Snakes, Mongooses, And Cocks...oh My!

NguuMuu

This is a psuedo-revival of some items mentioned a while back that some of the new members might have information on. Some of these may have been answered in bits and pieces of various posts throughout the last couple years, but I have found a lot of that information to be out of date now. So, here it goes:

1) Is there anywhere you can see a snake vs. mongoose fight? I know someone that was here in the 90s and saw one of these in Bangkok, but I don't know if they exist anymore.

2) Is there anywhere you can eat snake or lizard meat? I'm talking about specific places, i.e. restaurants and stuff like that please--not some random village in Isaan or the new airport. I know places like this have been around before..in fact some friends of mine recall being able to buy fried snake right on the street.

3) What about snake "blood" (I guess it's not really blood...some other liquid from the snake)? I know it exists, but, no I didn't get this idea from 'The Beach.' I have heard Lumpini Park mentioned before.

4) Is there anywhere for a tourist to go see a cockfight (in the BKK vicinity)? Are they legal?

5) I have also heard about some sort of popular beetle fight (I forget the name of the beetle though). Any ideas where one might go about viewing this spectacle?

I apologize if some of this disgusts any of you; I'm just trying to satisfy my curiousity as I have some interested visitors coming soon. Thanks! :o

I saw a snake and mongoose fight in Bangkok in 1976. It was notable for two things; the reaction of the fat farang tourists when they dragged the cobra through the crowd to the glass box arena and the reaction of the handlers when the snake killed the mongoose. (it was obviously supposed to go the other way)

:o

2) Is there anywhere you can eat snake or lizard meat? I'm talking about specific places, i.e. restaurants and stuff like that please--not some random village in Isaan or the new airport. I know places like this have been around before..in fact some friends of mine recall being able to buy fried snake right on the street.

give you a hint , ask people about อาหารป่า (ar haan pah) i heard about 1 place จ่าเริง (ja reang)in Rangsit Area , beside Vipavadhi Rd (maybe around Choke Chai Steak house)

Bambi

Society would appear to have moved on from the days of gratification of watching endangered species killing themselves. :o for fun...

There used to be a restaurant in Chiangers that served up croc and chips,snake and eggs and even a wild rabbit curry :D (ever seen a rabbit in C.M.?)

If you really go for that sort of thing then here are plenty little greasy spoons just outside Hanoi that will do you a glass of snakes blood while you chomp through its semi di-sected yet still beating heart.

Some of them also will also serve you up a plate of steaming monkey brains which can be washed down by a noggin of bears bile (extra hot).. makes balotes and hundred year old eggs seem tame. :D

Hot dogs are of course all part of the standard fare and you can go round the back of the little Macs and watch the cooks string up your luckless mutts on piano wire before bashing them to death with sticks to tenderise the meat.

You would not believe what they do with goldfish :D

• 2 weeks later...
This is a psuedo-revival of some items mentioned a while back that some of the new members might have information on.  Some of these may have been answered in bits and pieces of various posts throughout the last couple years, but I have found a lot of that information to be out of date now.  So, here it goes:

1) Is there anywhere you can see a snake vs. mongoose fight?  I know someone that was here in the 90s and saw one of these in Bangkok, but I don't know if they exist anymore.

2) Is there anywhere you can eat snake or lizard meat?  I'm talking about specific places, i.e. restaurants and stuff like that please--not some random village in Isaan or the new airport. I know places like this have been around before..in fact some friends of mine recall being able to buy fried snake right on the street.

3) What about snake "blood" (I guess it's not really blood...some other liquid from the snake)?  I know it exists, but, no I didn't get this idea from 'The Beach.'  I have heard Lumpini Park mentioned before.

4) Is there anywhere for a tourist to go see a cockfight (in the BKK vicinity)? Are they legal?

5) I have also heard about some sort of popular beetle fight (I forget the name of the beetle though).  Any ideas where one might go about viewing this spectacle?

I apologize if some of this disgusts any of you; I'm just trying to satisfy my curiousity as I have some interested visitors coming soon. Thanks!  :o

There is(was?) an open-air restaurant close to the Bulls Head pub in Sukhumvit Soi 33 (?) that served cobra a few years back. Tried it and wasn't impressed. Have tasted better snakes dishes in China & Malaysia.