Where To Buy Grass Fed Beef And Get Beef Tallow

kedrosjohn

Advice you didn't ask for, but the only ideas I can contribute at this point:

In Thailand the thing to do would be to take advantage of all the fish they've got. There's plenty of dried fish to be had at all the local day markets, usually dried together in a circle (pemmican style) or smoked and dried together on a stick. Lightweight, and no preparation necessary. Question is, will you find it palatable ?!

And then don't forget about nature's bounty of grubs and insects in this country. Protein's all around you all the time.

As survival training goes, if you want to simulate surviving here, go live among some mountain people (Chao Kao) or even your run-of-the-mill country people (khon baan-nohk) for a couple weeks and you'll see just how much of a nature's Tesco Lotus the wilds of Thailand are. It'd almost take some work to go hungry. This is serious advice actually, as local knowledge and ways with animals, plants and water will show you how to think about and acquire food in ways you never thought of. The country folk have some serious know-how. I have total respect for their knowledge(though I do despair their record for preserving natural resources overall). It's bamboo shoot season right now, btw, and foraging for and hauling back sacks of fresh forearm-sized shoots is some of the most fun and hardest work I've ever had/done in Thailand.

y do you want grass fed?

more to the point, what else to cows eat? i thought they were natures lawn mowers.

Australian Beef seem to be the most available at tesco and Rimping. most probably spinifex fed brahmans from the north, they are the most exported.

from the more southern parts, the angus and wagyus taste better as a steak, but are alot more fatty, so not as good for dehydrating.

either way, for dehydrating (i've made a bit of jerky in the past), go the leaner cuts over the tender cuts ie. topside/silverside with the fat cut off and are cheaper. the fat tastes like crap.

OT

soy, tomato sauce, worstecier sauce, cracked peper, fresh onion, fresh garlic, fresh chilli, mustard powder, english mustard (and what ever else you find in the cupboard, just nothing with oil/fat/sugar in it) and sea salt to preserve it all into the food processor until it is a puree. cut the beef against the grain, not with it into strips removing the fat. marinate for 12 hours in the fridge then into the dehydrator for 8-12 hours.

yum yum.

/OT

If you go to local thai markets, the beef/water buffalo will be grass fed. which is why it costs a lot less. it can be pretty tough, but for your purposes that shouldn't be a problem. As for tallow, Western Wholesale Meats sells beef dripping which is more or less tallow but better tasting. Since it's a wholesale operation, I'm not sure if you plan on ordering enough for them to ship. I don't know what their minimum order size is. If you are interested, I can PM you contact info.

If just occurred to me that you could also make your own tallow. It's very easy to do. Just get some beef fat. Norther Farms sells it for about 10 baht per kilo. Render it and drain off the melted fat.If you want to get rid of any meaty bits, put the rendered beef in water and boil for a few minutes. Stir occasionally. Not sure if all the fat would come from grass fed beef, though. The same caution applies to my previous post.

If just occurred to me that you could also make your own tallow. It's very easy to do. Just get some beef fat. Norther Farms sells it for about 10 baht per kilo. Render it and drain off the melted fat.If you want to get rid of any meaty bits, put the rendered beef in water and boil for a few minutes. Stir occasionally. Not sure if all the fat would come from grass fed beef, though. The same caution applies to my previous post.

and be sure to skim the scum to remove the impurities

Great meat at Pon Yang Kham Chiang Mai, not sure how it's raised but they will, many varieties of cuts (flank, skirt ....) that they will bring out for you to select and show how you want it butchered which you can watch from the windows into clean shop. It's on canal rd right after Huay Keaw Rd (take a left coming from town and u-turn and it will be on your right before the intersection).

Advice you didn't ask for, but the only ideas I can contribute at this point:

In Thailand the thing to do would be to take advantage of all the fish they've got. There's plenty of dried fish to be had at all the local day markets, usually dried together in a circle (pemmican style) or smoked and dried together on a stick. Lightweight, and no preparation necessary. Question is, will you find it palatable ?!

And then don't forget about nature's bounty of grubs and insects in this country. Protein's all around you all the time.

As survival training goes, if you want to simulate surviving here, go live among some mountain people (Chao Kao) or even your run-of-the-mill country people (khon baan-nohk) for a couple weeks and you'll see just how much of a nature's Tesco Lotus the wilds of Thailand are. It'd almost take some work to go hungry. This is serious advice actually, as local knowledge and ways with animals, plants and water will show you how to think about and acquire food in ways you never thought of. The country folk have some serious know-how. I have total respect for their knowledge(though I do despair their record for preserving natural resources overall). It's bamboo shoot season right now, btw, and foraging for and hauling back sacks of fresh forearm-sized shoots is some of the most fun and hardest work I've ever had/done in Thailand.

Don't you sometimes miss your Mom's beef brisket??

• 3 months later...

and be sure to skim the scum to remove the impurities

Sounds like a night out on Loi Kroh ;-)

Great meat at Pon Yang Kham Chiang Mai, not sure how it's raised but they will, many varieties of cuts (flank, skirt ....) that they will bring out for you to select and show how you want it butchered which you can watch from the windows into clean shop. It's on canal rd right after Huay Keaw Rd (take a left coming from town and u-turn and it will be on your right before the intersection).

Any chance of a map to show hoe to get there?

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...