Rubber Trees

Cassava price alwsys goes up half way through our season when the supply and demand is in our favour but unfortunately none to sell. Same goes for harvest time when everyone else is doing it and oversupply happens and yep you guessed it price drops again . I'll stick with rubber, missus is optimistic that things will be better even if we were getting 100 a sheet and 45 kee yang . Still a semi constant monthly income . Better than waiting all year for other crops .

One lady from Chumpon bought and planted 800 Rai of yang couple of years ago when the price was good. Now price is crap she's finding it hard to find tappers and has returned to Chumpon to cut down there .

Like everyone else has said don't put all your eggs in one basket and diversify your crops.

• Like 1

Nice video that cover all basics of rubber tree plantation ->

Big thanks Deepcell!

Any suggestion (even if small) to pay attention with is welcome

J.

Hi J. and others,

I'm not in the business right now, but I'm planning to get back onboard soon, but as I read and researched the last few months, things for tappers are not going very well.. I'm looking the possibility to setup a nursery instead of plant RAIs and wait to long for tap... I do not know the future, it can be good or bad, who knows?.. then I think some short term revenue is better for the moment (and diversify of course).. nursery look a good investment (since always have new ventures on rubber tree), the seeds takes between 3 and 6 months to be ready to re-plant in the final land, also you can have few ornamental plants (really good market price).

A friend made a nursery in the backyard with a few Mahogany trees, after 1.5 years when he finally sold it out, he makes a good money! As old it becomes more money is expected, but don't leave to grow more than 2 years, 'cause it can become a problem to transport out of your place.

Actually does anybody here are in the nursery business in central (Low N) Thailand?

Cheers!

I planted trees 3 years ago, should I cut or not, its a heartbreaking decision. Due to everyone jumping onto the rubber estate business, cassava prices has gone up.

We could only tell you what we'd do, not what to do IMO. Question would be what else would grow? Where I live we have the rain for palm oil but the lands too steep.

Thats interesting mosha . U said the land there was too steep for palm oil . I didnt know it mattered . I thought you could grow yang yang and palmoil on the same type of land .

I think it's the weight and root type. It's quite rocky and top soil isn't very deep from what I've seen.

Thaiguzzi what type of pump do they use to irrigate out of the mekong . It would be amazing to see .

Dunno.

But rainfall is higher in all the provinces that have the river as a border, and soil is considerably higher quality. Lots of tomatoes, potatoes and tobacco grown in these areas, all within 5 kms of the river. Tomatoes are sold bulk by contract to the ketchup manufacturers.

• Like 1

OK guys I have a plea for info from a friend. His trees are getting attacked by small snails. They are eating into the bark and then the latex seeps out and is hard to stop. How can he get rid of them?

Just sold cup rubber here in Suwannakuha amphoe, 24 THB/ KILO. If it goes down much more, it will be not worth the work any more...

That's what we've had the last 3 sales just North of you in Ranong.

OK guys I have a plea for info from a friend. His trees are getting attacked by small snails. They are eating into the bark and then the latex seeps out and is hard to stop. How can he get rid of them?

Cook them in a light butter-garlic sauce.

We have had them before. Our guys usually just picks them off one by one and kills them. They do sell poison for them though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bangkok post today

Rubber producers eye own tyre factory B3bn proposal to be floated to growers Published: 18 Aug 2014 at 15.12 | Viewed: 1,463 | Comments: 0Online news: Writer: Online Reporters The Rubber Growers Cooperative...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/427402/b3bn-proposal-to-be-floated-to-growers. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

• Like 1

# There are already commercial brand name tyre / tire manufacturer's factories here. Dunno how another one will help.

# Well it must be finally happening up here too - people cutting down their trees. Never in 11 years here have i seen cut rubber timber/lumber on trucks. Yesterday saw a full artic trailer unit full of 3m sawn lengths of youngish rubber trees, guestimate 5-8 year old trees. Today saw another truck full of mature 3m sawn lengths age approx 20-30 years old. Great news if people see this and say "i'll have some of that too", Thais are great copy-cats, maybe more will start chopping down trees.

• Like 1

I had this problem with Papaya a few years ago, short of kicking the trunks to shake them loose, and the fruit at times, they were burrowing into the ripening fruit, the solution i came up with was buying some 1 kilo tins of red water pump grease and painting it round the trunk base, it took a long time to do 1200 odd plants but it worked, the snails couldnt grip on a slippery surface, and the grease never hurt the trees,

Reading the recent posts im glad i didnt get into rubber, but it seems the mrs wants to get into a consortium for selling young rubber plants, ive warned her against it and shown her the posts on here, also other sites where synthetic rubber is now being used a lot in tyres, but on the other hand if oil resources go down over the years needed for making synthetic rubber, natural rubber will be needed again,

Any views on this dilema appreciated, thanks,,

• Like 2

Well just got back from Thailand and seen our 1st season. We're averaging 25 sheets a day and with higher yields and more trees that should be 50+ by next year. I never started this to be a millionaire just have a regular income, the prices now are the same as when we decided to start the trees 9yrs ago so at the minute i'm not too dispondent just depends how low they go.

Good Morning All,

Its been a while since my last post. However, I've still been regularly following the thread.

What I've come to observe is many people are not pleased with the price that we are receiving per kg of rubber. We sold last Friday at local auction 26.40 Baht.

I did some math and calculated that with current pricing we are roughly making 650 baht per month per rai. This price is AFTER 60/40 split and AFTER cost of chemicals etc.

Assume 9 months of cutting per year, this works out to be 5850 per rai per year PROFIT.

Assume that land with mature rubber trees is worth 120 000 Baht per rai.

Your rubber investment is making 4.80% interest (tax free) per annum.

At current rubber prices you're still making more than one would back home with the money sitting in the bank. Furthermore, most of us paid a lot less than 120 000 per rai at the begining.

Just some food for thought. With that said, I still yearn for the good olds days when cup rubber was fetching 4 times what it is now.

Cheers,

J

9,months of cutting? I wish. Leaf change lose 6 weeks, rain lose 4 months or more. 130 days tapping more like.

Family aka you can't fix stupid. I think I mentioned the wife's nephew is in serious trouble. At best sexual assault at worst rape. Well my MIL decided to sell her trees to get him off. She needed to raise 300K. Her husband (Not wife's father thankfully) and son, the boys father decided they would sell too. Not to help my MIL but to help there Mia Nois. My wife's half sister refused to take part in the stupidity. So now she is the only one who has an income. The others want to sell the land now because the have no money. Talk about disfunctional. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Hey Mosha your post resembles about 2 seasons worth of Larcorn. :)

Every family has its fair share of craziness , I'm sure there is a forum fulk of such stories already. It sure does make you laugh and also worry a little bit of how its going to affect you or get dragged into it . Cheers for the chuckle.

The Thais don't seem to look to far forward in life to see the full outcome of their actions.

If they invented the time machine I'm sure they wouldn't travel more than a week into the future.

Edited by fezzy
  • Like 2

reported today in the nation.

"The NCPO yesterday also gave the green light to a Bt5.94-billion fund to deal with problems related to the drop in rubber prices.

This fund will cover a 10-year period, with the first lot of Bt977 million earmarked for spending this year. The NCPO also approved three measures aimed at maintaining the standard of locally produced rubber in order to tackle the price problem in the long run."