Monk

32x

:o Need some advice please?

Later 2004 i plan to Marry my TGF.

THE OTHER DAY WHEN WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THIS ON THE PHONE SHE TOLD ME SHE WANTED ME TO BE A MONK BEFORE WE MARRIED,AT HER LOCAL TEMPLE NEAR PIMMAI(KORAT).

It seems like a really big deal to her so i said ok(wot have i let myself into?).

So any advice from ex monks or other guys that have done this would be great.

Many Thanks

32x

7 days, nothing to it. Cut your hair real short before ordination day (if it's not already short), as it makes it easier for the wat to shave your head, less nicks, etc. The eyebrows go, too. Bring enough mossie repellant for a week and your set. The wat will provide everything else.

I'd consider it an honor that your were asked. There's a Thai Buddhist saying that says it's better to live one day virtuous and meditative as a monk than it is to live a hundred years as a layman. Just a folk saying, but it conveys the importance placed on being a monk even if temporarily.

Perhaps this topic belongs in another forum category though ...

hope you have a good time lol I think that is a little strenge. You will have to shave all of your hair and wearing yellow cloth(nothing underneath), eat only ONCE a day at 11 am. before that you have to ask a permition from the temple where you were attented to be in Balee language.

It is a thai trediton for thai men he has to be a monk before he got married for his mother because we, thais believe that is the best bliss whoch is lead mother to the heaven . why can't you be a monk afterward? that because then your wife going to share a half of blissing.

My father never be a monk,said that is no fun:)

I would say that is the first time I have heard a potential or wife ask this and Bronco as well? I have heard of farngs going to the wat, but being asked to by the MRS - Is this common? Good Luck to you mate, practice crossing those legs I would say.

Dr P, As I am also from the city of churches, is there a big Thai contingent there?

My sister-in-law spent a week at the wat recently, she bought one of those fake bald head things so she didn't have to shave her head. Very interesting.

Anyone ever heard of a woman doing it before?

What kind of reasons would a woman need for becoming a monk for a week?

32x, if my wife had asked me to I would have jumped at the experience. Good luck. Hope you enjoy it.

Jumping in head first doc

There isn't a huge Thai community here, more Vietnamese and to a lesser degree Cambodian.

The Temple is an old house in Thebarton just behind the brewery. There are usually about 3 Monks living there and they are Uni students. There used to be an older Monk who I used to go and try to meditate with on Wednesday nights but he went back to Thailand last year (or at the beginning of this year) he was 90 and hasn't returned, he was called Master. He took a Farang guy (called Sam) with him who lived and worked at the temple, he hasn't returned either which is why I assumed you got a special deal if you went into servitude.

I am seriously considering doing the time it seems to be very important to her, she only mentions it casually but

me in a Wat well?

Ok Bronco, I know of that Wat near the west end brewery (good place for a Wat), are you actually living in Adelaide with your Thai wife?, if so how is it for her, friends/clubs etc? I havent lived in Adelaide for about 15 years so I have no idea re anything really to do with the local Thai groups - but I do know the crows didnt win the flag -sob

Apologies mate, if you have stated where you are living, before - I didnt pick that up.

P.S My brother runs a pub there, speaks a bit of Thai (he lived in Thailand for about a year), If you are there I will PM you the name of the pub and Ill shout you a VB :o

yes gentleman, we live here in Glenelg. If you know that Wat you might know the Master cause he was here at the set up stage 20 years ago. There used to be a Thai/Oz society but that has been put in limbo because of public liability insurance costs (thanks jonny and costello)

You probably remember Jaye Walton from channel 10 she is the Consul person here for Thai

I will take that VB from Brother interested to see where pub is

yes gentleman, we live here in Glenelg. If you know that Wat you might know the Master cause he was here at the set up stage 20 years ago. There used to be a Thai/Oz society but that has been put in limbo because of public liability insurance costs (thanks jonny and costello)

You probably remember Jaye Walton from channel 10 she is the Consul person here for Thai

I will take that VB from Brother interested to see where pub is

I sent you a PM, had a few hot days of late, Ive heard.

cmon doc you drink southwark most people cant pronounce let alone drink it and west end is best left alone.

our wine I am led to believe is the best in the world

I have tried both....the complex named one is pronounced Suthic. The best wine in the world is Hensche's Hill of Grace, Dr Penfold knocks up a great drop, and the new one now 2000 Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz ( from the Barossa ) is superb to my taste. About 16 bucks a throw in Oz. Try one Bronco.

SHE TOLD ME SHE WANTED ME TO BE A MONK BEFORE WE MARRIED,AT HER LOCAL TEMPLE NEAR PIMMAI(KORAT).

Meanwhile

Back at the Topic ...

32x - It is my Understanding that

becoming a Monk was not a Prelude to your Marraige per se

As I understand it - it is Thai Custom for a man

to be a Monk for 3 or 6 months as a Stepping stone in life

around the age of 20 (and therefore before Marriage)

So many Thai Men have had a spell in the Temple

Also I understood that regards to food - a Monk takes his

last meal BEFORE Midday.

But I have witnessed beverages being drunk at "Tea time"

- Horlicks etc.

Has your G/F checked that that Wat is prepared to take

a Farang novice for a mere 7 days?

Roger

We are getting up the nose of recovering alcoholics Bronco. It is off topic I agree. Go start a wine thread. My dad says that there's no such thing as a bad beer, but he says, a couple of the Sydney beers come close to being bad.

IMHO Grange is a lesser ' light '. Hensche Hill of Grace is #1. Just there in the Barossa, but like hens teeth to acquire.

Back to Monkhood. Perhaps you should all do it. I ordained for a spell several years ago, in honour of HM the King's 60th. I still think of it as about the best time of my life.

Beware one thing though, loose robes and no underwear make for potential embarrasing moments, particularly when you sit down.

Do it, you'll enjoy the experience.