Two Out Of Three National Id Database Servers Down, Crisis Imminent

george

Two out of three National ID database servers down, crisis imminent

BY DON SAMBANDARAKSA – MAY 10, 2011

BANGKOK: -- The Bureau of Registration Administration (BORA), Ministry of Interior has lost two out of three national ID database servers and is now running on its last backup server.

A report in ThaiPost (not available online) quoted by Manager said that BORA has lost two of its three database servers and that if the last one failed, it would have severe consequences for passports, police and the elections.

Framed as an election story, the report noted that the Election Commission had not been informed that the national ID database was running on its last backup and that if it failed, it would not be possible to print out election name lists.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Education operations also depend on the database.

Procurement to replace the broken servers were still ongoing.

The story also noted that the Smart ID card issuing equipment at over 150 stations were broken, meaning that a large number of voters would have to use temporary ID documents (yellow pieces of paper with an optional photo attached) which could easily be forged in the elections.

-- http://www.amitiae.com/?p=2843

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How <deleted> hard is it to replace a server?

I swear, the Thais must have contracted out their IT to my employer. My company has had a massive problem for the past 3 months with its servers. Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

I swear, the Thais must have contracted out their IT to my employer. My company has had a massive problem for the past 3 months with its servers. Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

I'm sure they're not playing games on them. Can't think of any that are compatable with Windows 3.11.

National? <deleted>? Haven't they heard of clusters and san's? I'd be happy to install some proper systems for them.

cluster ! c'mon !

I remember last year, a thai accountant telling us how effective her ERP system was - when asked which one - she replied "Excel with internet" !

Edited by gtm2k

"the Election Commission had not been informed that the national ID database was running on its last backup and that if it failed, it would not be possible to print out election name lists"

never mind, they will read about it in the tomorrow newspapers.

interesting to know, if BORA lost 2 servers at the same time or over the time. And why they can't make back up of the existing server. Surely, a lot of data, but surely ministry of interior would have some resources

Edited by londonthai

I'm sure they're not playing games on them. Can't think of any that are compatable with Windows 3.11.

WIN 3.1 :lol: nice one :lol: :lol: :lol:

is it a set-up durin' the pre-election period?

don't tell me this means "the election on July3 will be postponed then due to the 2 servers down."

the server things are too new?

haha,,, my oh my, severe consequences for passports, police and the elections.

Edited by dunkin2012

It's not technical nor happenstance. Quite deliberate......<_<

Who is surprised. Just look at how they ISP's mismanage everything. And of course nobody wants to lose face and hire any foreigners to fix the problems.

Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

Just don't install Windows servers, problem solved.

Edited by WyattEarp

How &lt;deleted&gt; hard is it to replace a server?

It's not technical nor happenstance. Quite deliberate......<_<

Pray do tell us all!

National? &lt;deleted&gt;? Haven't they heard of clusters and san's? I'd be happy to install some proper systems for them.

maybe they have a cluster connected with sans? and now working to bring back the 2 servers. there is no information about this network environment.

:(

It's normal to have a backup Server ready configured just in case and a dedicated Build Server sitting on a Work Station to rapidly configure everything except permissions. The permissions and data are normally backed up onto tape.

It's a bit far fetched that the story is totally true given the strategic importance of the data and its access

They couldnt figure how to load WIN 7......or maybe they lost their pirated WIN 7copies in a police raid

They couldnt figure how to load WIN 7......or maybe they lost their pirated WIN 7copies in a police raid

nope .... they would likely be Unix servers to handle such heap of info. sitting on the servers and flowing in/out.

And mostly working with command lines. need a great skilled dude to rescue the servers........

Edited by dunkin2012

And why they can't make back up of the existing server. Surely, a lot of data, but surely ministry of interior would have some resources

I thought everything in this country had paper back-up in quadruplicate, or is it just my marriage visa

"We don't need no stinkin' clusters," he said, walking away and whistiling over Walrus lyrics, I am the eggman, I am the walrus, ____ ____ ____-____.

Maybe they are with true move and the server keeps loading the true move 'support' home page, really stuffs up my iPhone ;)

Or has one of the IT guys got busted by w3 looking up a lil red7ube?

coo coo ca coupe

cha cha cha

It's normal to have a backup Server ready configured just in case and a dedicated Build Server sitting on a Work Station to rapidly configure everything except permissions. The permissions and data are normally backed up onto tape.

It's a bit far fetched that the story is totally true given the strategic importance of the data and its access

now you're talking crazy talk.

You got it; you hit the nail right on the head.

I walk through offices and never fails to see many of the computers logged on to the same sales bullshit for females – dresses, shoes, handbags, lingerie, to name but some, female employees are all window shopping and comparing items and in the process tying up servers. I figured to fix the problem of online as slow as molasses so I changed to ipStar. Well for a while it worked, but then more and more companies changed on to ipStar and during working hours it is now the same as when I was on a landline, slow as molasses. By now I do my entire internet searching after 2000 hour when the window shopping ladies have left the office and gone home to gape at the idiot box.

This is very convienient for the present government as this means that anyone who does not have their Thai id card to present for voting purpose can have a temporary "id card" made at the polling stations with "Photo" optional.

This means that a Thai can go to a polling station away from where they live and normally they have areas for people to vote who are not at their home town/village and can ask for a temporary piece of yellow paper to vote and then go out and eat and come back to vote again.

It aso means that the electorial votes cannot be counted fairly and can be delayed.

By law, polls must be held between 45 and 60 days after house dissolution. So if the count is delayed past the 45 to 60 day period the current government can be reinstated.

I do not need to tell anyone here what is on the plate now.

Many have said that Thaksin is corrupt and that the Abhisit government is much better however this is clear that he beats Thaksin on this one 110%