Driving Thai Car To Cambodia

alesypalsy

I will soon be living in los and am wondering if anyone has ever driven their own car/pick up over to cambodia, if so any problems or is it just like driving from UK to France for instance, even before the EU it was easy enough, I would like to go over to bodia for a few visits but would much rather drive my own car, also what about malaysia and laos? any one got any clues on te situation with going away for a month or so with car.

Thanks in advance.

as I am an addicted traveller and owning an old used car since yesterday, this topic is of interest for me too..... but I wouldnt know which keywords to type in to get some satisfactory results in the SEARCH FUNCTION, so maybe somebody can update the older informations right here....

as I am an addicted traveller and owning an old used car since yesterday, this topic is of interest for me too..... but I wouldnt know which keywords to type in to get some satisfactory results in the SEARCH FUNCTION, so maybe somebody can update the older informations right here....

This link was one I posted...there are quite a few but I have yet to get a reply from someone who has actually done it...

I want to do it somtime in my pickup (4wd)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22463&hl=

This link was one I posted...there are quite a few but I have yet to get a reply from someone who has actually done it...

I checked that out wilko, I see what you mean, it is just contradicting info, It would be nice if some one who has done it or regulally does it to give a reply but alas it does not look likely, Maybe a trip to the cambodian embassy would be the place to look,

I am not yet in LOS but intend to drive down to sukumville or how ever you spell it in my own 4x4 also, I realy cannot see there being a problem, I also do not intend greasing palms to get there if obeying the laws of the land. If you do get over there please let me know how you get on.

Regards

I checked that out wilko, I see what you mean, it is just contradicting info, It would be nice if some one who has done it or regulally does it to give a reply but alas it does not look likely, Maybe a trip to the cambodian embassy would be the place to look,

I am not yet in LOS but intend to drive down to sukumville or how ever you spell it in my own 4x4 also, I realy cannot see there being a problem, I also do not intend greasing palms to get there if obeying the laws of the land.  If you do get over there please let me know how you get on.

Regards

Here's some theory...

According to I think it's the ASEAN treaty vehicles are supposed to be allowed from one country to another within that group. So it's legal.

Next problem is that on arrival I'm told that the Cambodian side only issues a permit for the immediate region - true/false?

Then - insurance? - well I think you have to buy some form of cover from the

Cambodians, I've not even asked my Thai company if they can cover me in Cambodia.

Coming back into Thailand I'm told takes the longest, paperwork etc.

what kind of driving licence will they accept?

The roads in Cambodia are iffy so you are best off with 4WD, although as far as I can make out the road to Ankhor Wat (Siam Reap) is getting better all the time - (has it survived the rainy season?)

When I stayed at Siam Reap, I noticed plenty of hotels with places to leave the car overnight in relative saftey.

(A/W is less than 200 km from the the Thai border)

I would love to drive around the temples of Ankhor in my own car - I'm told that private vehicles are allowed. - a visitor 3 day pass is $60 so the car will no doubt cost extra.

In a recent posting

- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...423&hl=cambodia -

Jai Dee did sound as if he/she was about to do the trip so maybe if they read this they will be able to tell us how they got on.....

Edited by wilko