Rubber Trees

Passed some guys yesterday, watering their palm oil trees from drums of water.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

im surprised to hear that. I thought there was always a lot of rain in your area.

Palm (oil) trees need the minimum of 1.2 m of rainfall a year. They also are not to planted above 150 m sea level.

We normally get over 4 metres of rain.

• Like 2

It often rains and one has to let trees dry out otherwise the rubber flows on the trunk instead of getting into the cup, what a pleasant activity indeed.

It often rains and one has to let trees dry out otherwise the rubber flows on the trunk instead of getting into the cup, what a pleasant activity indeed.

You can tear the bark if it's too wet. We are getting the edge of the Indian Ocean cyclone. Still we needed it. Stream behind the house was almost bone dry.

I appreciate where you guys are coming from and I understand that you are both not tapping for rubber as yet but soon will be. Tthere are some misconceptions that you are working too.

and these are..................?

I appreciate where you guys are coming from and I understand that you are both not tapping for rubber as yet but soon will be. Tthere are some misconceptions that you are working too.

What do you mean by that???sad.png

My guess is that we will shortly be seeing a link to some sort of rain shield contraption.

Nice word this "misconception" bit. Still wandering what this misconception "we" are working to. I think there is a misci=onception here, that we care about an opnionless opinion.crying.gif

• Like 1

The big danger with tapping while bark is wet is bacteria can and does form on the tree. When this happens it can be spread to other trees via the knife. This bacteria really damages the tree and yang will stop flowing and then tree will become non productive. Tree then needs to be rested for a long period of time.maybe 1 season. Worst case senario is the tree will never be productive again. So beware of this.

Cheers Cobbler

• Like 2

The big danger with tapping while bark is wet is bacteria can and does form on the tree. When this happens it can be spread to other trees via the knife. This bacteria really damages the tree and yang will stop flowing and then tree will become non productive. Tree then needs to be rested for a long period of time.maybe 1 season. Worst case senario is the tree will never be productive again. So beware of this.

Cheers Cobbler

Thanks for that Cobbler, I wasn't aware of that danger, I'll ask my wife whether she knows about that bacteria. BTW, does it have a name?

Well cobbler, I spoke to my wife. She knows about it. Her mother has got several trees which do not produce anymore. I suggested to use the flame of a lighter to sterilize knifes before tapping the next tree for so far it's raining.

Well cobbler, I spoke to my wife. She knows about it. Her mother has got several trees which do not produce anymore. I suggested to use the flame of a lighter to sterilize knifes before tapping the next tree for so far it's raining.

number 1 rule is dont tap if bark is wet. If you do, You will have problems. Its a real gamble mate. I do understand ,money is the bottom line though. All i can say is i dont know anybody who does tap wet trees as its just not worth the risk.

Ive seen tappers carry 3 or so knives to be sure they dont use the contaminated knife on other trees. Another way is to have a rag with metho on it or something like that to sterilize the knife after tapping infected tree or trees. This is quick and effective.

Best of luck with it. Cheers Cobbler

• Like 1

Sacked our tapper yesterday, he hasn't been tapping the trees on the top of the hill. He'd rather go do building jobs. Wife doesn't want another Burmese, so he is staying, and paying rent/electric.

He is Mon, wife just doesn't want to go through all the paperwork crap. It's a about a 90km round trip to the labour office. It's about 16 or 17 rai. Wife went up this morning, he was only doing 2 rows. A friend has taken over, 50/50 costs shared, and she cuts the grass. Been up already, ya kang young smoking from her belt 555.

Edited by Mosha

5555 ok . For sure your mrs knows whats best. Good to see you still going well. Cant beat the old smoking belt eh. Keeps the yoong or yuung away, maybe a few vin yan as well.555

Cheers Cobbler

• Like 1

Sold at auction yesterday, Udon province, cup @ 27.05 baht per kg.

First sale in a month, only our second this season.

Earlier it was too hot and the land too dry affecting output, latetely it's been too wet to tap regularly.

Very low in punters and output at the auction, about half from previous year.

• Like 1