Shipping Personal Stuff

Hi all,

I've some questions regarding moving (for work) to Thailand:

Which shipping companies are trustworthy when it comes to shipping personal stuff?

And do they have a website or so which has info on costs, max. weight, etc etc?

It has to go from anywhere in Holland to Chang Mai.

Thanks in advance!

My first question is doesn't your company provide relocation service? Are they paying?

Otherwise pick a good one in Holland, they will have an affiliate in Thailand that will handle this end.

You will need to get the permission to stay extension and work permit before you can get the duty free import of your stuff.

TH

You will need to get the permission to stay extension and work permit before you can get the duty free import of your stuff.

TH

You mention a work permit. I have been here a while but wouldn't mind shipping some stuff here (about 1/2 a small container) but don't have a work permit, only a Non-Immigrant O visa (marriage).

Also - any preferences for container companies?

As reflected in the web link in Post #4, you are probably going to be hit with some healthy customs charges, possibly in the area of 37% (30% import duty plus 7% VAT) of the Thai Customs "determined" value of the shipping. They will look are your declared valve, but it they don't believe the declared valve Thai Customs determines a value. Recommend you ship as little as possible (heirlooms, pictures, etc) and just buy new stuff over here, since shipping and customs costs can be high. Plus, you will then have new stuff versus old stuff.

Came across this by chance. Here's my bit FWIW.

Bring as little as possible. Sell and give away everything.

Just re-evaluate what you REALLY need and get rid of the rest. And then repeat the process.

If there is something that you just can't get rid of, then put it in a friend's attic for a few years. I did this and then went back over seven years later and looked at what there was. And wondered, why on earth did I keep this? It all went in the bin, except for a few odds and sods like Grandad's first world war medals. And all that I simply dumped on nephews and nieces. Good riddance, don't need that cluttering up my existence.

New country, new life, new aims; don't need the past.