel of the first death.

The Hotel supplies 2 bottles of water.

They are glass bottles with flip tops.

Not the screw bottles.

I hope this answers your question :jap:

Not the screw bottles.

flip tops or peel away metal tops?

I have never seen a flip top other than the ones on white opaque plastic bottles.

If it was a thin metal peel away lid then I see.

Not the screw bottles.

flip tops or peel away metal tops?

I have never seen a flip top other than the ones on white opaque plastic bottles.

If it was a thin metal peel away lid then I see.

peel away metal tops :)

They (The hotel) originally laid the blame at the door of food from street vendors according to Chiang Mai news. Had that been the case these untimely deaths wold not have been restricted to one hotel!

it would if that food vendor was in front of that hotel specifically.

Just A Typical Thai Day and response and tragedy in Thailand

This countries biggest embarrassment and weakness is lack of education

Ofcourse, Ingnorance, Arrogance, Egotistical Face, Laziness, Narrow mindedness, and the mai pen rai (i don't care with a smile)

All of the symptoms also due to a lack of education...

But for any teacher who knows what the schools are like here... you cannot teach a fish how to fly....

Why are you at a forum about Thailand.

With all respect. There's some fish and they can fly, don't ask how high. May we know if you're one of these teachers?

Edited by sbk
formatting marks removed

• 3 months later...

This article on Yahoo news today might well shed some light on / provide answers to this matter:

http://news.yahoo.co...-180606407.html

THURSDAY, Sept. 22 (HealthDay News) -- Bed bug infestations are bad enough, but a new report finds that more than 100 Americans have become sickened from exposure to the insecticides used to eliminate the pests.

The cases happened across seven states, researchers said, and bed bug insecticide exposure may have even contributed to one death.

"The majority of cases involved misuse," said report co-author Dr. Geoffrey Calvert, a medical officer at the U.S. National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.

Seems a little odd to me that of the 300 or so hotels, 250 B&Bs and 100 other types of lodgings available for rent in Chiang Mai, only the Downtown Inn has had the problem of guests dying as a result of some mysterious illness.

Does the pest eradication company only have the one client?

Wouldn't surprise me if an over zealous hotel employee used the chemical straight from the bottle.

Why water it down, the stronger the better.

:thumbsup: