Friendship

beano2274

A friend phoned me the other day, he asked me to meet him as he had something to talk about.

When I got there he asked to borrow money to pay for a prostitute he had picked up downtown, he

had 2 baht to his name nothing more. I turned him down flat

What would you have done?

So your out with the lads and one of them says lend us 20 notes till I get the atm, you say no.

<deleted>.

Tend to agree, that's what friends are for, help when in need BUT not to be taken the piss of. So really depends on the exact facts of the situation. :)

Just wondering was your friend English?.... I am not wanting to sound racist and I do have some English mates in LOS but the 4 or 5 times I have been asked for money from a "friend" on each occasion they were Englishmen.....Hmmmmm I wonder :whistling:

In answer to your question, I would NOT have lent him the money but then again I would not of gone down and met him either without an explanation to what it was he had to tell/ask me....

Edited by supaprik

the thing is he has owed me money for a long time now, he owed me a lot before but got his Ex Girlfriend to pay it for him, now he owes me more money.

He does not have a job, I have helped him get many jobs, but he either is late as he has been out the night before, or has something with the female students, and gets the sack.

Last year he got a new passport as his old one had expired, and he had been on overstay for 3 years or more, he got the money from his Mum in the UK, who really could not afford it. He has been working doing work at a few language centres, but not helped him Mum, and now he is on overstay again.

Just wondering was your friend English?.... I am not wanting to sound racist and I do have some English mates in LOS but the 4 or 5 times I have been asked for money from a "friend" on each occasion they were Englishmen.....Hmmmmm I wonder :whistling:

In answer to your question, I would NOT have lent him the money but then again I would not of gone down and met him either without an explanation to what it was he had to tell/ask me....

yes you got the Nationality correct, am English too.

I only met him at a local shopping centre, near his place and easy for me to get to.

the thing is he has owed me money for a long time now, he owed me a lot before but got his Ex Girlfriend to pay it for him, now he owes me more money.

He does not have a job, I have helped him get many jobs, but he either is late as he has been out the night before, or has something with the female students, and gets the sack.

Last year he got a new passport as his old one had expired, and he had been on overstay for 3 years or more, he got the money from his Mum in the UK, who really could not afford it. He has been working doing work at a few language centres, but not helped him Mum, and now he is on overstay again.

Think you should have posted this in your OP. Now it's different, be a prat to ''lend'' this guy money. ;)

Hmmmmmm you wonder what?

Please don't publicly make such a fool of yourself by suggesting what i think you are. i also have no doubt that you would'nt lend a bean. :jap:

EDIT Just noticed your avatar....sorry mate enough said :D

Edited by carmine

I only met him at a local shopping centre, near his place and easy for me to get to.

ah, so he's not even a friend then? Just a random white bloke that you met at the mall. (oh, hi there, we are from the same countries...yes, lets be friends).

As yourself would you have associated with this bloke back home? If the answer is 'no', then why are you now?

lol the funny part is some people here actually DEFNDED him like "of course I'd lend this guy money for a prostitute" More than likely they are the kind that are always asking for money from friends for the very same reason. GOD I LOVE THIS PLACE. never bored with you crackers to amuse me.

ah, so he's not even a friend then? Just a random white bloke that you met at the mall. (oh, hi there, we are from the same countries...yes, lets be friends).

As yourself would you have associated with this bloke back home? If the answer is 'no', then why are you now?

I have known him for many years, I met him on Saturday as that is when he asked me for the money.

I want my money back that is all I want.

His Mum wants him to go back to the UK, but that failed on both previous occasions.

OK, Will try to post within forum boundaries now.

So your out with the lads and one of them says lend us 20 notes till I get the atm, you say no.

<deleted>.

He wasn't out with lads. His friend called him and waited for him to come down. He would have got his money faster from ATV, so to me it means his account was empty. Why a guy who is broke would want to spend money on a prostiture, especially not his money. i would too have told him to bugger off. The situation when you're out with lads and one of the guys start running short is totally different. Happened to me before and I had no problems lending him, even though it was to pay bar tab including bar fee.

Am not a bubbler (British slang for those who are not aware), so would not tell on him to the School (where he is gonna work, without a visa or WP), to the Police (cause of Overstay) or to his Mum (to pay his debts and get rid of him).

He abuses everyone, he has debts with the local restaurant, he cannot pay his rent on time it is not just me that wants their money back.

I have known him for many years, I met him on Saturday as that is when he asked me for the money.

I want my money back that is all I want.

His Mum wants him to go back to the UK, but that failed on both previous occasions.

This is now a totally different story to your original post. :rolleyes: Either this is a wind up or you are a bit challenged up top. :D

<deleted>.

He wasn't out with lads. His friend called him and waited for him to come down. He would have got his money faster from ATV, so to me it means his account was empty. Why a guy who is broke would want to spend money on a prostiture, especially not his money. i would too have told him to bugger off. The situation when you're out with lads and one of the guys start running short is totally different. Happened to me before and I had no problems lending him, even though it was to pay bar tab including bar fee.

he had been in his room with her, and told her he was going to get the money, of course I did not lend it to him, just wondering what the girl did...

It would really depend on the friend. I've loaned a friend $10.000 but I knew he was good for it... and he was. I've given friends $500 (15,000 B) no strings attached because they needed it. I think nothing of loaning a good friend 2000 baht because I know they will pay me back. I've loaned 5000 baht to prostitutes that I knew would repay me. But, it all starts with little bits at a time to know who your real friends are. I"ve been stung a few times, but only once with any one person, and they get no credit in the future.

So, in answer to the OPs question it would depend on the guy. If he was a good friend then I'd certainly loan him the money, and do so with a pat on the back and a big smile.

This is now a totally different story to your original post. :rolleyes: Either this is a wind up or you are a bit challenged up top. :D

Am not challenged I just wanted to give the basics, but seems some people disagreed with me, so I have started to tell more of the story so that at least my side of the story can be told. As it seemed I was the arsehol_e for not lending him the money.

Edited by beano2274

Am not a bubbler (British slang for those who are not aware), so would not tell on him to the School (where he is gonna work, without a visa or WP), to the Police (cause of Overstay) or to his Mum (to pay his debts and get rid of him).

He abuses everyone, he has debts with the local restaurant, he cannot pay his rent on time it is not just me that wants their money back.

Then why encourage him by giving him more dosh? Bloke sounds like a complete waste of space. The only reason why he stays in Thailand is cause people facilitate him doing so. He should probably up stumps and head back home. Pity his poor mum though.

Am not challenged I just wanted to give the basics, but seems some people disagreed with me, so I have started to tell more of the story so that at least my side of the story can be told. As it seemed I was the arsehol_e for not lending him the money.

Carmine I see no difference at all, maybe you see one as you want to!!!!!!

Then why encourage him by giving him more dosh? Bloke sounds like a complete waste of space. The only reason why he stays in Thailand is cause people facilitate him doing so. He should probably up stumps and head back home. Pity his poor mum though.

I gave him the dosh before as he had a GF and a baby and I felt sorry for the baby, but I gave him the money and he bought beer or fags with it, sometimes even prostitutes, when she left I helped him by selling him an old computer I had, but he did not have the money so I put it on the slate along with the rest.

Edited by beano2274

<deleted>.

Dear me, not on the same page mate.

A ridiculous post (looking for argumentative views), but nonetheless an interesting point.

Personally, I like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character and prefer to have little to do with those that I know are untrustworthy or those with values different to mine.

It narrows down the field considerably! But there are still a few good people out there.

You're only making things worse by saving this guy from what could have been an eye opener.

I say: Kick him out in cold reality - he needs to take responsibility for his own actions.

To be perfectly honest, you may be part of the problem since you're the one who's been lending him money before.