Buidling An Indoor Rabbit Area

james24

Trying to build an indoor rabbit area in the spare room as we dont have a garden. The rabbits will have the chance to be outside alot (family members garden) but Im trying to build something comfortable inside.

So far Ive come up with a square, open plan with a permiter fence around it . Gonna make some tunnels and stuff and a poo-pee area for them but Im a bit stuck and we gotta pick em up on Monday

Any suggestions for this "creation" , which materials you think might be good for it, design ideas etc....???

Keeping rabbits indoors is not a good idea.

If you keep them indoors, the droppings, bedding and left over food will attract flies, beetles, roaches, lice, mites and ants, plus the smell of urine will become overpowering if not cleaned out regularly.

There is also the fact that rabbits, breed like rabbits, so you may end up with more little bunnies then you know what to do with.

Also consider that rabbits are borrowing animals and housing them in cages is not their natural environment. Rabbits are likely to fight if kept in small confinements, have sharp teeth and will easily gnaw through wood, plastic, even thin wire.

Edited by Beetlejuice

lol thanks guys some interesting answers.

Its true rabbits natural habitat is outdoors as far as I know they are not native to Thailand either and in this heat it might be perhaps more humane to keep them indoors...?

The point about roaches etc is a bit of a worry, We live on the 4th floor so some littles pests can be avoided but some are pretty nifty and may find a way.

Regarding cleanliness I guess thats upto me and it is something I will be taking care of but I guess one wee could stink the place out.

Bit stuck now as we've said yes to two 5 week old bunnies....mmmmm

Don't worry, they poo neat lil pellets, easy to clean, not smelly, they will actually go to the same area, away from their food. A google search will probably find you some habitat info for your space. Rabbits are easy low maintanence pets. They do like to chew so keep that in mind.

You may already have researched on care of indoor rabbits but here are a couple of sites to browse over.

Myhouserabbit.com

mypetrabbits.com

Something I wasn't aware of:

Surprisingly, rabbits are one of the most popular pets in Thailand. Many Thai girls (or their boyfriends!) buy rabbits, and so do some of the expats who live here. Thousands of rabbits are sold every month at markets

all over Thailand. I bought two rabbits last year at one of the local markets.

Source:

I remember when I was in Thailand in 68-69 that some in the village I lived had pet rabbits so guess they have been here for quite a while. ;)

I know people who keep them as pets inside the house in the U.S., or at least keep one along with the family dog and cat. I'm not certain about how they manage the poop and pee details, though. Dr. Google is probably your friend here. I wouldn't expect that Thai rabbits are much different than rabbits elsewhere.

Thanks again guys.

Been researching quite a bit and it seems like keeping them indoors might just be ok. Ive also found out that they are quite happy to live on their own rather than in a couple much like a dog and even more interesting you can teach it commands like a dog!!

Gonna head down to Big C and JJ market today to see what I can find regarding housing and poo corners etc :-)

If anyone is interested they are selling them at the big bake n bite near Narawat bridge at the moment.

What a hassle just for few stupid rabbits who, when bought at an animal shop will die within 2 months anyway. Sounds like being blackmailed by a daughter, hehe :lol:

Wonder why this "member" feels the need to contribute in a pointless way to this thread,

Rabbit captive lifespan is 9 - 12 years. Children that care for animals learn compassion, empathy and responsibiliy.

Totally agree daoyai, caring for pets is great for everyone in so many ways.

As for the effort side of things I'm finding it alot easier and more enjoyable than going shopping at Robinson lol

Had a good look today at Big C and JJ. Some cool stuff but Im a bit stuck on what to lay on the bottom of the cage. Walking on the wire mesh from what Ive read isnt great or that comfortable for them, any ideas where I can get some cheap carpet cuttings or perhaps suggestions of what I could alternatively use....?

Nice suggestions thanks

The newspaper I looked into and apparently the ink used can be toxic. I guess putting it under the car matts might be ok though, then covering the car matts with a bit of woodchip etc

Im raising rabbits in Chiang Mai and can give you suggestions however you seem to be constricted to raising them indoors.

Not a good idea but along with my rabbits which I have in cages they are on our patio and soon will be under the eves for our roof and wastes go into a worm bin that i constructed out of PVC and wire.

If your interested just respond to my inputs

Cheers and good luck

Robin

Im raising rabbits in Chiang Mai and can give you suggestions however you seem to be constricted to raising them indoors.

Not a good idea but along with my rabbits which I have in cages they are on our patio and soon will be under the eves for our roof and wastes go into a worm bin that i constructed out of PVC and wire.

If your interested just respond to my inputs

Cheers and good luck

Robin

Thanks Robin

If you could tell me where you got your cage from and perhaps what you use on the bottom of it for flooring that would be cool

Yes they will be indoors but will be taken outside 3-4 times a week and well looked after.