Good Buffet

murrinman

the gold standard is probably the Grandview hotel, IMO, something like 180 baht as I recall

Huli, do they serve a selection of Thai and western food, if so what is an example of the western fare on offer?

JL

the gold standard is probably the Grandview hotel, IMO, something like 180 baht as I recall

Huli, do they serve a selection of Thai and western food, if so what is an example of the western fare on offer?

JL

From what I hear the quality of food has gone down somewhat.

Last time I was at the Grandview a couple of weeks agothe Western food included spaghetti, a fish dish that was pretty good, and some pork dish. As UG said for the price it's a good deal. According to Thais I know, the Thai food is excellent.

Edited by venturalaw

Grandview is much more about Thai food than Western. Good for the price though.

The Holiday Inn is is way up there for Western food and would be cheap for Bangok, but slightly on the expensive side for Chiang Mai.

To mention the Grandview in same post as the Holiday Inn? Grandview is just some o.k. can eat it type food,the Holiday Inn buffet is a dining experence,the real deal ..

The Holiday Inn buffet is nothing short of spectacular! This past Sunday dined there first time and WOW!

If you are short cash either save up your money or borrow from friends since this is well worth it.

If Christmas,New Years,Thanksgiving need not go any father than the Holiday Inn , This is an American company and the very best thing going on in CM hands down.

All others are distant thirds and do not even deserave mention .

The two of us for lunch Sunday was 1300 baht something out the door. We decided this past Sunday to skip eating a couple regular dinners, regular places,the pizza,burger typical (which eaily ends up very close to 1000baht for two at the places mentioned over and over on this forum )and hit the holiday Inn, that way we acually come out a head way ahead.

The best value in Chiang mai but you have to be healthy because there is so much excellent food at so many stations you have to be ready to walk and discover all of the choices , a huge taste treat!

To call the Grandview the 'gold" standard ...Huh?? Been there twice no way a third time. Heavy on the chicken dishes ,. save your $ up for a total treat at the Holiday Inn buffet.

Edited by yesterday

You really think that Holiday inn is a good deal? I think that there selection is great, however their chef's need some more practice. They don't even slice the roast or the turkey in the right way. Their ham is way overcooked, their beef undercooked. I almost think that they have too many choices. With such a mixed menu it is hard to get everything right. Last time I was there they had Indian, Thai, mexican, and typical meats and seafoods.

I give it about 6 out of 10, but for Chiang Mai it is very good. CM is not a foodies heaven but it is sustainable.

You really think that Holiday inn is a good deal? I think that there selection is great, however their chef's need some more practice. They don't even slice the roast or the turkey in the right way. Their ham is way overcooked, their beef undercooked. I almost think that they have too many choices. With such a mixed menu it is hard to get everything right. Last time I was there they had Indian, Thai, mexican, and typical meats and seafoods.

I give it about 6 out of 10, but for Chiang Mai it is very good. CM is not a foodies heaven but it is sustainable.

Sounds perfect, blood still oozing out? :)

I thought a buffet was supposed to have a good selection.To complain that they cut your turkey wrong in itself is pretty weak complaint.I am going to give the OP a little review of the food choices but to give it a 6 out of 10 is silly, compared to what? the grandview ?then that would be a negative 2, etc etc. What are you comparing it to? Please tell us the buffet that surpases this place the ones that are a 7,8,9,10 here in CM with the same quality,quanity of choices.

well here goes.>>> I started with about 3 oz. of brie cheese and the same of blue cheese spread it on breads and crackers , then to the huge prawns u peel them ate three , cold crab legs about 6 claws ,skipped the oysters and the lobster. Had lamb marsela, sliced roast lamb, sliced roast beef and honestly could care less about how they sliced it,maybe that was a joke )? Had 3 ducks dishes, ,three fish dishes including grilled cold salmon picked a huge chunk out of a huge fish Chinese spicy fried fish ,a fish and black pepper, had some fried chicken strips with added a sauce, then moved on to the pizza just one slice was great taste heavy cheese, then to the dim sum too many to eat them all , now we are looking at the pasta section they prepare which I skipped completely , moving back to the entrees which I had 6-7 more but too much to detail. The gravy for the beef which was cooked a medium fine for me a pink.

The cold salads a treat too many to detail about a dozen of them ,I had potato salad and a few others .

Finally the deserts right here skip all the food you can have fun just in the deserts, cheese cake blueberry sauce on it, banana cheese cake ,a hot chocolate cake ,wow, then I passes a huge European cold cut section but not slices laying there a chef standing behind huge roast different colds meats but I was now desert laden.

Edited by bazmlb
Fonts changed as per forum netiquite

You can't really compare the buffets at Grandview and Holiday Inn; both are good but in different ways.

The Grandview is a great weekday buffet, excellent value for the money (about 160 baht). Always at least three entre choices of western food and more choices of Thai main dishes. Nice fresh salad area, sushi and other Japanese food and a good selection of desserts. The ingredients appear to be Thai-sourced. I know people who eat lunch there several times weekly. You can make sensible menu choices because of the emphasis on vegetables in many of the entrees.

The Holiday Inn Sunday buffet is a once-in-a-while splurge, if your idea of a splurge is seeing how much high-fat and imported food you can eat. Gives you bragging rights for all the fancy meats, seafood, cheese and other items that are considered gourmet. Personally. I just don't want to eat enough of this type of unhealthy stuff to justify the expense, but I know people who look forward to a once-a-month trip to the HI Sunday buffet.

Good we've got both options in Chiang Mai.

The EMPRESS Hotel - super best value for the money - 200 baht for lunch if you have a "gold" card. It gets you 15 percent off and it costs 150 baht to sign up. Eventhough you don't have a card, the value is still great. Numerous selection of Thai and Western food. They even have Japanese food, and dim som, great deserts also.

I thought a buffet was supposed to have a good selection.To complain that they cut your turkey wrong in itself is pretty weak complaint.I am going to give the OP a little review of the food choices but to give it a 6 out of 10 is silly, compared to what? the grandview ?then that would be a negative 2, etc etc. What are you comparing it to? Please tell us the buffet that surpases this place the ones that are a 7,8,9,10 here in CM with the same quality,quanity of choices.

well here goes.>>> I started with about 3 oz. of brie cheese and the same of blue cheese spread it on breads and crackers , then to the huge prawns u peel them ate three , cold crab legs about 6 claws ,skipped the oysters and the lobster. Had lamb marsela, sliced roast lamb, sliced roast beef and honestly could care less about how they sliced it,maybe that was a joke )? Had 3 ducks dishes, ,three fish dishes including grilled cold salmon picked a huge chunk out of a huge fish Chinese spicy fried fish ,a fish and black pepper, had some fried chicken strips with added a sauce, then moved on to the pizza just one slice was great taste heavy cheese, then to the dim sum too many to eat them all , now we are looking at the pasta section they prepare which I skipped completely , moving back to the entrees which I had 6-7 more but too much to detail. The gravy for the beef which was cooked a medium fine for me a pink.

The cold salads a treat too many to detail about a dozen of them ,I had potato salad and a few others .

Finally the deserts right here skip all the food you can have fun just in the deserts, cheese cake blueberry sauce on it, banana cheese cake ,a hot chocolate cake ,wow, then I passes a huge European cold cut section but not slices laying there a chef standing behind huge roast different colds meats but I was now desert laden.

wow you have quite an appetite! :o

Sergio's buffet at "Why Not" near Niemanheiman road is quite good. I just got back.:thumbsup:

Although "Why Not" was just okay for an Italian style buffet, and the price was exceptionally reasonable, the concern I have is that the buffet is outside and there is no protection from insects. The other concern that may come up--if there is ever a hot season this year-- is that how the food will stay sitting there for hours not being refrigerated or covered up.

<br />The EMPRESS Hotel - super best value for the money - 200 baht for lunch if you have a "gold" card.    It gets you 15 percent off and it costs 150 baht to sign up.    Eventhough you don't have a card, the value is still great.   Numerous selection of Thai and Western food.     They even have Japanese food, and dim som, great deserts also.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, generally good, but get there before 12 for the best selection. Great value on the sushi alone.

Hey, Yesterday man! Why is the "American company" so vital to mention in connection with the Holiday Inn? No guarantee of anything. Look at Haliburton. Get a world view whydoncha?

The EMPRESS Hotel - super best value for the money - 200 baht for lunch if you have a "gold" card. It gets you 15 percent off and it costs 150 baht to sign up. Eventhough you don't have a card, the value is still great. Numerous selection of Thai and Western food. They even have Japanese food, and dim som, great deserts also.

Just don't stay in Empress group hotels until they promise not to use killer pesticides to remove bedbugs!

Don't mean to quibble, but the Holiday Inn is an American "Brand" but the hotel owners and staff are mostly the same for the last ten years and the buffet is about the same as when the "Brand" was the "The Westin" then morphed to "The Sheraton" and now "The Holiday Inn". My bet is the kitchen staff hasn't changed much over the years. The owner 10 years ago, when it was the Westin, was a Pakistani and when he died, one of his wives took over, however, the Managing Director has remained the same all these years, Manuel, who is Swiss and a really nice guy.

We live in a third world country where a majority of the population is rural and living just above the poverty line. There are also minorities that are persecuted and even murdered.

I always find the hubris displayed on these food threads quite distasteful.

Duangtawan dimsum buffet is good.

They also have an international buffet on the next floor.

Agreed that the dimsum is very good, but expensive. The international buffet, which I have not tried for more than a year, quality-wise was frequently hit-or-miss. Perhaps it has become more consistent? When it was good, it was very good.

Sergio's buffet at "Why Not" near Niemanheiman road is quite good. I just got back.:thumbsup:

Although "Why Not" was just okay for an Italian style buffet, and the price was exceptionally reasonable, the concern I have is that the buffet is outside and there is no protection from insects. The other concern that may come up--if there is ever a hot season this year-- is that how the food will stay sitting there for hours not being refrigerated or covered up.

I agree - the insects were present, however, the deserts alone (which are all refrigerated), IMHO, were well worth it.

We live in a third world country where a majority of the population is rural and living just above the poverty line. There are also minorities that are persecuted and even murdered.

I always find the hubris displayed on these food threads quite distasteful.

I can see your point and will take something from it but the fact is your using an internet connection many of these people cant afford. This internet connection would give them access to more information which could help them improve their situations in drastic ways. Your also living in a foreign country because you can, Im sure there is a hell of alot more that we all do that these people can't, its not just food.

Thailand is far from a 3rd world country, it is incredibly wealthy just portrayed not to be so certain people can hide their true wealth and not have to spend it on things that dont benefit them.

This is a rhetorical question as its not really my business but what do you do to improve these peoples lives...???

I find it alot more distasteful that the politicians and alike of this country drive around in mercedes all day and write the laws to benefit themselves and hog all the money.

It seems that the main example of "murdered minorities" on this thread is the English language.

Anyone who can eat a desert, however well refrigerated, after a meal is quite some person!

I'm not sure what murdered minorities have to do with food threads. Most of us are just looking for food like we grew up on. :blink:

No kidding , what the heck is going on here?? "murdeous,third world" etc etc. huh? What is going on with these few TV people?.

Edited by yesterday

Don't mean to quibble, but the Holiday Inn is an American "Brand" but the hotel owners and staff are mostly the same for the last ten years and the buffet is about the same as when the "Brand" was the "The Westin" then morphed to "The Sheraton" and now "The Holiday Inn". My bet is the kitchen staff hasn't changed much over the years. The owner 10 years ago, when it was the Westin, was a Pakistani and when he died, one of his wives took over, however, the Managing Director has remained the same all these years, Manuel, who is Swiss and a really nice guy.

Just to be clear as far as American brands go , the Westin and Sheraton head offices are in New York state and are American brands too! These two are more the American international luxury hotel brands relative to the Holiday inn brand which caters to holiday and business travelers.

It really doesn't matter Swiss , Mexican, Dutch you name it, running a hotel you hire the help that get the best job done . The help does not define the hotel chain but does defines the service of the particular hotel . The Holiday Inn seems to be doing a fine job promoting its brand name by exhibiting quality though the fantastic Sunday buffet which is certainly the best in C.M.

Edited by yesterday