Protein Powders And Steroids

happyrobert

Posted in the Health section but wanted wider audience as I'm in BKK only 1 more day.

Where to buy protein powder--without aspartame-- at something approaching a resonable cost?

Never seen an answer to this one.....

Well it's only that after a training session or between meals it is very easy to mix a shake and drink it quickly. To knock together an actual meal is as you say more enjoyable, but more time consuming.

Plus for the likes of me that can barely put a meal together the powders are a good choice. :lol:

Well it's only that after a training session or between meals it is very easy to mix a shake and drink it quickly. To knock together an actual meal is as you say more enjoyable, but more time consuming.

Plus for the likes of me that can barely put a meal together the powders are a good choice. :lol:

Kao-jai :wai:

jb1

Excuse me asking. But why do you not seek protein naturally. In what you eat. It is much more fun?

jb1

I've exercised since I was a small boy. But the last 2 years here in Thailand I've backed off about 50%. Don't like the where I've ended up so I'm getting back into intense workouts, including stripping and 15 second breaks. Had a shop make me some kettle balls, too!

Want liquid as it is more rapidly absorbed immediately post workout, which is important.

Don't want food as I don't feel like solids after that kind of workout. Don't want yogurt as not enough protein per ounce and too sweet. Only want whey or even egg protein. Not soy.

I eat lotsa protein from other sources.

Okey doke?

And whey protein, if high quality, is natural.

Edited by happyrobert

Yeah but not as convenient.

As far as I've seen all supplements are quite expensive here.

The intake of nutritional supplements might be more reflective of an already imbalanced and poor diet. Along with the ever-present fashion of promoting a false sense of higher health......which will not always be the case.

The intake of nutritional supplements might be more reflective of an already imbalanced and poor diet. Along with the ever-present fashion of promoting a false sense of higher health......which will not always be the case.

Um, okay, by unbalanced you mean no smoking and almost no drinking, multiple servings of pineapple, banana and mango and papaya daily, fresh homegrown veggies from heirloom seeds that I brought here from the States?

That kinda imbalanced?

Fresh fish almost everyday, eggs and lean chicken?

That kinda imbalanced?

Coupled with 3-5 miles of running (not jogging), a coupla miles of swimming and free weights 5-6 days a week.

That kinda imbalanced?

What am I lacking in my diet?

Oh, maybe your right. When the girlfriend's not here, I eat TV dinners!

Ha! Get it Zzaa? TV dinners? In front of the computer....?

Athletes expend more energy and work harder than average Joe. They need more protein and resources. It's simple, and not an unbalanced diet. I doubt there are many Olympic athletes that get by on eating good meals only.

too hard to type thai and muscle in google?

No, it is not hard at all.

I am asking for personal recommendations based on experience. Not ads. Least of all in the Land of Scams.

But thank you for spelling, too, correctly.

Athletes expend more energy and work harder than average Joe. They need more protein and resources. It's simple, and not an unbalanced diet. I doubt there are many Olympic athletes that get by on eating good meals only.

Yep, can't eat enough food for the required calories used and then working out on a full stomach etc... Nope, need hi protein higher calorie shakes..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep, can't eat enough food for the required calories used and then working out on a full stomach etc... Nope, need hi protein higher calorie shakes..

You eat AFTER a workout to supply protein to the split muscle vessels to build muscle. :)

So what about athletes of yesteryear? Did they imbibe......? Perhaps, comparatively, they might have been more fair weathered before the questioned ideals of "sporting health and well-being" came about. The promotion of modern day fitness and health has no cycled relation to well-being - what the game is truly about concern consumerism.

^^ you take protein spread over the day.One who takes training seriously should consume 2-3 gram of protein per kg of bodyweight.So a 90 Kg person should consume +200 grams of protein a day.That is a lot of food .Raw chicken or fish contains about 15% of protein.

Edit :response corrected

Edited by janverbeem

You eat AFTER a workout to supply protein to the split muscle vessels to build muscle. :)

Yes so where do you get the energy to work out prior to your work out :rolleyes: and how do you recuperate the calories used and the protein required to build the muscle you just exercised to build?? Eating alone does not do it as no one can eat an effective amount of food to effectively feed the engine..

<deleted> Besides being athletic my entire life and still am, I ran my step fathers gym when I was in my teens after school and the Weider shakes were and still are the bomb for working out way before all of the new age crap, I do know a thing or 2 about diet and exercise..

Edited by WarpSpeed

^ you take protein spread over the day.One who takes training seriously should consume 2-3 gram of protein per kg of bodyweight.So a 90 Kg person should consume +200 grams of protein a day.That is a lot of food .Raw chicken or fish contains about 15% of protein.

I think zzaa got in between your posts or not but this is also true in response to T/A..

Which is why I posted not able to eat and then work out on a full stomach as you'd have to be eating the entire day to gain enough protein and calories so no time to digest :rolleyes: .. Solids digest and absorb much slower then liquids especially high protein foods like meats.

Edited by WarpSpeed

So what about athletes of yesteryear? Did they imbibe......? Perhaps, comparatively, they might have been more fair weathered before the questioned ideals of "sporting health and well-being" came about. The promotion of modern day fitness and health has no cycled relation to well-being - what the game is truly about concern consumerism.

I think, in large part, you are correct. The vast majority of supplements sold are not required for the average person. Much of it is snake oil. I still find it hard to believe that people take chicken cartilage orally to replace their own worn out cartilage. Shades of Idi Amin!

The average person does not need to supplement with protein. Long term, it can even be harmful. But the more energy expended, the more fuel required. Breaking down muscle fiber requires protein, among other things, to rebuild it.

Spending 12 hours a week in heavy training requires supplementation. My stomach, nor my appetite, can support protein only by solids.

I take some green food supplements, a multi-mineral--mostly for the zinc and the molybdenum, and protein powder. All else comes from food.

Protein should be spread out through the day, different kinds at different times, if you really want to get picky. But consuming it within about 30 minutes of completing a strenuous workout has been "reported" to increase uptake and therefore effectiveness.

Edited by happyrobert

PowderPuff-

Dang if I can find robblock to PM him. I'll try his phone tomorrow. Thanks.

Found a website for Musashi Protein. Anybody familiar with it?

Im not that hard to find but people should stop adding a C to my name.

I just buy my proteins from a webshop that is a sponsor here. They are relatively cheap. I had it delivered by EMS with a tracking number.

I used to buy and import myself but its too much of a hassle. But you can save some money on bulk

The athletes of before cant hold a candle to those of today. But granted steroids are also used more. I have a healthy diet but adding some protein shakes can really help. But the name supplement says it all its not a replacement it an additive.

I have used plenty of supplements over the years, but protein powder works.. as does creatine and fish oil.

This topic would have been better off in the Health Forum as I see soome replies here from folks who has not much to do with bodybuilding and have little knowledge about supplements.

The only supplements that are worth buying, as robblok said are protein, creatine and healthy oils, doesn't have to be a fish oil, there special oil blends out there for the bodybilders. Other supplements are rubbish that has next to zero effect.

A couch potato type of person doesn't need any extra proteins or other supplements as they can get enough from natural food.

A natural bodubuilder needs around 1g of pretein per pound of body weight (as was mentioned already) so a 200 lbs (90kgs) person needs around 200 g of pretein per day.

A steroid using bodybuilder needs a lot more than 1g per pound of bodyweight.

It is always better to consume more protein that you need than not enough. Extra will do no harm, unused extra will brake down and come out in a pee, but this way you will make sure you stay in a positive nitrogen ballance.

A problem for a bodybuilding eating solid food is, you will have to eat a lot to get your protein intake and with all the protein foods will come extra calories.

And to answer your other question, the only legal steroid in Thailand is Testoviron Depot (Testosterone Enanthate generic name). Legal and available over the counter in most pharmas. Oh, and I think there is oral too that is legal (Andriol), but confirm the legality of it first. Everything else is pretty much illegal.

Don't want food as I don't feel like solids after that kind of workout. Don't want yogurt as not enough protein per ounce and too sweet.

Just want to put in a plug for Yolida's plain yogurt. Low fat, no sugar or anything else added. It's made in Nakorn Ratchasimha & available here in Chiang Mai. As a vegetarian athlete, plain yogurt is one of my key protein sources, not to mention all the beneficial bacteria that fresh yogurt provides to the gut.