Swearing On Met 107

mightyharriss

I don't understand the consistent swearing in songs on MET 107, at 3 in the afternoon. Do they not screen the songs here. They can't blame it on lack of English speakers, as all their newsreaders speak English as well as a number of their DJ's... Why should I subject my 7 year old to the words that are used within songs on this station. It is unacceptable and I can't believe that it carries on every day.

Before anyone says.. "there are other radio stations' why should I when my daughter wants to listen to the songs of today

Edited by mightyharriss

Had noticed this myself too. I too was suprised, though not offended, but then I am judging by BBC standards I was brought up with I suppose.

I think they dont realise.

I'm not offended, I can swear with the worst of them, but children and parents on a school run should not be subjected to phrases such as " f''* the police" "I don't give a shi'" and BITCH... this was all in one song.

When my daughter turns round and says what does that word mean daddy, then it becomes unacceptable.

Agreed, trouble is it is probably one of the best stations available as far as I am concerned.

On a related topic, for some reason ended up watching TAN network channel tonight on True...:blink: and one of the topics under discussion by that idiot farang with funny hair was "happy endings" massages availible around BKK.....strange topic for "prime time" TV.....:o .......one would suspect if the same topic was discussed on TV it would be closed down very quickly......but it occured to me if children were watching this imagine the question from the kids...."Daddy what is a happy endings massage ?"....:D

Had noticed this myself too. I too was suprised, though not offended, but then I am judging by BBC standards I was brought up with I suppose.

I'm not offended, I can swear with the worst of them, but children and parents on a school run should not be subjected to phrases such as " f''* the police" "I don't give a shi'" and BITCH... this was all in one song.

When my daughter turns round and says what does that word mean daddy, then it becomes unacceptable.

I completely understand your concern and I've to say it's your responsibility as a parent to turn off the radio and engage your daughter in a meaningful conversation instead of listening to a program that is obviously not taylored for a 7 years old. Alternatively you can spend some time to record CDs with songs you deem suitable for your daughter.

But blaming the radio for your shortcoming is definitively not the right thing to do.

Agreed, trouble is it is probably one of the best stations available as far as I am concerned.

On a related topic, for some reason ended up watching TAN network channel tonight on True...:blink: and one of the topics under discussion by that idiot farang with funny hair was "happy endings" massages availible around BKK.....strange topic for "prime time" TV.....:o .......one would suspect if the same topic was discussed on TV it would be closed down very quickly......but it occured to me if children were watching this imagine the question from the kids...."Daddy what is a happy endings massage ?"....:D

if you need to show happy ending massage show this link, don't worry, its on youtube so you know its not a sex video

but children and parents on a school run should not be subjected to phrases such as " f''* the police" "I don't give a shi'" and BITCH... this was all in one song.

Yeah that Michael Buble bloke has really gone for a change of image.

OP, I noticed it also. Kind of surprising. Have you tried 102.5 or 105.5? They have current music, but not quite as cutting edge as 107. Also, more Thai language. It is an alternative. I have never heard them swear on either of those stations.

buy. her. an. ipod.

oddly, i have not listened to the radio (beyond captive situations) in approx 20 years.

Edited by nocturn

Nothing new here.

Some extracts from Wikipedia (I'm too lazy to search for the original sources) :

A danger to the security of the United States

The files deal with the sexual drives of the American youth aroused beyond normality by Elvis Presley. In a letter to J. Edgar Hoover dated May 16, 1956, for instance, a purported former member of the Army Intelligence Service states that Presley is a "definite danger to the security of the United States" because he had driven girls and boys mad. The letter says that Elvis's "actions and motions were such as to rouse the sexual passions of teenaged youth. One eye-witness described his actions as 'sexual self-gratification on stage,' – another as 'a strip-tease with clothes on.' The author further criticizes Elvis's "motions and gestures, like those of masturbation or riding a microphone," and adds that "Indications of the harm Presley did ... were two high school girls (...) whose abdomen and thigh had Presley's autograph. ... It is known by psychologists, psychiatrists and priests that teenaged girls from the age of eleven, and boys in their adolescence are easily aroused to sexual indulgence and perversion by certain types of motions and hysteria, – the type that was exhibited at the Presley show. There is also gossip of the Presley Fan Clubs that degenerate into sex orgies. ... From eye-witness reports about Presley, I would judge that he may possibly be a drug addict and a sexual pervert."[3]

[edit]Endeavor to denounce the Beatles, the Smothers Brothers and Jane Fonda

Ten days after Presley met with President Richard Nixon at the White House in 1970, the singer was granted a private tour of FBI Headquarters. The FBI memo recounts Presley's visit and that he would like to advise FBI director Hoover "that The Beatles laid the groundwork for many of the problems we are having with young people by their filthy unkempt appearances and suggestive music while entertaining in this country during the early and middle 1960s." In Presley's opinion, the source for the disaffected youth of the day owed to the existence of "the Smothers Brothers,Jane Fonda, and other persons in the entertainment industry of their ilk," because they had "poisoned young minds by disparaging the United States in their public statements and unsavory activities."[4] However, unlike Nixon, Hoover refused to meet with Presley, who he described as "wearing of all sorts of exotic dress."[5]

And don't get me started on John Lennon ....

It's just evolution of society and language. A few years ago no songs would be allowed with swearwords now they are reaching the top of the charts, because people are buying them.

People have always sworn. Smart-<deleted> try to say things like "well Shakespeare didn't use swearwords" although in fact he did, a lot. It's just that they used different swearwords at the time.

Many of the swearwords of today are losing their effect as they increasingly become an everyday part of the language. A few years ago the words sod and bugger were taboo, but nowadays they barely raise an eyebrow. The word 'shit' also had some impact not so long ago, now even the swear filters don't bother with it. Today's profanities will meet the same destiny and be replaced by other words that have an impact.

It may not be ideal, but I wouldn't try to shield children from it 'too' much after all it is just a part of the language.

The files deal with the sexual drives of the American youth aroused beyond normality by Elvis Presley. In a letter to J. Edgar Hoover dated May 16, 1956, for instance, a purported former member of the Army Intelligence Service states that Presley is a "definite danger to the security of the United States" because he had driven girls and boys mad. The letter says that Elvis's "actions and motions were such as to rouse the sexual passions of teenaged youth. One eye-witness described his actions as 'sexual self-gratification on stage,' – another as 'a strip-tease with clothes on.' The author further criticizes Elvis's "motions and gestures, like those of masturbation or riding a microphone," and adds that "Indications of the harm Presley did ... were two high school girls (...) whose abdomen and thigh had Presley's autograph. ... It is known by psychologists, psychiatrists and priests that teenaged girls from the age of eleven, and boys in their adolescence are easily aroused to sexual indulgence and perversion by certain types of motions and hysteria, – the type that was exhibited at the Presley show. There is also gossip of the Presley Fan Clubs that degenerate into sex orgies. ... From eye-witness reports about Presley, I would judge that he may possibly be a drug addict and a sexual pervert."[3]

Ten days after Presley met with President Richard Nixon at the White House in 1970, the singer was granted a private tour of FBI Headquarters. The FBI memo recounts Presley's visit and that he would like to advise FBI director Hoover "that The Beatles laid the groundwork for many of the problems we are having with young people by their filthy unkempt appearances and suggestive music while entertaining in this country during the early and middle 1960s." In Presley's opinion, the source for the disaffected youth of the day owed to the existence of "the Smothers Brothers,Jane Fonda, and other persons in the entertainment industry of their ilk," because they had "poisoned young minds by disparaging the United States in their public statements and unsavory activities."[4] However, unlike Nixon, Hoover refused to meet with Presley, who he described as "wearing of all sorts of exotic dress."[5]

:D Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Elvis was getting a little jealous of our British success, huh?

Above is a small piece of proof that morons exist everywhere.

It's just evolution of society and language. A few years ago no songs would be allowed with swearwords now they are reaching the top of the charts, because people are buying them.

People have always sworn. Smart-<deleted> try to say things like "well Shakespeare didn't use swearwords" although in fact he did, a lot. It's just that they used different swearwords at the time.

Example? I don't think Shakespeare used swear words. He used innuendo and suggestive speech, but I don't recall 'swears' in Shakespeare plays.

Eminem uses swear words a lot because he has no imagination and isn't very good. He's just ONE example of popular music that ruins it for everyone.

I'm not against swearing in music - there are some artists who use it for effect, and some who just use it. But when it comes to music in the charts, most of it is inane drivel fuelled by swearing because without those swears people wouldn't be distracted to see that they really aren't saying anything about anything. Rihanna is guilty of this, but rather than swearing she just repeats words over and over again until you forget you have a soul.

:D Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Elvis was getting a little jealous of our British success, huh?

Example? I don't think Shakespeare used swear words. He used innuendo and suggestive speech, but I don't recall 'swears' in Shakespeare plays.

Eminem uses swear words a lot because he has no imagination and isn't very good. He's just ONE example of popular music that ruins it for everyone.

I'm not against swearing in music - there are some artists who use it for effect, and some who just use it. But when it comes to music in the charts, most of it is inane drivel fuelled by swearing because without those swears people wouldn't be distracted to see that they really aren't saying anything about anything. Rihanna is guilty of this, but rather than swearing she just repeats words over and over again until you forget you have a soul.

Just a few examples here

http://socyberty.com/education/evolution-of-profanity-how-swear-words-came-to-be/

How on earth can you say Eminem has is no good?

He is not my cup of tea but it's easy to see that man has A LOT of talent. That was one bizarre statement

Just a few examples here

http://socyberty.com...rds-came-to-be/

He is not my cup of tea but it's easy to see that man has A LOT of talent. That was one bizarre statement

funny, i was going too send the same link but decided that anyone who calls themselves a "teacher" should be able to use google all by himself.

Just a few examples here

http://socyberty.com...rds-came-to-be/

Thanks for the link, honestly. I wasn't trying to create an argument, I just really didn't know that Shakespeare used swearing. Now I do, I stand corrected!

I don't think Eminem is all that great, to be honest. A lot of the hype around him in the beginning was because he was a white rapper for people who didn't know about The Beastie Boys. Yes, he has got talent, but not nearly as much as people bestow upon him. Just listen to everything he does, it's all the same nonsense. It's my opinion, not a bizarre statement.

'nocturn']

[/url]funny, i was going too send the same link but decided that anyone who calls themselves a "teacher" should be able to use google all by himself.

Oh well done, sir. I don't call myself a ''teacher'', I teach here in Thailand like a lot of other Westerners. I don't, therefore, claim to know everything. Moonrakers posted a link for me to correct me on my error, and for that I'm thankful. You just threw a snide little insult my way, well done. Way to boost your own selfworth on an Internet forum.

I completely understand your concern and I've to say it's your responsibility as a parent to turn off the radio and engage your daughter in a meaningful conversation instead of listening to a program that is obviously not taylored for a 7 years old. Alternatively you can spend some time to record CDs with songs you deem suitable for your daughter.

But blaming the radio for your shortcoming is definitively not the right thing to do.

Get you all high and mighty. My daughter has been brought up with respect how dare you you sanctamonious arse. They are playing this at 3 in the afternoon, how is that my responsibility?

My opinion is that part of the appeal of being in a place like Thailand is that politically correct measures of removing swear words from some music are not used. On the other hand radio stations should refrain from playing rap songs with an excessive swear word content....But like I said, some songs are good to be left alone, the swear words are what make the songs likeable.

Get you all high and mighty. My daughter has been brought up with respect how dare you you sanctamonious arse. They are playing this at 3 in the afternoon, how is that my responsibility?

Have you ever heard of the on/off button ? 3 pm or 3 am, the world doen't revolve around the needs of your daughter.

But being a positive person, may I suggest for you to buy the following CD, the first classic guitarist signed by Deutsche Grammophon for years. Great music and very positive attitude, I think very suitable for a 7 years old.

All the great artists, including Lady Gaga rolleyes.gif, have a classical formation.

Edited by JurgenG

Songs are also rather suggestive at the mo. My daughter was just singing "You spin my head right round, when you go down". She's six years old, but what can one do?

But then I understand that "My ding a ling" was rather controversial when it was first released.

Songs are also rather suggestive at the mo. My daughter was just singing "You spin my head right round, when you go down". She's six years old, but what can one do?

But then I understand that "My ding a ling" was rather controversial when it was first released.

And as for the geezer in your avatar. Plaistow Patricia anyone? Or how 'bout the one about Ada? Classics.

And as for the geezer in your avatar. Plaistow Patricia anyone? Or how 'bout the one about Ada? Classics.

Which avatar can you see now then?

It should be Captain Blackadder but it sometimes flips back to my old Ian Drury avatar for no apparent reason. But yeah, Ian Drury was a great artist. I'm a very big fan of his.

Edited by Moonrakers