Monk

32x

Guest IT Manager

I suppose it would be churlish of me to point out that Hill of Grace is the Worlds finest Table Wine. Penfolds Grange Hermitage is the Premier wine, bar none.

Interesting how we went from one guy discussing week-long watification and end up discussing good reds.

Two beers do if fact qualify as bad, the first is no longer made but was a local brew called Macs' made in Rockhampton Qld. and the second comes from the land of the kiwi called Waikato.

back onto the alchohol again.

Have you tried the Grange IT? you can buy a mall country for the price cetain vintages.

Guest IT Manager

Yes Bronco, at age 17 I had a very juvenile 1966. It was rated level 3 back then not sure where the gold book rates it these days but would love to find out. When I was 30 I had a 1968, which was brilliant and I didn't eat for the rest of the month. (Cost related). The single bottle was from memory 340 AUD.

The gold book in about 1997 when I last saw it listed the 68 at 500 +, and came 5 starred. Most of the Grange can be found in the basement of the wine shop in the main street of Katoomba. From about 1954, he had the lot, some in group (several of the one year). I can't recall precisely now but I think the 1960 was top rated at about 1100 AUD per bottle.

We should have a topic on alcohol for the consciously erudite just to discuss the relative merits of Grange over Hill of Grace.

Also speaking of Aus Reds, there was a thing called Jamison's Run, which used to give me a hard-on at about $6 per bottle in the 90's. Lovely quaffing drop and superbly affordable. Favourite table drop back then. Seaview Cab-Sav was a good varietal. Cheap and very very good.

Was interested to see a bottle of French Red in the frig as part of the minibar at Big Snake Guesthouse. Minibar price was 380 Baht. Now that is a decent price for a relatively good bottle to share with friends around their pool. Would have liked to see some wine glasses to go with it, so we could have been piss-elegant, but alas had to go with glass tumblers. Still a nice drop but not the look don't you think Penelope Dear?

All prices in AUD by the way people, except the one in baht, which is more recent.

:o

MY Step father used to work at Seaview untill it was bought out. I have many good memories of school holidays spent there, working around the place doing all sorts of jobs. You may have even had a bottle of Cab Sav that I labelled and capped.

Maybe we should start another thread relating more to the point.

I suppose it would be churlish of me to point out that Hill of Grace is the Worlds finest Table Wine. Penfolds Grange Hermitage is the Premier wine, bar none.

Interesting how we went from one guy discussing week-long watification and end up discussing good reds.

Hentsche's Hill of Grace and Mt.Edelston..the best.. and only if we could afford it :o

It's a pity Old Man Henstsche wasn't around to enjoy it himself...from memory, he got topped by his wife.

Guest IT Manager

Hentsche's Hill of Grace and Mt.Edelston..the best.. and only if we could afford it :o

It's a pity Old Man Henstsche wasn't around to enjoy it himself...from memory, he got topped by his wife.

Back then a Hill of Grace was about $15-20 AUD and Edelstone slightly less. 2 friends and I used to buy a case every 3 months and share them. Wine club hadthem once.

Ahhhh mammaries are made of this.

Back then a Hill of Grace was about $15-20 AUD and Edelstone slightly less. 2 friends and I used to buy a case every 3 months and share them. Wine club hadthem once.

Ahhhh mammaries are made of this.

Looks like you, me and Bronco are originally from South Australia!

Still here in process of setting up over there. The Gentleman is from here too. Someone was talking about crabs in another post just went out this morning and got a feed of "Blueys" off Glenelg jetty.

Where are you thinking of settling?

I remember the days when I was a copper at Two Wells and the crabs we used to get a Port Gawler...12 dozen in an hour!...bet that's all finished now.

Those days are gone unfortunately too many people just catch everything. I just about had to throw the missus in the drink this morning we brought up a big female with eggs and she was gonna keep it. She doesnt like throwing anything back. They are gonna raise the KG whiting size again to be 35cm.

We got a house just out of Khonkaen, so gonna set it properly with all mod cons over next few years. Have got step son over here so want him in Uni at least b4 we come back permanent. Ideally what I want is summer here and winter there.

I don't know which subject to reply to .....

First the Aussie wine. I have found that they are producing great wines. I prefer the reds and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some labels that are sold at the stores in Thailand. I am a big fan of some of the South African and Chilean and I am really disappointed with the French. It seems they are dumping the the stuff worldwide without any concern for quality. I also like the small wineries from Napa, Sonoma, etc. areas of Northern California but alas the crap that is sold here is overpriced and generally is what the street winos drink. So, I gather Aussie wines are closer to transport so would love to hear some moderately price wine recommendations that are sold here in LOS.

Back to the monk business. You should pick up the handbook on wats in Thailand. You can buy one everywhere. I got mine in Bangkok. However, I noticed that foreigners have to jump through a few hoops. If I remember correctly one is a letter from your embassy, maybe a medical check, and most importantly permission from the abbot. Most of the wats in Issarn seem to be very strict and the international run wats require men to be an apprentice for up to one year! Afterwards they can become a monk.

The biggest obstacle is to find a wat that has monks that speak English. There are a few but you will need to contact them as many seem to be on trips from time to time. I really like the Wat Umong (the one near the forest not downtown)in Chiang Mai because it is not strict. You cannot become a monk but they will allow you to go on a retreat. The time is up to you and you can stay at a kuti and meditate to your hearts desire. There is an Australian monk there but he is very introverted and quite busy. The place is more of a place to reflect on your own.

Anyway, good luck. Personally, I don't think you will get much experience out of becoming a monk for 1 week if an abbot allows you. Most Thais do it for at least 3 months. And keep in mind they have been versed and taught about Buddist teaching all of their lives. So I think it would be much better to study a bit first. Go on a few retreats, do daily meditations, visit wats, read up on behavior, and study the precepts.

Oh, regarding the being married. Your wife has to give you permission to become a monk. The abbot will ask you if you have her permission. I would be more than happy to point you in the direction of good reading material if you are really interested. I must point out that it is very difficult for people brought up in western cultures to adapt! Not impossible but difficult.

:o For the last few months i have been reading a few books by thich nhat hanh,a vietnamese zen master.

I know its not theravada but the basic teachings are the same,gotta say its really helping me to understand a lot.

Any other reading you can suggest would be great.

Thxs for the advice.