His Majesty The King Signs House Dissolution Decree

webfact

His Majesty signs House dissolution decree

By The Nation

His Majesty the King has approved the royal decree for House dissolution.

PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnontaey said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva countersigned the decree Monday afternoon.

Sathit said Abhisit has taped his announcement of the House dissolution will be aired on TV pool at 8 pm Monday.

PM's Office Minister Ong-arj Klampaibul also confirmed that the prime minister had recorded his TV announcement of the House dissolution.

The government has earlier announced that the next election will be held on July 3.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-09

BREAKING: His Majesty the King Endorses House Dissolution

His Majesty the King has endorsed the House Dissolution Decree which will take effect tomorrow, May 10. The general election will take place on July 3, 2011. The prime minister has finished taping a public address which will be aired tonight at 8:30 PM.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-09

footer_n.gif

Thai election set for July 3: government

BANGKOK, May 9, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's general election will be held on July 3 after the king endorsed a royal decree to dissolve the lower house, the government spokesman said Monday.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, the head of the elite-backed Democrat Party whose term finishes at the end of this year, submitted a royal decree to King Bhumibol Adulyadej last week to allow an early election to go ahead.

"The king has endorsed the royal decree to dissolve the house today and it will come into effect tomorrow. The election will be held on 3 July," spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn told a press conference.

By law, polls must be held between 45 and 60 days after house dissolution.

British-born, Oxford-educated Abhisit is gambling on early polls to propel him to a second term and silence critics who say he has no popular mandate.

Spokesman Panitan said the premier would release a pre-recorded message later Monday, in which he would "explain to the public the reasons for dissolving parliament and tell people about what the government has done in the past two years".

He said the government would continue working between the dissolution of the house and election day.

Abhisit's party -- the country's oldest, with a support base in Bangkok and the south -- has not won a general election in nearly two decades and faces a struggle to cling to power, even with the support of its coalition partners.

Abhisit took office in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling threw out the previous administration, and he is accused by his political foes of being an unelected puppet of the military and the establishment.

The vote comes at a politically sensitive time for Thailand, which remains deeply divided a year after an army crackdown on opposition protests in the capital, during which clashes left 90 people dead, mostly civilians.

Parties affiliated to fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra have won the most seats in the past four elections, but the former tycoon was toppled in a 2006 coup and courts reversed the results of the last two polls.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-09

House dissolved Tuesday

By The Nation

His Majesty the King has approved the royal decree for House dissolution.

PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnontaey said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva countersigned the decree Monday afternoon.

Sathit said Abhisit has taped his announcement of the House dissolution will be aired on TV pool at 8 pm Monday.

PM's Office Minister Ong-arj Klampaibul also confirmed that the prime minister had recorded his TV announcement of the House dissolution.

The government has earlier announced that the next election will be held on July 3.

Deputy PM's Secretary-General Panithan Wattanayakorn, the acting government spokesman, said the royal decree will take effect Tuesday.

The decree sets the election date on July 3, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-09

Hmmmmm just about 6 weeks from now and those that claimed "no elections" will be spinning in their figurative graves :)

There is still 6 weeks for them to put forward ridiculous claims as to why there won't be elections.

But there were a few posts that claimed that Abhisit was too scared to call an election. That one can now be debunked.

Ofcourse Thaksin said that there wouldn't be an election. I don't know why he's been campaigning if he thinks that.

Please correct me if I am wrong but this statement: PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnontaey said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva countersigned the decree Monday afternoon.

Does this not mean "countersign" is to sign against something? I'm sorry my English is not perfect?

Please correct me if I am wrong but this statement: PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnontaey said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva countersigned the decree Monday afternoon.

Does this not mean "countersign" is to sign against something? I'm sorry my English is not perfect?

It takes two signatures.

The PM and HRM. So either conter signs vs the other.

It takes two signatures.

Yes thank you. I look in my dictionary this also. Thank you sir

Hmmmmm just about 6 weeks from now and those that claimed "no elections" will be spinning in their figurative graves :)

There is still 6 weeks for them to put forward ridiculous claims as to why there won't be elections.

But there were a few posts that claimed that Abhisit was too scared to call an election. That one can now be debunked.

Ofcourse Thaksin said that there wouldn't be an election. I don't know why he's been campaigning if he thinks that.

Less than 6 weeks to announce a coup. :whistling:

General X: Look idiots! It's 6 weeks to the election and me and the boys with the braids can't think of a single valid reason to hold a coup. We're getting itchy feet and want to give the squaddies something more worthwhile to do than weed the garden in front of the barracks or play football in the late afternoon on the sports field. It's nearly 5 years since the last one. We'll be losing our touch.

General's Aide: How about we say that you saw Abhisit down the pub last night and he was looking at you in a funny way. Sort of like he was drunk and wanted to start a fight or something?

General X: Perfect!

Edited by mca

This is simply a rebalancing of the coffers. The whole process will follow the money flow. The big question is: Whose turn is it?

That is what the fuss will be about in the end.

The next 6 months will be a very interesting time for this country's future.

It won't take 6 months to be interesting.

Try 2 months.

A week or two after the election, once all the dealing is done, and someone forms a coalition government.

your timing is out Cardholder. The coup comes after the election.....if the wrong side wins......

Seriously, I hope that this can be a truly free and fair election with all parties getting a fair share of TV time, there must be no interference from the military, ideally there should be international observers, despite Mr. Suthep's racist assertion that he doesn't like Farangs, and most crucially, all sides must accept the result of the election and allow the incoming government to rule according to the will of the people.

I wish the Thai people well in their deliberations over the next 6 or 7 weeks. My only involvement will be to be woken up at 8am every morning by both parties speaker trucks and losing two weekends business when bars are prevented from serving alcohol during polling. Fortunately Mr Abhisit has kindly chosen possibly the two lowest weekends of the low season for the polls!!

your timing is out Cardholder. The coup comes after the election.....if the wrong side wins......

Sorry Lions fan, that would smack of appearing to be totally undemocratic,

Doing it BEFORE an election that you fear 'your' side might not win is, of course, internationally acceptable. :jap:

(Ialso post this because I cannot believe how quiet the form is - 32 minutes since the last post !)

Edited by cardholder

The future is in your hands, PM tells voters

By The Nation

Published on May 10, 2011

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told voters last night that it was time for them to make a decision about the country's future.

"My duties are going to end soon, and it is now your duty to determine your and your country's future. I respect the decision you are going to make," he said in a live television broadcast.

Whether the country moved forward, backward or remained mired in political conflict was up to those who cast their ballot in the upcoming election, he said.

The prime minister said his decision to dissolve the House of Representatives was given royal endorsement yesterday and that dissolution would take effect from today.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-10

It takes two signatures.

Shouldn't that be "co-signed"? Counter signed would indicate contesting something, co-signing is agreeing or accepting

Edited by featography

Seriously, I hope that this can be a truly free and fair election with all parties getting a fair share of TV time, there must be no interference from the military, ideally there should be international observers, despite Mr. Suthep's racist assertion that he doesn't like Farangs, and most crucially, all sides must accept the result of the election and allow the incoming government to rule according to the will of the people.

I wish the Thai people well in their deliberations over the next 6 or 7 weeks. My only involvement will be to be woken up at 8am every morning by both parties speaker trucks and losing two weekends business when bars are prevented from serving alcohol during polling. Fortunately Mr Abhisit has kindly chosen possibly the two lowest weekends of the low season for the polls!!

Where's your capitalist spirit?? Buy ear plugs for the loud speakers, and run a pre poll "special" with take away. They can't buy and drink at your business, but you know full well they will drink during the polling hours.

It's not just about what is going to happen after the 3rd July. Watch out for what is going to happen during the election campaign. I woudn't like to be a Democrat candidate canvassing say in Udon Thani. Like for football matches the party will have to have substitutes ready in case of injuries.

AND they're OFF n' running!!

Running at the mouth of course.

May the least objectionable batch of sociopaths win.

ha ha ha ... I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it. :lol:

It isnt is it, to counter sign, is to sign in agreement.

It takes two signatures.

Shouldn't that be "co-signed"? Counter signed would indicate contesting something, co-signing is agreeing or accepting

Semantics, however countersigned is appropriate for this suituation.

It takes two signatures.

Dictionaries are pretty clear on this, best check it if you are unsure since it really has nothing to do with this topic, cheers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersign_%28legal%29

Sorry Lions fan, that would smack of appearing to be totally undemocratic,

Doing it BEFORE an election that you fear 'your' side might not win is, of course, internationally acceptable. :jap:

(Ialso post this because I cannot believe how quiet the form is - 32 minutes since the last post !)

32 mins since the last quote ... that is because EVERYONE is reading and replying to the 'forum/topic/466989-thailand-kfc-faces-employee-lawsuit-for-unfair-practices' ... already 5 pages of comments, many of which have been heavily moderated or wiped already.

Up to page 5 and over 400 readers.

I rarely comment here, just read and try and glean the knowledge for the long stayers or residents who write with forethought and articulately ... and spell check their musings.

I almost put my two cents in over at the KFC debate but noticed that of lot of the comments were from new users ... maybe the ole'-timers have seen this all before.

Oh ... I better not stray too far off subject for fear of getting wiped.

As for the election, good luck to the Thai people.

Thailand is not a 'perfect' democracy as we enjoy in most Western Cultures but it is a start.

International observers would assist in the world's perception of a 'free and fair' election and 'no Farang' (as prescribed by some politicians) would not be a problem as the Thais only refer to the 'white foreigner' as a Farang ... maybe a mixture of Japan, Sth Korea, UAE and Brazil might bring an international flavour to the election oversight.

As for me ... this is post #2, but I read more then I write (very often, 'less is more') ... and then think before I write.

Thanks to all those who have contributed with their insights on the Forum topics ... and one thing that I have gleaned from the writings here is that a member who writes many posts does not equal valuable insight to Thai Culture.

Once again ... good luck to the Thai people.

Sure there might be some vote buying, but it is a far fairer system then, for example, North Korea, where you have the right to vote ... as long as it is for the government candidate.

Chok dee muk marrk

Just think - if Thaksin's big ass ego hadn't gotten involved (with the "phone call" at the televised negotiations), we would have had elections LAST OCTOBER. Thaksin you big dumb lug you. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Montenegro Misty Island Beverage - gonna be there for a long long time.