Rubber Trees

Sorry if this has been discussed a few time. I need some advice. Grandparents of GF near Chumphon have a rubber tree plantation.

The trees not ready to be tapped yet (5 years old). Also no one from the family can cut them (only GP and one daughter) so labor would be necessary.

So now to my question, what to do with the trees?

Waiting to be tapped, remove them now, planting something else?

How many rai do you have? If only 10 ,you wont keep a worker, if 20 rai ,1st year will be split 50 50. 60 % for you and 40% for the worker after that. . Pui /fertilizer will be split the same. They cut the grass . If its mountain,dont push them too hard to cut the grass its a very hard job on a mountain compared to flat land. Dont pull the trees out now, theyll be worth no thing.. Chumpon will be split the same as here in bangsaphan. Is it mountain or fairly flat? Mountain will be a bit less flow if not a lot of rain. However this may not effect you in chumpon as you have a brilliant rainfall, all year almost. Get your gf to ask around for myanmar workers. Dont open if the trees are less than 50 or 70 cm diameter at about 4 feet up the tree from ground. Youll get much better flow if you wait till 60 to 70 cm in diameter. Ive seen trees opened too small and it knocks them around a lot. Be sure the worker u get has experience . They can butcher your trees just practicing. Be sure to talk to a fertilizer sales person. They will give you a good fertilizer,at a fair price. Dont buy 1000 bart bags of pui as it defeats the purpose of making a proffit. If your yang is on a mountain be sure to dig a small hole to put the pui in so rain doesnt wash it all away. An experienced Myanmar worker will know what to do. Even though the price is very low,yang is still good passive income.

Cheers Cobbler

Edited by cobbler
  • Like 1

How many rai do you have? If only 10 ,you wont keep a worker, if 20 rai ,1st year will be split 50 50. 60 % for you and 40% for the worker after that. . Pui /fertilizer will be split the same. They cut the grass . If its mountain,dont push them too hard to cut the grass its a very hard job on a mountain compared to flat land. Dont pull the trees out now, theyll be worth no thing.. Chumpon will be split the same as here in bangsaphan. Is it mountain or fairly flat? Mountain will be a bit less flow if not a lot of rain. However this may not effect you in chumpon as you have a brilliant rainfall, all year almost. Get your gf to ask around for myanmar workers. Dont open if the trees are less than 50 or 70 cm diameter at about 4 feet up the tree from ground. Youll get much better flow if you wait till 60 to 70 cm in diameter. Ive seen trees opened too small and it knocks them around a lot. Be sure the worker u get has experience . They can butcher your trees just practicing. Be sure to talk to a fertilizer sales person. They will give you a good fertilizer,at a fair price. Dont buy 1000 bart bags of pui as it defeats the purpose of making a proffit. If your yang is on a mountain be sure to dig a small hole to put the pui in so rain doesnt wash it all away. An experienced Myanmar worker will know what to do. Even though the price is very low,yang is still good passive income.

Cheers Cobbler

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the number of trees/rai. By the way it's in Bang Saphan district as well [emoji6]

On one of my rare forays into the village yesterday. All afternoon, and then sitting round the campfire in the evening with a couple of boxes of Chang. Among various topics, banter was of 13 baht per kg for cup on the gate, and 1200 baht per tonne for lumber......

• Like 2

Anyone switching to palm in the South? I have 28 Rai Palm in Krabi and want to sell. Full Chanote flat land, klong bordering the land, productive palm trees and given pui on a regular basis. Just sayin'...

ki pi,ki bart? Crrrrap

Anyone switching to palm in the South? I have 28 Rai Palm in Krabi and want to sell. Full Chanote flat land, klong bordering the land, productive palm trees and given pui on a regular basis. Just sayin'...

ki pi,ki bart? Crrrrap

Hi, Cobbler, sipsam pi, si sen Baht.

ki pi,ki bart? Crrrrap

555 for the lot? Edited by cobbler

ki pi,ki bart? Crrrrap

555 for the lot?

Yes, for the lot, it's si sen per Rai, slightly negotiable ;-)

• Like 1

Good luck with that Charlie1. Get great rain down that way. Wats palm oil per kilo now. I know its up and down too but just wondering? Love palm oil farms they look awsom.

What are you doing next?

Cheers Cobbler

Hi Cobbler, palm prices are ok. I've recorded the price we've been selling since 2012 (See attached file).

The reason we're selling is that we need the money for a resort project we want to build.

Cheers!

PalmPrices.pdf

• Like 1

Additionally, a very big advantage of palm is that you don't have to deal with workers all the time. We have a nice neighbor who comes in the plantation every 20 days and cuts down the fruit bunches for a fixed percentage and that's it. No getting up in the night and all that, just cashing in every 20 days,give pui 3 times a year and sometimes cut the weeds.

Yes we follow palm prices . My wifes family has palm and yang. Allways thought its a good idea , mixed farming.

What are you doing a resort in. Sounds like a good plan.

Cheers Cobbler

We want to build an extension to an existing new resort that is very successful and has a very good location.

I've calculated that we will make a lot more money with the resort (as long as tourists keep on flockin' in...

Charlie 1, I have a question about palm, does it like wet feet, we have some land that during dry season is dry as a bone,that can be looked after, but during rainy season the land gets quite soggy, not as easy to fix.

Having wet feet is fine, as long as it doesn't last for more than a couple of weeks. I've made the experience that the soil type is very important. People here say that former rice paddies don't fit at all, sandy bottom isn't good for palm. Better have the red clay.

A palm tree needs a lot of water, at least in the wet season. I've read that one tree sucks up 200 liters per day. Can't tell you how much the tree evaporates though.

Last year, between January 1st and May 15th., we had rain on 3 days only and that seems to be no problem for the trees.

Good luck with that Charlie1. Get great rain down that way. Wats palm oil per kilo now. I know its up and down too but just wondering? Love palm oil farms they look awsom.

What are you doing next?

Cheers Cobbler

Hi Cobbler, palm prices are ok. I've recorded the price we've been selling since 2012 (See attached file).

The reason we're selling is that we need the money for a resort project we want to build.

Cheers!

talking of palm........ what are you getting average per rai for the last year then? how old the palm?

on the rubber - cutters sold the other day not got the bill yet, not expecting much....... saw the lady of the team today and said in my best issan don't bother with the trees the money is toooo small, just a smile and its ok............. the "boss" my wife thinks the same, just leave the tree for the forseeable........ what you guys recon the price will go to in the coming year........... im not a betting man but I would think sub 10 baht is on the cards, not good data floating about at the present.....

all the best to you rubber farmers.......

Thanks, maybe my wife should put palm on her land, she has tried cassava and cane, but neither one was very successful.

its very hot in your area in dry season. Be aware of the massive amounts of water that will be needed. This will cost money,a lot. Its ok in the south,they get rain all year round .

Cheers cobbler

• Like 1