English Teacher - Nanny

MacWalen

I have a live in nanny that speaks English and her salary is 4,000 Baht a month and we have 3 kids............

Hard to imagine that your nanny's English is much more than pigeon or that she has been well-educated, otherwise what is she doing working for 4,000 baht a month?

Unless it's some illegal immigrant from Burma who's hiding from the police and will take anything to stay in Thailand I don't believe it

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at any given time I have at least 2 nannys.

I have never paid more than 4k baht per month for a nanny

I (like most folks) also pay for their food, shampoo, toilet paper, soap, food, tampons, phone cards, food, etc, etc.

My nannys have free use of high speed internet, hot showers, food, laundry, cable TV, air conditioning, filtered drinking water, food, coffee.

At minimum, my nannys have a license to drive a motor bike and most have a license to drive a car ( either process and training paid for by me).

All my nannys are trained in CPR, use of fire extinguishers, and basic medic service.

Pants, shorts and shirts usually cost less than 100baht each in Thai markets or Tesco, so, I'll usually buy my nannys one or two outfits per month.

None of my nannys pay rent...............

Often my nannys leave to work in factorys in Laem Chabang or Samut Sakorn. They make their 10k baht per month. Work 6 twelves (12 hour day in a Thai factory is really a 16 hour day to book 12). Eat noodles all day. Live in their 1,500 baht per month sty. Take cold showers standing over the hole in the floor toilet. Pay electric and water bills. Listen to loud music and tantrum screaming of the other hopeless worker bees in the cement and brick hive they "live" in between working hours....................

ALL

of my nannys ask to return to their "disgracefull" 4k baht per month nanny job.

It's a hard job being a nanny to a falang kid. Our kids are, ............., busy.

My kids love (LOVE) their nannys. Our nannys are not worker bees. They are family. They are like the older daughter that wants to stay at home and help out.

We've had 15 nannys in the last 4 years. We currently have 3 working and 7 that will drop what they are doing and return (home).

An educated Thai gal (bi or tri lingual) may make 12k - 20k baht per month in BKK or some tourist town. She then has to pay rent, food, electric, water, food, clothing ( lots of nice clothing if they work in an office or resort), etc, etc.

A good school that has foreign language options within their cirriculum is not expensive in Thailand.

To the OP

If you have a live in teacher that is fluent in at least 2 languages (in addition to Thai) and has safe (licensed) driving experience and knows basic medic procedures and knows how to cook for the kids and clean their clothes, etc.

Then

I believe you could bill her out for 20K baht per month (room and board covered by the customer) in BKK or some falang town.

Not sure what portion of the 20k you would have to pay her, but either way, there is no reason to spend all this money getting gals from the Philipines. Multilingual Thai gals are a dime a dozen.

See Above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ESB7 and MACWALEN

I think it is a disgrace to pay her only 4000 bath for the work you mentioned.

It is nice they get a lot of perks in your house.

The 4000 bath won't by far cover the cost for her to help her own children to grow up.

I don't think the list of things these nanny's get free, like food, coffee, internet, hot water etc really goes much of the way to justifying the tiny 4,000 baht salary. These things are given to them because they are living under the same roof as you - to deny them would be difficult, not to say awkward - and by having them living under the same roof as you, they are basically on the job 24 hours a day.

I think their are too many schools offering English programmes to 3 - 4 year olds for this to work. Why pay a nanny the money your on about when you can send your children off to nursery school with a native English speaker for 35000 - 50000 baht a year. I know what I would do!

I don't think the list of things these nanny's get free, like food, coffee, internet, hot water etc really goes much of the way to justifying the tiny 4,000 baht salary. These things are given to them because they are living under the same roof as you - to deny them would be difficult, not to say awkward - and by having them living under the same roof as you, they are basically on the job 24 hours a day.

agreed

Compensation goes 2 ways and is more than just salary or sitting in a house that the falangs kid happens to be in.

60% of the folks in this country provide for their familys on 4k baht per month.

A nanny's salary is her net profit.

4k baht net is easily more than 80% of Thais profit per month

I still think the OP has a winning business model.

His clientelle are those who don't understand how generous a 4k baht net is and/or those that don't have the time or patience to shop around.

Plenty of them around.

The rest of us will continue to pay 2k baht per month for bi/multilingual schoolin for our falang/thai kids and continue offering an above average net to our Thai nannys.

His clientelle are those who don't understand how generous a 4k baht net is and/or those that don't have the time or patience to shop around.

Might be pushing it a little to describe 4,000 baht as being generous, even if it is net. Just about adequate might be more like it.

Guess if that is all you can afford to pay, and someone is willing to do it, fair enough. Were it me and were it my kids, i'd like to think that the person i entrusted them to whilst i wasn't around, was worthy of a bit more. That's all i'm saying...

Edited by rixalex

60% of the folks in this country provide for their familys on 4k baht per month.

How do you get there with the minimum wage being 221 bath a day and working 6 days a week?

Edited by FritsSikkink

How do you get there with the minimum wage being 221 bath a day and working 6 days a week?

most folks work under the table

those that demand the MW will be liable for taxes and subject to all kinds of "fees" related to their employment.

I pay for one of my wife's sisters schoolin. The 13 year old is quite brilliant. Shame to see her waste away attending facilities not up to her speed. (most of her 13 year old friends work in factories or in the sugar and rice fields).

The master degreed Admin at her school grosses 11k baht per month.

The teachers (minimum BA) make 6k baht per month.

The local manager at Kasikorn grosses 13K baht per month.

Police gross 6k baht per month

My kids doctor grosses 30k baht per month at a private hospital (and roughly 50k baht per month at her clinic. She works 7 days per week).

221 x 6 = 1,326 x 4 = 5,304 baht per month gross

Edited by kdc1899

My son had a filipino teacher in kindergarten....he came home speaking 'water' and such with a horrible septic accent......knoocked that outa him....he says it it should be said.......'worta'........'got any worta mate, a mans not a camel'

20k baht for a nanny that can converse well all day in english is dam_n expensive.

I see that Filipinos are generally being criticized here for the way they speak English. I do not know the ones you know or knew and certainly not all speak good English but I can assure you that there are great many of them who speak perfect English.

The idea here is to teach children English form infancy. If I had kids I would not have any problem with a Filipino teacher-nanny. Of course I would like to interview her fist to make sure I am happy with the way she talks and also looks. ( ugly or not so good looking nanny might be a preferable one if you had a jealous wife!) This was a stupid joke, ok?

Those very cheap nannies are mostly poorly educated and stay on the jobs as it may be hard for them to find another job. That is not what we are talking about here.

Also sending your kids to a language school for a few lessons a week cannot compare to having a teacher at home and talking English at every interaction.

Filipino teachers saying warta vs water? I would have to hear it to believe it. There are 90 million people in the Philippines so there is choice.

Any Filipinos reading this thread? Please contribute.

I'm also amazed at the 4000 baht a month salary (live in or not!!)

The other salaries - such as master degree earning 11k is also well below market rate. Unless they are in small town Thailand, or working in public sector? Or not very good at anything they do.

One with a bachelor degree can start at around 8000 in a bank, make other commissions on top and be making close to 20k. Not all make that of course but I also know of at least one who makes close to 35k a month. Not a manager. Not in Bangkok. Studying towards master degree but not yet completed.

Police salary is spot on though.

Many many years ago we paid our live in about 5000 baht a month and I really mean MANY years ago.

Macealen, personally I believe there are homes that employ live in help who are paying around 8000 a month. So English speaking at 12 to 15 k could be viable?

25k would be pushing it I think. Maybe a few very elite Thai families would be willing to pay that much for a nanny but could be a hard market to reach to. But again possible. Could infact work out to be a nice niche market for you :)

Instead of them being a Nanny would they be able to work in other capacities in business where an English speaker could be useful, such as Real Estate?

Not really. Lots of Thais can work in real estate businesses. We are a school so we can process all the required documents for teachers but not for other jobs.

We are thinking specifically about families interested in their kids speaking English.

most folks work under the table

those that demand the MW will be liable for taxes and subject to all kinds of "fees" related to their employment.

I pay for one of my wife's sisters schoolin. The 13 year old is quite brilliant. Shame to see her waste away attending facilities not up to her speed. (most of her 13 year old friends work in factories or in the sugar and rice fields).

The master degreed Admin at her school grosses 11k baht per month.

The teachers (minimum BA) make 6k baht per month.

The local manager at Kasikorn grosses 13K baht per month.

Police gross 6k baht per month

My kids doctor grosses 30k baht per month at a private hospital (and roughly 50k baht per month at her clinic. She works 7 days per week).

221 x 6 = 1,326 x 4 = 5,304 baht per month gross

the average month has more than 28 days

more than 80% of the Thais don't have to pay tax because they don't earn enough

all kind of "fees" you are getting desperate now aren't you?

7 elevn is like 5-6k, so yes you are cheap aholes trying to justify paying a nanny 4k a month. I can spend that on a Fri night, certainly wouldn't trust someone wiith my kids and my possions for that ....

I see that Filipinos are generally being criticized here for the way they speak English. I do not know the ones you know or knew and certainly not all speak good English but I can assure you that there are great many of them who speak perfect English.

The idea here is to teach children English form infancy. If I had kids I would not have any problem with a Filipino teacher-nanny. Of course I would like to interview her fist to make sure I am happy with the way she talks and also looks. ( ugly or not so good looking nanny might be a preferable one if you had a jealous wife!) This was a stupid joke, ok?

Those very cheap nannies are mostly poorly educated and stay on the jobs as it may be hard for them to find another job. That is not what we are talking about here.

Also sending your kids to a language school for a few lessons a week cannot compare to having a teacher at home and talking English at every interaction.

Filipino teachers saying warta vs water? I would have to hear it to believe it. There are 90 million people in the Philippines so there is choice.

Any Filipinos reading this thread? Please contribute.

no real complaint about Philipino english at my kids kindergarten, not so happy when she comes home rabbiting on about jesus or singing christian songs.

but ultimately, i dont mind because the more information and experience she has with people of different cultures, religious etc the more well rounded she will be.

I'm also amazed at the 4000 baht a month salary (live in or not!!)

The other salaries - such as master degree earning 11k is also well below market rate. Unless they are in small town Thailand, or working in public sector? Or not very good at anything they do.

One with a bachelor degree can start at around 8000 in a bank, make other commissions on top and be making close to 20k. Not all make that of course but I also know of at least one who makes close to 35k a month. Not a manager. Not in Bangkok. Studying towards master degree but not yet completed.

Police salary is spot on though.

Many many years ago we paid our live in about 5000 baht a month and I really mean MANY years ago.

Still not sure why the OP wants to pay all this money bringing girls in from the Philipines.

??

My three nannys went home today. The main nanny wants to go to Phuket to be with her boyfriend. Her younger sister (nanny #2) doesn't want to stay without the older sister. Younger sister's friend (nanny # 3) doesn't want to stay without nanny # 2.

No problem.

#1 and #2 are 3rd cousins of the wife. My whole pool of nannys are all local family. I personally would never have a live in that was not local family. Would never leave my 3 year old, 2 year old and/or my 1 year old alone with someone who was not local family.

One of the first cousins; that has previously blessed us with her live in services, arrived this morning (very happy to have the opportunity to return home).

The wife left the 3 youngins with 1st cousin and drove previous #1 to Naconcha Air. Then drove #2 and #3 back to the village.

The 3 year old and 2 year old are crying today because they miss #1 muchly and love her absolutely. They also totally love first cousin so the sting aint what it could have been if SuperMom wasn't soooo prepared.

New #1 will get 6k baht per month net ( prorated for the remainder of this month. The other 10k baht per month (costs more to feed these gals than pay them) of food and ...... stuff is on me. No rent or commuting time or costs, etc, etc). She knows english well and Mandarin; nit noy. Na Kop.

When 2nd cousin arrives in ten days (will utilize other relatives until 2nd cousin arrives) New #1 will receive a net profit of 5k baht per month and will be free from friday afternoon till her return sunday evening.

If new #2 stays more than 3 months this time she will get a bonus and raise.

Not sure what all the fuss is about regarding a 4k baht net for a high school graduate.

??

In BKK ^^^^^ a college graduate starts at 8 - 12 K baht per month at a bank. With that 12K she has to pay rent, electric, food, water, student loans, commuting costs (and time), All the clothing and electronic gadgets expected of a modern educated woman, income tax (???), phone cards, coffee (30 baht per day. 600 baht per month), internet for her smartphone and apartment, send money to the family, etc, etc.

Her scenario does'nt include kids.

The police officer scenario includes kids and a wife.

4K baht net for a gal who is at best a high school grad.

You have to be a high school grad to work a jet/sipette

7 elevn is like 5-6k, so yes you are cheap aholes trying to justify paying a nanny 4k a month. I can spend that on a Fri night, certainly wouldn't trust someone wiith my kids and my possions for that ....

7/11 pays 6,700 baht per month for high school grads that work 6 twelves.

Most of my gals have worked at jet/sipette.

Some have made 15K baht per month working 7 twelves at factories in Samut Sakorn, Laem Chabang, etc.

Pretty nasty stuff; those factories. Bloddy noses every night. Breathing problems. Menstrual cycles cease. Hourly sexual harrasment.

Pattaya and Nana are out of the question for 95% of these Thai gals.

4K Baht net working with family who loves you and whom you love is a nice gig for a Thai gal.

Know what I mean?

Edited by kdc1899

7/11 pays 6,700 baht per month for high school grads that work 6 twelves.

Most of my gals have worked at jet/sipette.

Some have made 15K baht per month working 7 twelves at factories in Samut Sakorn, Laem Chabang, etc.

Pretty nasty stuff; those factories. Bloddy noses every night. Breathing problems. Menstrual cycles cease. Hourly sexual harrasment.

Pattaya and Nana are out of the question for 95% of these Thai gals.

4K Baht net working with family who loves you and whom you love is a nice gig for a Thai gal.

Know what I mean?

If you really loved her you would pay her more money :whistling:

I love these gals because my kids love them.

Loving them in such a fatherly manner.........

It would be most hurtful to them (giving) these gals more of a net profit than they can earn in the real world. They need to remain motivated and focused. They can use this nanny opportunity to retool and save alot of baht (cause they have zero expenses).

At some point all 3 of these kids will be in school or in The States. Being a nanny for me is not a career.

4K baht NET for a high school grad (at best). Very generous. Great living conditions. NO Thai would offer the same to a nanny ( and my gals never have to bow at my or my wife's feet).

OP

If your Philipine gals are not fluent in Thai and your clients wifes are Thai...

I don't think you'll get many clients.

Also

Since I'm getting all this ..... for my generosity.

How much baht will your Philipine gals gross per month (after they finish paying what it cost to get them here and get there visas and put them up while they await an assignment) ?

I checked with my neighbor across the road who has a live in. They pay her 7000 net plus food, buy her all the toiletries she needs AND let's her take part time cleaning jobs in the neighborhood. She also gets all the recycling material (mostly plastic bottles) and the amount from selling them.

The house next door pay theirs 10k. Because part of the deal is that she looks after an elderly woman in the house.

Both are Thai families. So yes there are others that pay mmore than 4k net a month. But if the girls are happy and return you must be doing something right. However I just thought I'd let you know that it is not that generous an amount as you make it sound :)

I checked with my neighbor across the road who has a live in. They pay her 7000 net plus food, buy her all the toiletries she needs AND let's her take part time cleaning jobs in the neighborhood. She also gets all the recycling material (mostly plastic bottles) and the amount from selling them.

The house next door pay theirs 10k. Because part of the deal is that she looks after an elderly woman in the house.

Both are Thai families. So yes there are others that pay mmore than 4k net a month. But if the girls are happy and return you must be doing something right. However I just thought I'd let you know that it is not that generous an amount as you make it sound :)

I have never heard of a Thai paying that much. Must be many though if you know of at least 2.

I know lots of falangs paying more than 10K baht for older robotic professional live in nannys.

For my kids, I'm looking for family members that would just as soon help out family rather than lose face asking to be paid for something expected of her anyway, in her culture.

Win win for all. I get what I need. The kids have fun with and love these young cousins of theirs. Young hip lively gals get an excellent quality of life and mild workload (at least 2 nannys at anytime) and get to save baht while they ponder their next adventures.

OP

A teacher that is not fluent in Thai will be a real burden. Nannys have to deal with schools, clinics, markets, kids playfriends who do not know english, etc, etc.

It's a great idea. After the Kids come back from School they could learn an hour or two English with the Nanny.

The bumpy English of most Thais is just terrible.

Edited by Lammbock

I love these gals because my kids love them.

Loving them in such a fatherly manner.........

It would be most hurtful to them (giving) these gals more of a net profit than they can earn in the real world. They need to remain motivated and focused. They can use this nanny opportunity to retool and save alot of baht (cause they have zero expenses).

At some point all 3 of these kids will be in school or in The States. Being a nanny for me is not a career.

4K baht NET for a high school grad (at best). Very generous. Great living conditions. NO Thai would offer the same to a nanny ( and my gals never have to bow at my or my wife's feet).

OP

If your Philipine gals are not fluent in Thai and your clients wifes are Thai...

I don't think you'll get many clients.

Also

Since I'm getting all this ..... for my generosity.

How much baht will your Philipine gals gross per month (after they finish paying what it cost to get them here and get there visas and put them up while they await an assignment) ?

I'm sorry but you really are a jerk, stop trying to justify it and saying you are doing them a favour by not paying more than 4k a month. It's nothing, they get nothing and their familys get nothing. You are cheap and I for one wouldn't be cheap when my kids and my home are at stake. Net doesn't mean anything when its 4k, I saw on pizza hut door last night, for a delivery driver, 8.500 - 10k a month, own motorbike not required.

I have never heard of a Thai paying that much. Must be many though if you know of at least 2.

I know lots of falangs paying more than 10K baht for older robotic professional live in nannys.

For my kids, I'm looking for family members that would just as soon help out family rather than lose face asking to be paid for something expected of her anyway, in her culture.

Win win for all. I get what I need. The kids have fun with and love these young cousins of theirs. Young hip lively gals get an excellent quality of life and mild workload (at least 2 nannys at anytime) and get to save baht while they ponder their next adventures.

OP

A teacher that is not fluent in Thai will be a real burden. Nannys have to deal with schools, clinics, markets, kids playfriends who do not know english, etc, etc.

I have a thai friend who is 25, little bit high so but down to earth, had same nanny since birth, her parents pay her 15-20k. She was just a Issan girl with no school also, thais are more generious then farangs, because they are not stupid. Rather then have 8 nannys in and out, you can treat one right and she will never leave and always be trust worthy.

my gym fees ain the uk were more than 4k a month.

Edited by Bingo66