Yingluck Is Thaksin's Big Bet

webfact

ANALYSIS

Yingluck is Thaksin's big bet

By TULSATHIT TAPTIM

THE NATION

30155087-01.jpg

Abhisit dares Pheu Thai to reveal its prime ministerial candidate while opposition gives hints that it's going to be ex-PM's sister

Yingluck Shinawatra remained an elusive woman yesterday, and it must have had something to do with fears she could become a political sitting duck. According to sources, plans were being made to help the young, beautiful and successful sister of Thaksin Shinawatra cope with the baptism of fire if she was to enter politics and be the Pheu Thai Party's prime ministerial candidate.

Reports coming out of Pheu Thai over the past two days seemed to confirm that she is poised to become Thailand's first female challenger for the top office. What was holding back an official announcement was, allegedly, an arrangement for her to first get the blessing from party veterans, some of whom would otherwise be upset by being leapfrogged by the young lady.

Pheu Thai has apparently managed to convince Mingkwan Saengsuwan to stay, although he would not be the first name on its party list. Snoh Thienthong has been in the process of joining the party and helping put Pheu Thai's powerful but unorganised northeastern fortress in order. The two men are among those whose support Yingluck would need, or Thaksin's high-stake gamble would be even riskier.

There were reports that party executives had decided on Monday to put her at the top of the party list. Speculation intensified yesterday after old-timer Chawarin Lattasaksiri told reporters Thais should prepare for a life with a female prime minister. The remark prompted an angry reaction - but not denial - from some senior Pheu Thai figures, who reprimanded Chawarin for behaving "improperly".

Party leader Yongyuth Wichaidit said "everything will become clear" within this week, adding that he would himself announce the name of the top party-list candidate. That, however, is not a surprising or stunning promise, as Pheu Thai will have to register its party-list candidates with the Election Commission next week, anyway.

Yingluck could be a double-edged sword for Pheu Thai. As an attractive and successful young woman, she would sex up its campaign and blunt the Democrats' advantage of having the Oxford-graduate, handsome Abhisit as the title-holder. As Thaksin's sister, she will be seen as his nominee, representing his desperate, last-ditch effort to grab back power.

Thaksin will not only be throwing his darling sister into the political fray, but also adding new risks to what remains of his business empire in Thailand. Yingluck will have to relinquish, or appear to relinquish, her business connections if she is to become a politician. For someone with a vast and long-time business history, that's not an easy thing to do, as Thaksin himself can testify.

The Democrats must have been sniffing around already. To give her a glimpse of what lies ahead, one of the MPs - Boonyod Sukthinthai - took a jab at her personal life. With a woman, that can be perceived as chauvinistic and can backfire, but Thaksin's political rivals will not stop at that, and business transactions or stock movements will certainly be their real targets.

Knowing Thaksin's reluctance, Abhisit yesterday challenged Pheu Thai to unveil its prime ministerial contender. "The Thai people have the right to know who are volunteering to serve them," said the Democrat leader, reminding Thaksin of his pledge to reveal Pheu Thai's No 1 party-list candidate once the House of Representatives has been dissolved.

As with all big gambles, the stakes will be laid down at the last minute. Thaksin cannot lose this election, so it must be "all in". The only problem is Yingluck is not a chip that can be retrieved when a lucrative gold or diamond mine is harvested. Laying her down will give new meaning to "family business", and family business was where it all began.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-11

Related topic:

Thaksin's Sister Yingluck Declares Her Pheu Thai Candidacy

Oh well, Thaksin was willing to divorce his long standing suffering wife to pursue a political comeback, why not throw a sister to the lions eh!

I'm sure Abhisit could give her some sound advice on what's she going to have to face on the streets of Bangkok when her brother decides to fly home in November to commence his war on drugs. (mind you; in the world of drugs, alot can be run from a third world jail :whistling: )

Oh well, Thaksin was willing to divorce his long standing suffering wife to pursue a political comeback, why not throw a sister to the lions eh!

I'm sure Abhisit could give her some sound advice on what's she going to have to face on the streets of Bangkok when her brother decides to fly home in November to commence his war on drugs. (mind you; in the world of drugs, alot can be run from a third world jail :whistling: )

He won't be commencing his war on drugs in November. When he lands everyone will stop trading, so there won't be anything for him to do.

Now might be a good time to apply to be her butler or chauffeur. If picked, open a few bank accounts and get an open ticket for an outbound flight.

It will be interesting to see whether the opposing political parties will be smart and brave enough to dig some dirt on her past endeavors - shady business dealing, tax avoidance, shuffling assets to and fro, etc. ......or whether the Dems will figure, "well, she's an attractive looking woman, and we don't want to offend anyone, so perhaps we should continue to be wishy washy and ineffective."

She's got platform shoes, but does she have a political platform?

She's been good to the skin whitening lotion industry, but will she choose to grease the carte blanche to Thailand's richest (such as continuing to allow them to pay no taxes on their vast property holdings).

Edited by pomeloseed

Yingluck Shinawatra remained an elusive woman yesterday, and it must have had something to do with fears she could become a political sitting duck.

No it was because I was giving her all 3 inches of sweet love.

Yingluck Shinawatra remained an elusive woman yesterday, and it must have had something to do with fears she could become a political sitting duck.

Well when you grow another 3 inches, maybe she'll come back for more? ermm.giflaugh.gif

interesting setting. I think she has a good chance of winning the polls, if any. Even little is known about her, she must be quite intelligent and determined.

- It's more difficult to overthrow a woman PM too (coup)

smart move so far ...

Edited by elcent

I thought you might put your loathing of the Shinawatra clan to one side for a minute and step in as a stunt cock to help me out ani mate. :D

You'll need to provide a experienced fluffer with a extensible mandible.

laugh.gif

Well when you grow another 3 inches, maybe she'll come back for more? ermm.giflaugh.gif

Great, Thai Visa's very own version of Penthouse Forum.

Wanna bet that your posting will be taken literally by some of TVF's members, particularly those with a fetish for stubbies and your inbox will be filled with suggestive commens,

Great, Thai Visa's very own version of Penthouse Forum.

Wanna bet that your posting will be taken literally by some of TVF's members, particularly those with a fetish for stubbies and your inbox will be filled with suggestive commens,

He left an opening so wide it could not be ignored!

If Yinglak really steps into the public arena she will have to declare the details of the shares held by her 9 year old son by Anuson Omrajat, the chairman of the board of M-Link Asia.

As with Sudarat, another 'lady' close to Thaksin', she has never bothered to register her 'union'.

You guys don't really think Thai men are enlightened enough to vote for a woman PM. I think this just lost PTP a few seats.

I would have thought the same at one stage, but i fear the good folk up north would vote for a buffalo if it was waving a red flag

Now theres an epiphany i hadnt thought of..buffalos are attracted to all things red :D

You guys don't really think Thai men are enlightened enough to vote for a woman PM. I think this just lost PTP a few seats.

I would have thought the same at one stage, but i fear the good folk up north would vote for a buffalo if it was waving a red flag

Now theres an epiphany i hadnt thought of..buffalos are attracted to all things red :D

So David Carradine would be the perfect PTP candidate?

Quai Dang Kane.

jap.gif

So David Carradine would be the perfect PTP candidate?

Quai Dang Kane.

jap.gif

If Yinglak really steps into the public arena she will have to declare the details of the shares held by her 9 year old son by Anuson Omrajat, the chairman of the board of M-Link Asia.

As with Sudarat, another 'lady' close to Thaksin', she has never bothered to register her 'union'.

potentially the first Thailand's First Gentleman?

anusorn.jpg

:D

Sticking your nose in places it shouldn't go, are you?

Returning this thread to tgract.. M.s Yingluck will be a great PM... She is certainly nicer that Sara Palen...

I have no doubt she is more competent than Sarah Palin too, but that wouldn't be hard.

Niether is a resounding choice to lead a nation.