Yamaha Nouvo Kickstand Modification

I have a Yamaha Nouvo...

I am always forgetting to put the kickstand up!!!

It can actually be a bit dangerous!!!

I was wondering if Yamaha or a third party makes the same kind of starter cutoff that is standard on Honda's?

My 2004 R1 had one fitted. If the side stand was down and I started to release the clutch, it would stall. The Nouvo are auto's correct and I'm not sure if they have a gear indicator / sensor, so I'm not sure how one could be setup cheaply for you.

]

Its not a starter cutout its also the ignition, put the stand down with the engine running and it cuts out, it should be possible to retro fit a switch. :rolleyes:

So why are you giving the op the ROLL EYE's smiley, as if how the side stand cut out works, should be common knowledge.

How about explaining how they can go about the process of doing the retrofit. What parts they need, how to intrigate with the ignition system and if it is an auto clutch bike, then there are other issues to ensure the system will work. Manual bikes easy, auto bikes not so easy.

Posted 2011-05-10 18:40:55 I have a Yamaha Nouvo...

I was wondering if Yamaha or a third party makes the same kind of starter cutoff that is standard on Honda's?

Slokevin (nice nick by the way)..probably should call myself slogarry :lol:

Okay, you need source something similar to what is shown below, switch wise.

The photo of the side stand link is just to give you and idea on geometry and not that the switch needs to be positioned this way, but ideally the switch is activated when the stand is in the fully down position. Fortunately the Yamaha parts catalog shows the correct orientation. Without worrying about gear neutral/position indicators, see if you can get a hold of the wiring diagram for your bike, so that you can source the ignition circuit.

The switches function on my old Yamaha was a 'normally closed' scenario. Meaning that when the side stand is not contacting it, the circuit is closed (complete) and ignition can take place.

The switch will have to be wired in a simple 'SERIES' type of circuit (<=click on the embedded link). You're going to have to use a bit of discretion on the best place to fit the switch.

Example below: A lamp in series. Imagine the lamp (crossed circles) is your ignition with the side stand switch activating (below shows two switches in series, just ignore one them, but you get the idea)..

swseries.gif

The info below is just to give you an idea, as more than likely Yamaha will probably have an updated versions of this switch / part number.

Part No: 5PX-82566-50-00 SWITCH, SIDE STAND

04R1SIDESTANDSWITCH.jpg

5JJ-27315-00-00 LINK, SIDE STAND

04R1SIDESTANDLINK.jpg

If you have any more questions, ask away. The info above should give you a good base to work on.

Cheers,

Garry

Edited by Garry

Posted 2011-05-10 18:40:55 I have a Yamaha Nouvo...

Slokevin (nice nick by the way)..probably should call myself slogarry :lol:

Okay, you need source something similar to what is shown below, switch wise.

The photo of the side stand link is just to give you and idea on geometry and not that the switch needs to be positioned this way, but ideally the switch is activated when the stand is in the fully down position. Fortunately the Yamaha parts catalog shows the correct orientation. Without worrying about gear neutral/position indicators, see if you can get a hold of the wiring diagram for your bike, so that you can source the ignition circuit.

The switches function on my old Yamaha was a 'normally closed' scenario. Meaning that when the side stand is not contacting it, the circuit is closed (complete) and ignition can take place.

The switch will have to be wired in a simple 'SERIES' type of circuit (<=click on the embedded link). You're going to have to use a bit of discretion on the best place to fit the switch.

Example below: A lamp in series. Imagine the lamp (crossed circles) is your ignition with the side stand switch activating (below shows two switches in series, just ignore one them, but you get the idea)..

swseries.gif

The info below is just to give you an idea, as more than likely Yamaha will probably have an updated versions of this switch / part number.

Part No: 5PX-82566-50-00 SWITCH, SIDE STAND

04R1SIDESTANDSWITCH.jpg

5JJ-27315-00-00 LINK, SIDE STAND

04R1SIDESTANDLINK.jpg

If you have any more questions, ask away. The info above should give you a good base to work on.

Cheers,

Garry

Well there you go Garry your the man :rolleyes: