True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

I've just received a leaflet with the above promotion from True. Apparently they give a free cable modem and Coaxial Cable.

The condition is that you have used their normal hi-speed Internet for at least 1 year.

I must admit that I've been very satisfied with True for the past couple of years and now have 6 Mbps for 599 baht.

Does anyone have the above promotion? If so, how is it? Are the speeds reliable and is the connection stable?

These links give other prices than the leaflet I was given by True employees at Co-op Ekamai (Under California Wow).

The prices I have are:

10Mbps/1Mbps 699

20Mbps/2Mbps 1,299

30Mbps/3Mbps 1,799

50Mbpd/5Mbps 2,799

100 Mbps/10Mbps 4,499

Free connection fee (normal 2000 Baht)

Free Cable Modem (value 3,000 baht)

Free Coaxial Cable (value 2,600 Baht)

Cannot cancel for 12 months.

Tel. 089 113 1256 (am I allowed to post that?)

Apparently they give a free cable modem and Coaxial Cable.

You sure about the cable modem? Didn't know True had cable internet. Anyway, any modem True provides will be worse than useless and should be chucked in the bin.

As far as the connection goes, I'm currently showing this (originally subscribed to 2Mbps connection):

Downstream Rate: 9408 kbps

Upstream Rate: 604 kbps

Not getting anything like that down (from my own server which is on a gigabit connection via FTP multi-thread, so it should be maxed out). More like 500kB max, but on the whole the connection is very solid. I've had no serious cause for complaint with True internet in nearly 4 years of continuous use (Bangkok).

Edited by MKAsok

Apparently they give a free cable modem and Coaxial Cable.

You sure about the cable modem? Didn't know True had cable internet. Anyway, any modem True provides will be worse than useless and should be chucked in the bin.

As far as the connection goes, I'm currently showing this (originally subscribed to 2Mbps connection):

Downstream Rate: 9408 kbps

Upstream Rate: 604 kbps

Not getting anything like that down (from my own server which is on a gigabit connection via FTP multi-thread, so it should be maxed out). More like 500kB max, but on the whole the connection is very solid. I've had no serious cause for complaint with True internet in nearly 4 years of continuous use (Bangkok).

Yes, I am sure about the cable modem. I didn't know they had cable Internet either.

A representative from True will contact me tomorrow with more details.

I am currently on 6 Mbps for 599 baht and just did a speed test. I am downloading at 6.60Mb/s so I am quite satisfied with this.

As I mentioned before I think True have provided a very good connection and their service is tip top nowadays.

I am just considering paying 100 baht (+VAT) more for a faster connection.

I have the 50mb True Ultra High Speed product. Cannot see any info on the net about 100mb cable product. Might be interested but I doubt my building has cable tv capability??

Gladly pay the 100mb cable price with expectations of 70mb for a price less than the 50mb VDSL2 product.

Edited by negreanu

So hopefully you already have TRUE CATV (cable). You'll need it.

AFAIK TRUE & UBC have had cable internet continuously for a very long time. Most customers prefer ADSL.

I have sat TV & thus cable modem not possible.

yes, I have True cable TV, although the person I talked to from True said it wasn't necessary to have a True cable Tv subscription. Maybe for those that don't have cable TV they will just put the line in.

Incidentally this offer is only open until 28 February 2011.

AFAIK TRUE & UBC have had cable internet continuously for a very long time. Most customers prefer ADSL.

yes, I have True cable TV, although the person I talked to from True said it wasn't necessary to have a True cable Tv subscription. Maybe for those that don't have cable TV they will just put the line in.

Just phoned True online customer service. Person I spoke to had no idea when I asked about the 100mb cable product and can i get it installed... sad.gif gave up in the end.

Edited by negreanu

Just phoned True online customer service. Person I spoke to had no idea when I asked about the 100mb cable product and can i get it installed... sad.gif gave up in the end.

Ok, I have the latest news on this promotion.

It's true (no pun intended) that True customer service knows nothing of this promotion. You have to contact sales directly and I have the telephone number. Am I allowed to post it here?

It seems this promotion is only available in certain areas of Bangkok. I am on Thong Lor and the service is only available on a few sois on Thong Lor. Luckily I am on one of the sois.

I asked about reliability, up times and so on and was told that it is "VERY stable" (but then again what else would she say?).

They also told me that when I use their cable modem I won't have wi-fi. As I use 2 laptops around the house I need this. Is it possible to set up some kind of wi-fi from the main computer?

Cable internet speeds are theoretical and depend on how many users are hanging off the same node. In a normal cable network there are usually around 100 freestanding dwellings off a single node. In Bangkok who has any clue how many residences are hanging off that node?!?!?

I have a friend who subscribes to a 100mb cable modem plan. On a good day he gets the same download speeds as a 16mb ADSL connection but during busy times the speed is 1/10th of that

I'd give it a wide berth, you would be far better off with the 16mb ADSL plan at half the price.....

It's true (no pun intended) that True customer service knows nothing of this promotion. You have to contact sales directly and I have the telephone number.

No surprises there. In both apartments I've lived in Bangkok, True customer service told me there was no True internet in either building. Both times it was necessary to contact some shadowy 'salesperson' who hooked it up.

Is it possible to set up some kind of wi-fi from the main computer?

Hook a wireless router into the cable modem.

P.S. I agree with the above post on cable internet. In my experience, it's a crap shoot. Usually with the emphasis being on crap.

Cable internet speeds are theoretical and depend on how many users are hanging off the same node. In a normal cable network there are usually around 100 freestanding dwellings off a single node. In Bangkok who has any clue how many residences are hanging off that node?!?!?

I have a friend who subscribes to a 100mb cable modem plan. On a good day he gets the same download speeds as a 16mb ADSL connection but during busy times the speed is 1/10th of that

I'd give it a wide berth, you would be far better off with the 16mb ADSL plan at half the price.....

You obviously didn't see my earlier posting with the prices. I can see that ADSL 16Mb is 2,299 Baht. For 1,799 baht they are offering 30Mb on cable. These are NOT the prices advertised on the website but a special promotion.

From what I gather this is a new idea from True. They are setting up a special hub with a limited number of users. First come first serve.

One thing I forgot to ask them was whether I could still get free wifi at their hotspots. This is something I would surely miss as I travel a lot daily and use hotspots all over Bangkok.

It's true (no pun intended) that True customer service knows nothing of this promotion. You have to contact sales directly and I have the telephone number.

No surprises there. In both apartments I've lived in Bangkok, True customer service told me there was no True internet in either building. Both times it was necessary to contact some shadowy 'salesperson' who hooked it up.

Is it possible to set up some kind of wi-fi from the main computer?

Hook a wireless router into the cable modem.

P.S. I agree with the above post on cable internet. In my experience, it's a crap shoot. Usually with the emphasis being on crap.

I forgot to mention that the sales girl talked to me about speeds and reliability and she "guarantees" that a 10 Mb will give at least 9Mb speeds.

I forgot to mention that the sales girl talked to me about speeds and reliability and she "guarantees" that a 10 Mb will give at least 9Mb speeds.

Don't believe it for a minute. :) perhaps to BKK servers off peak yeh.

Think I'll stick with True 50mb VDSL2 in that case. They won't guarantee my speeds tho :)

Think I'll stick with True 50mb VDSL2 in that case. They won't guarantee my speeds tho :)

What kind of ping time and speeds (download and upload) are you getting to overseas servers?

If you don't mind, could you run a test at www.SpeedTest.net and test to the Seattle server? I would greatly appreciate knowing the results.

Recently I've visited the True shop. They told me that the main disadvantage of the Cable Internet (speeds aside) is that it allowes to connect only one PC. With DSL you can connect several PCs and aslo have a Wi-Fi.

What kind of ping time and speeds (download and upload) are you getting to overseas servers?

If you don't mind, could you run a test at www.SpeedTest.net and test to the Seattle server? I would greatly appreciate knowing the results.

Below is the speed results. Very consistent even 5 months later Ping times are no better than standard ADSL product as its a physical limit of how fast electrons can get from TH to US.

Even with 500mb VDSL pings will not improve unless they open a more direct TH-US pipe.

Speed results below.

Info on True Ultra

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Just would like to give my feedback about True Cable. It does exist, because I got it 2-3 weeks ago. The other offer ultra high-speed is not available everywhere, only in some condo I think. I have a house in sukhumvit 71, and I was able to have the cable. I've heard about it at a temporary true shop in front of Jusco.

The offer I have is 100 Mbps/10Mbps 4,499.

I can say it's working quite well, I get about 110Mbps in download and 12Mbps in upload. International traffic is much better than with ADSL

However, you have to be careful about the fact they offer only a modem, not a router, I don't remember exactly the model I got, but it was a Motorola Surfboard (6120 I think), which is working quite well. I tried to use it as a router or share over the network, but seems not possible. So I currently use a Linksys E3000 router in addition, and it's working very well. I get a slower upload (8mbps) but it's better than not sharing it, especially in an office with many people. I do advice NOT to buy the Linksys VPN router, as it slows down internet so much (even for adsl).

Feel free to ask me if you want more details!

Thanks for that info. I couldn't find any info about True's 100Mb internet package on their web site...only their 20 to 50Mb very high speed packages and their 6 -16Mb high speed packages. True is stringing cable TV and internet to my western Bangkok moobaan and soi as I speak. I had thought they were just stringing phone cable but from looking at the end of one cable it had no phone wires inside, only only large center conductor and the outside/shielding conductor. I said to myself, they are stringing in cable TV. I asked one of the installation guys would the cable do TV, internet, and phone. He spoke pretty good English and said no, it only does TV and internet up to 100Mb. He said they are suppose to be done by 13 Feb and beginning selling services within my moobaan. I will be switching. I've already got TrueVisions via the dish satellite method, but I'll switch to cable TV just not to have rainfade anymore and hopefully a clearer signal. For the internet, since my internet needs are just for general browsing and some video viewing, I'll probably just go with a 10Mb package at around 1199 baht/mo (I'm currently on a TOT 6Mb package). And TOT gets the leftovers with my phone line at 107 baht/mo.

These links give other prices than the leaflet I was given by True employees at Co-op Ekamai (Under California Wow).

The prices I have are:

10Mbps/1Mbps 699

20Mbps/2Mbps 1,299

30Mbps/3Mbps 1,799

50Mbpd/5Mbps 2,799

100 Mbps/10Mbps 4,499

Free connection fee (normal 2000 Baht)

Free Cable Modem (value 3,000 baht)

Free Coaxial Cable (value 2,600 Baht)

Cannot cancel for 12 months.

Tel. 089 113 1256 (am I allowed to post that?)

Thanks. Good info. As mentioned in my above post they are laying this cable TV/internet line in my western Bangkok moobaan and my soi as we speak. They are suppose to start having a promotion in my moobaan on or about 13 Feb when the installation is suppose to be complete. That 20Mb/2Mb package at 1,299 baht looks awful tempting to my eyes.

Couldn't get that one link to work showing the prices for the cable internet...got one of those server error messages...maybe they have removed that page...the other link showing their 6-16Mb packages worked OK. But I did do a google and got this site talking about the 10Mb to 100Mb promotion: http://gimyong.com/talung/index.php?topic=3375.0

Thanks again. Tonight I'll probably dream about getting a new True 20Mb internet package while kicking my old TOT 6Mb package out the door.

Edited by Pib

They're offering the 100Mbps cable package in Chiang Mai as well - as always with True in Chiang Mai, in the city only. In my direction anything before Lotus Hang Dong, not far at all. Our house is already too far at 5km from Nimman on canal road :(

For anyone out there with True internet via "cable" vs a version of phone line DSL, it would be interesting (and appreciated) to see what some of your speedtest.net results are for what ever cable internet package you have. That is, the 10Mb, 20Mb, 30Mb, 50Mb, or 100Mb cable packages/speeds. Any words of wisdom (experience) on the cable internet packages would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pib

Recently I've visited the True shop. They told me that the main disadvantage of the Cable Internet (speeds aside) is that it allowes to connect only one PC. With DSL you can connect several PCs and aslo have a Wi-Fi.

What is stopping you from connecting a wireless router to the cable modem to create your own home network?

Recently I've visited the True shop. They told me that the main disadvantage of the Cable Internet (speeds aside) is that it allowes to connect only one PC. With DSL you can connect several PCs and also have a Wi-Fi.

What is stopping you from connecting a wireless router to the cable modem to create your own home network?

Probably just a communications disconnect between English and Thai languages...probably meant the cable modem just had one output port on it...and this one port goes to whatever computer device your want to hookup such as a single computer or a wireless router to feed multiple computers. That''s the way my cable modem was in the States...I ran its one output port to my wireless router...no different that using a ADSL modem with only one output (like the Zyxel ADSL modem I'm using right now which feeds my wireless router). Preaching to the choir I know.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this discussion with interest, since I always preferred cable internet to DSL back in the States...

I searched in vain to find any info on True's cable internet service in BKK on their web site, and found none... And then curiously, on my True DSL bill this month, there was a small blue colored ad box, all in Thai, that made reference to "10 to 100 Mbps" and an amount starting at 699 baht per month, so I knew that was not their higher priced DSL service but rather their cable service...

So I called True Internet today and managed to get a CSR who seemed knowledgeable about the cable service... She basically confirmed the service details and pricing provided earlier in this thread, and that their current promotion, which includes free installation and a free cable modem, will continue through this Feb. 28. She also said customers should be able to sign up at the True or True Internet shops such as Siam Square, MBK, and FortuneTown IT, among others.

My first question to her, however, was did my BKK house location qualify for the cable Internet service, and after checking a bit, she came back with yes my address qualified, and I could choose any of the packages from 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps at the various price points. She also confirmed that I could keep my existing True DSL service and add the True cable Internet service if I wanted to do that, and she even suggested that approach at least until I was sure everything with the cable would be up and running fine.

She also noted that the cable Internet service was only for one computer (unlike their DSL service), and I didn't broach the issue of a person simply adding a wireless router of their own later between the cable modem and the connected PC using standard Ethernet cabling.

Here's some other details she provided:

--It is supposed to be a one year service commitment. But apparently, if someone bails out before the one year is up, their reaction will be to charge you what otherwise/normally would have been the 2600 baht installation fee. Of course, if a person terminates the service, they'll also be responsible for returning the provided cable modem.

--Also, the free installation promotion includes up to 70 meters of cabling from their service point into a person's home. If the installation requires more than that, she said the rate even under the promotion would be 25 baht extra per additional meter.

--Lastly, I pointed out that I already have TrueVisions cable running into my home for cable TV service. And the CSR said she THOUGHT the cable Internet service would be delivered over the same cable line, meaning in such a situation that they wouldn't have to pull/run any new cable into my home... That's certainly the way it's worked in the U.S., with a signal splitter being used to separate the Internet and cable TV feeds. I hope she's right about that being the case here, meaning installation would be a breeze.

At the end, I asked the CSR if she could point me to any info on True's web sites re this service...and she thought she could... but ended up finding only the info on their DSL and VDSL services...but nothing about cable Internet... which certainly seems kind of strange... But then, TIT...

So, as has been mentioned above, if anyone out there already has True's cable Internet up and running, please do chime in here with how the install process went and how the service is working... True's price points for comparable speeds are much better for the cable service compared to their regular DSL service. And at least for the time being, one might expect the cable service to have less user congestion.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1161233707.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1161234345.png

It is popular to say CAT has one line going out of Thailand and everything has to go via singapore, the truth is True has 5 separate lines going out of the country one of which is direct to USA and one Direct to Europe. Three I think then go to Singapore.

p.s. this is True DSL.

Edited by OxfordWill

JFC,

There are some links in the following post/similar topic that provide some speedtests on the True cable internet...be sure to review several pages of the blog which the links lead to in order to see various speedtest.net and adslthailand speed results. I too had cable internet in the States...it gave me better speed than a similar phone line ADSL package and the cable internet was super reliable. But that was the States...hopefully it will be the same in Thailand (fingers crossed). And also hopefully I will be switching from TOT's 6Mb ADSL plan to a True's cable internet plan of 20Mb in late March as True is stringing the cable TV/internet line (up to 100Mb) in my moobaan as we speak and they are suppose to be completed on 17 March 11 (of course that is Thai time, but they do seem to be making very good progress).

Cheers,

Pib

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4222414