True 100Mbps Fiber

seriouseats

let's not forget that that the speed is determined by the connection to the server, and 80% of the internet is in North America and Europe.

When i had 7mbps, i always had 100% of speed and i only browse American sites. i have no doubt that true will deliver at least 15-50mbps internationally to good servers. Unfortunately i am moving soon so i cant sign up, but as soon as i move in my next house i will order the 100mbps

let's not forget that that the speed is determined by the connection to the server, and 80% of the internet is in North America and Europe.

When i had 7mbps, i always had 100% of speed and i only browse American sites. i have no doubt that true will deliver at least 15-50mbps internationally to good servers. Unfortunately i am moving soon so i cant sign up, but as soon as i move in my next house i will order the 100mbps

Maybe these sites were cached by the ISP.

Speed is really relevant for videos (can be cached) and file downloads (rarely cached, except the classics).

Maybe these sites were cached by the ISP.

Speed is really relevant for videos (can be cached) and file downloads (rarely cached, except the classics).

Yes most definitely my torrents and my paid subscription videos are all cached.

Of course if you're main hobbies is reading fisher's digest or whatever other small community website, it'S going to be slow because they cant afford a decent server. Most thais dont browse anything outside of thai websites, the international links are wide open.

Just FYI it's cable not fibre optic. I got the 20Mb package this week (1299 p.m.). Ordered last Friday, they called on the Saturday to sign docs, install appointment was sent via SMS for the following Monday, but they called on Sunday to say the engineer was about so he came and installed it then. Actually surprised by the whole sign-up process.

I get fairly consistent 19Mb to US servers, with 1.4Mb upload to US. Streaming 1080p is smooth, although I have a feeling they are doing some traffic shaping to inhibit torrents. Only tried once, and the private torrent (well seeded from private boxes) I tried came down at about 1MB.

The biggest improvement is in the lack of packet loss. I was using a CAT 10MB cable connection from one of the local cable cos, and balancing it with CDMA and the packet loss was painful. Now just using True, with CDMA now on backup failover.

One thing to note - they supply a shitty Motorola modem (not a router) so it only has one port. You can order a WIFI router for 1000 Baht extra. I have a decent load balancing router so doesn't bother me.

Overall I'd say if you can get this in you won't regret it. Best connection I've had since coming here.

Just FYI it's cable not fibre optic. I got the 20Mb package this week (1299 p.m.). Ordered last Friday, they called on the Saturday to sign docs, install appointment was sent via SMS for the following Monday, but they called on Sunday to say the engineer was about so he came and installed it then. Actually surprised by the whole sign-up process.

I get fairly consistent 19Mb to US servers, with 1.4Mb upload to US. Streaming 1080p is smooth, although I have a feeling they are doing some traffic shaping to inhibit torrents. Only tried once, and the private torrent (well seeded from private boxes) I tried came down at about 1MB.

The biggest improvement is in the lack of packet loss. I was using a CAT 10MB cable connection from one of the local cable cos, and balancing it with CDMA and the packet loss was painful. Now just using True, with CDMA now on backup failover.

One thing to note - they supply a shitty Motorola modem (not a router) so it only has one port. You can order a WIFI router for 1000 Baht extra. I have a decent load balancing router so doesn't bother me.

Overall I'd say if you can get this in you won't regret it. Best connection I've had since coming here.

Just ordered the same 20mb package with wireless router. It's only a few baht more than the TOT 8MB I had before where I was lucky to get 2mb most of the time, plus the line is prone to going down for a couple of minutes at a time, several times a day, which is very annoying. If I get 1mb for torrent downloads I'll be more than happy.

Don't understand the technical jargon, I'm afraid, but if Woody states it's the best on the island then I believe it. I'll soon report back if it isn't.

I contacted True and Kata is going to be ready within the next 2 to 3 months and 100Mbps will be offered.

I won't hold my breath.

We're seeing very good international download speeds on the True 20 Mbps line. (See www.phuketinternetspeed.com - mods please note the display ad link for ThaiVisa on the right side. You're welcome.)

The one problem we're seeing on these new True lines is reliability. At first the lines were bobbing up and down several times a day. Now it seems much more stable - but it isn't 100%.

I don't know what technology they're using. Generally anything more than 12 to 15 Mbps requires something other than ADSL. One thread posted here earlier said that any True "Ultra Hi Speed" package over 25 Mbps is VDSL2 - and that's entirely possible. It also isn't clear to me if the cable coming into the router is coax or twisted pair. If one of you with the lousy Motorola modem could post the model number, we can nail that down.

The True 20 Mbps package, when it works, is considerably faster than the TOT Fiber packages, at least among those folks posting their speeds on the speed site. That's quite remarkable because the True 20 Mbps package is B 1,299 per month, while the TOT Fiber to the Home package is five times the price.

I'll be writing this up for the Phuket Gazette when I have at least one more person reporting their True 20 Mbps speeds. Probably later this month. Watch my Live Wire columns, both in print and online at www.phuketgazette.net , for a follow-up.

Edited by woodyleonhard

seeing it goes up to 100mbps i doubt it's VDSL.

From what i can see up the pole(right next to my window) it's fiber(duh) and probably a cable-like technology in every moobaan, sharing the fiberlink.

I doubt most thais download abnd upload as much as us westerners, so im not worried about sharing fiber with them.

The only word i can read on the paper is 'coaxial'

was just talking to the guy from true shop in kathu... he told me they can only provide true internet in patong, few areas of kathu..he said chalong/rawai cannot but i had the feeling he has no clue really... anyway little confused now! is it fiber or "just" adsl (10 or 20 MB) which can be applied for in phuket??

From what i can see up the pole(right next to my window) it's fiber(duh) and probably a cable-like technology in every moobaan, sharing the fiberlink.

I doubt most thais download abnd upload as much as us westerners, so im not worried about sharing fiber with them.

It'll help to get a modem model number, but it sure sounds like Fiber. I heard that True has Fiber in many locations over the island, but haven't seen it with my own eyes just yet, so I'm still a bit skeptical.

TOT advertises 100 Mpbs, too. :rolleyes:

My guess is that the True guy in Kathu doesn't know what he's talking about. You can see on www.phuketinternetspeed.com that Vito9 is reporting very good speeds with True in Rawai.

ok great, thnks a lot!!

It'll help to get a modem model number, but it sure sounds like Fiber. I heard that True has Fiber in many locations over the island, but haven't seen it with my own eyes just yet, so I'm still a bit skeptical.

TOT advertises 100 Mpbs, too. :rolleyes:

My guess is that the True guy in Kathu doesn't know what he's talking about. You can see on www.phuketinternetspeed.com that Vito9 is reporting very good speeds with True in Rawai.

It's cable as they are also transporting TrueVision over same wire. I doubt very much they are running fibre to the pole and then coax into the house, but hey, it's Thailand...

Modem is Motorola Surfboard SB 5101NE, and I'm pretty sure it's coming in on coax.

Been down twice since yesterday, but otherwise it's a super connection.

True 20 MB installed today. I am getting download speeds of around 20 Mbps (using K. Woody's recommended site) which is great apart from the fact that torrent speeds are aroung 20kbps! Throttling? My settings? Any ideas?

True 20 MB installed today. I am getting download speeds of around 20 Mbps (using K. Woody's recommended site) which is great apart from the fact that torrent speeds are aroung 20kbps! Throttling? My settings? Any ideas?

not enough seeds? if its throttling, there's always a way around it so it does not matter. Just join a private tracker and ask the nerds to do your job lol

Almost certainly throttling.

Use a VPN. That's what I do... VyprVPN is very fast.

It's cable as they are also transporting TrueVision over same wire. I doubt very much they are running fibre to the pole and then coax into the house, but hey, it's Thailand...

Modem is Motorola Surfboard SB 5101NE, and I'm pretty sure it's coming in on coax.

Been down twice since yesterday, but otherwise it's a super connection.

Looks like you nailed it. The people I know who know this stuff say that you've probably got a Cable TV connection - that True is running Cable TV to your house, then providing the 20 Mbps line over cable TV coax.

It ain't fiber optic. I just changed the description of True's 20 Mbps line on www.phuketinternetspeed.com

You say they're offering TrueVision over the same cable. Any idea about prices? If it's significantly cheaper than the dishes, hey, I'll change in a New York minute - especially if they offer HDTV on more than just two channels.

True Vision Gold package is 1499 (so I was told).

Can cable really do 100mbps + HDTV?

Funny, because cable can actually transmit far higher speed than phone copper. ADSL is limited to around 24Mb whereas cable can go up into the 100's of Mb.

The True cable lines can support both HD TV, SD TV and (I presume) up to 100Mb Internet in parallel.

@Woody - it's a new cable product. I didn't have cable from True previously, but they have been laying nodes all around the southern part of the island for a few months now. Each moo ban will get a node every 50m or so. They then simply run a new cable from the node to your house. When you sign up they give 70m free cable and then it's 25 baht per m above this.

The telcos have no where to go now other than offer FTTH since their old copper wires cant transmit above 24-27Mb (if they can even get to there).

Want so bad.

Calling to harass True about Kata and give them the feel the area has a big demand and might do it quicker.

True sales rep.

Call and he said he will report all wanted connections to Bangkok.