Over Weight In Singapore

RioMist

I have just returned from Manila via Singapore/ Phuket.

On my outward journey I checked in at Phuket with no problems. If they noticed I was overweight at check in they didn't seem to care as nothing was said about overweight and no charge was made.

A different story in Singapore for my onward journey to Manila. 4 kilo overweight they said. I was shocked when they told me it's $50 Singapore dollars per kilo. That's 2000 baht for 4 kilo. Well I don't know the actual cost to the airline to lift my extra 4 kilos into the sky but I know it's nothing like 2000 bath!

So just a warning if you are flying budget airlines in Singapore be careful about overweight! They also weigh your hand luggage when you enter departure terminal.. only 7 kilo allowed there.

The checkin crew can let it slide if they want to without come back to them, it has happened to me many times, a few kilos here and there, I have never had to pay, but it looks like they are really hot on it a Singapore!

Was the checkin crew subcontracted out? I mean were they in the Airlines uniform or just randoms, if randoms then I think the company of the check in crew get a good cut from the amount charged.

Edited by colinthailand20005

Did you collect your baggage and then check-in again?

If this wasn't the case, I'm curious how they flagged you that you were overweight. Did they just page you and have you come to the counter to pay?

And if you did have to collect your baggage and check-in again, then I'd like to know what airline so I will never take them.

:rolleyes:

As you probaly know by IATA rules the rate for passengers with excess (overwieght) luggage is set at 1 percent of a first class fare per Kilo.

The airlines have a right to impose that fee, but often they don't. Sometimes they must however, due to passenger/baggage/and fuel safety requirements for long haul flights.

It's not what it "costs"the airline to carry your bags...that really means nothing. What is important to the airlines is that they MUST by regulation have the required fuel safety standards just in case they have to circle and wait to land at their destination airport for any reason.

Every gallon of fuel they need for the flight has wieght and that reduces the amount of revenue paying passengers thay can profitably carry. Overwieght baggage doesn't pay a fare, it's the passengers who do, and the airlines are in their business to make a profit.

The problem starts where short-haul flights (i.e. from Phuket to Singapore) have passengers continuing on to Europe for example. Those bags that were overwieght in Phuket may be ignored due to the fact that combined passenger load and baggage wieght on the short flight from Phuket to Singapore can be handled by the airline by adding a little fuel. But on a long haul flight to Europe fuel is critical and they must meet those fuel safety requirements...they can be fined severely if they deliberately violate them.

The upshot is...if you are a passenger getting on a long haul flight, and your baggage is overwieght, you must pay a sircharge to help compensate the airline for the extra fuel or the passenger(s) that can't fly on that long haul flight due to the combined wieght of passenger's baggage.

The airlines are perfectly aware that you as the passenger don't like to pay this overwieght baggage fee, but it is mandated by the IATA fuel safety rules. For that reason they have to charge it to you, and you have to pay it to fly on that flight.

:jap:

Most infrequent travelers do not recognize the benefits of checking all your luggage through all your interim airports, to your final destination, at the embarkation airport; which means you do not collect any of your luggage until you arrive at your final destination.

I was often way overweight flying from LAX or SFT, more often than not, additional charges were not levied. I was grateful for all those who used their personal judgement.

As for S'pore, they are mostly under Chinese, Britist and Malay influences from wayback during my friend Mr. Lee's ironclad rule. If you remember a teenager named Michael Fay (?), it stirred up emotion of the whole world but

S'pore was unmoved and danced to her own rhythm different from the rest, she decided to cane the youngster any way.

S'pore is well governed and highly organized with discipline and all.

Don't mind for Thailand to have some of those qualities, so there perhaps would be some public canning of many ministers convicted of grafts and frauds.... anyone can dream, no? :jap:

OP, Ta for that.

We are flying AKL_SIN_MNL, in 4 days.

JetStar, cheapies......LOL

Mind you we will only have cabin baggage, 7kgs each, heaps.

We travel lite, very lite, but will make sure we are OK.

I normally wear a volumous jacket, heavyarticles stuffed in pockets, missus, ditto.

Many years travelling AirAsia We used one bag, under 15kgs, never a prob if ever over.

Once at Swampy, the check in giel asked If I would like to take 2 kgs out.

No prob, just carried in handbags....AirAsia staff.

Did you collect your baggage and then check-in again?

If this wasn't the case, I'm curious how they flagged you that you were overweight. Did they just page you and have you come to the counter to pay?

And if you did have to collect your baggage and check-in again, then I'd like to know what airline so I will never take them.

We collected our baggage from the Budget Terminal after our flight from Phuket. Then we had to check in again for our flight to Manila. It seems to me that it does not matter which airline you are with, the standard charge seems to apply. The check in staff in Singapore don't appear to be airline staff but work for the Terminal. I maybe wrong but the check in staff did not wear airline uniforms. After you check in you are given a overweight ticket where you have to go to another counter which is just for overweight fines. They issue you with your boarding pass after you have paid the fine. There are warning signs at every check in counter so it seems to apply to all airlines using the budget terminal.

The OP did not mention what (which?) airline he was flying.

Flew Air Asia out of Udon two weeks ago, paid for 20kgs, had 21.250 on the balance.

Needed to retrieve jacket from luggage to get weight down to 20.150

It was a warm day and did not need the jacket, total weight plane was the same with/without jacket in bag or on passengers shoulder :blink:

I just booked business class on Thai for my return flight two weeks from now.

Will carry approx 50kgs, very much doubt they will say something.

If however they would charge me for overweight I will take out two postal boxes, approx weight 15kgs and mail them at the departures hall post office for 150 baht each :whistling:

Edited by tartempion