Yingluck's Big Week

webfact

"unanimously"

This means no one dared go against the liege lords wishes publicly. All in favor raise your hand. Ok good, you've all been counted in, no need to ask for the Nay votes.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So where is the rest of the list?

Is anyone going to publish the complete list? Or have they not released it?

Ex-PM Thaksin's sister is Thai opposition's PM candidate

BANGKOK, May 16, 2011 (AFP) - Yingluck Shinawatra, sister of fugitive Thai ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, on Monday said she would run as the main opposition party's candidate for premier in July's election.

Her nomination by the Puea Thai party makes her the first woman to run for Thailand's top political job.

"I am ready to fight according to the rules and I ask for the opportunity to prove myself. I ask for your trust as you used to trust my brother," she told a party meeting in Bangkok, attended by reporters.

Although he lives abroad to escape a jail term for graft, Thaksin -- who was ousted in a 2006 coup -- is widely considered to be the de facto leader of the Puea Thai party.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-16

So where is the rest of the list?

Is anyone going to publish the complete list? Or have they not released it?

I think she is the only one on the list (for PM). It seems anyone else doesn't really matter.

Edited by hyperdimension

The first absurd statement from the Bird Flu Cover-up Minister:

barred party executive Sudarat Keyuraphan said she believed a female prime minister would have an innate ability to foster compromise and reconciliation.

What is the genetic chromosome that determines "compromise and reconciliation"? To say that females are innately better at it than males is absurd and sexist.

Not sure if you got the memo, but in this country it's still not against the law to admit that men and women bring unique qualities that are both valuable, yet different. But yes, if this was Manhattan then a statement like the above people would tend to avoid to make in public.

A statement need not be against the law to be absurd. There is no such thing as sexually divided human qualities, such as the cited "compromise", to where one sex is born with a better ability to fulfill that quality than the other sex.

If your contention is that there is, I'd encourage you to write a paper on your ground-breaking research and results.

Out of curiosity, this is the second time you've given her the title 'Bird Flu Cover-up Minister'. Were you around during the bird flu hype? You do realize that it all amounted to nothing, with fewer people dying than from any seasonal flu in any given year? Not that I want to debate this here, but 'cover up'.. you mean there are a million bird flu victims buried somewhere? In that case do tell. If not, then let's drop this angle.

If you are unfamiliar with her role during the bird flu crisis, I would suggest research in that area after your Human Quality Determined By Sex paper is published.

Edited by Buchholz

Puea Thai unanimously select Yingluck, sister of fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin, as top party-listed candidate,candidate by default for PM in election

Upon my soul !!! What a surprise.

Whose lips will be moving when the wench speaks I wonder ?

The second absurd statement from her:

Sudarat also dismissed speculation that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would evade a jail term if Pheu Thai Party won a landslide victory, saying everyone was equal under the law.

Does anyone really belief that is the case? That if PTP wins, Thaksin will still go to prison when he returns. Go ahead, pull the other leg.

That you don't believe it does not make it an absurd statement. What she said was that the rule of law will still run it's course, when asked if her brother would earn himself a get-out-of-jail free pass. Feel free to speculate on the future, but as a statement it's not absurd. (You could make a more valid point that it WOULD be absured if she was advocating a pardon for Thaksin. Then you may have a case.)

So instead of calling her statements absurd, perhaps it's just that you don't like her party, and have a different view of the future if she does become the first female Thai PM? If that's the case then just say so.

It's not a matter of my not believing her. Does anybody, other than yourself, believe it? It's even been bantered about as a Pheu Thai Party policy to exonerate Thaksin when he returns.

btw, you're confusing the 2 women in the article.

It wasn't Yingluck that said the above about "her brother", it was Sudarat.

Taksin's her brother, not her father.

During her testimony in the assets seizure case, she stated with teary eyes that Thaksin was like a father to her (i.e. like a sugar daddy).

She looks young enough to be his daughter.. I lub her! My Darling...

At 44 next month, she may well be old enough to be your mother.

Thaksin's sister Yingluck has been voted unanimously by Pheu Thai as No 1 party-list MP candidate. /via@ThaiElection11

Of course it was unanimous. No one wants to get banned at this point in time for going against the boss

Thaksin Banned Two Pheu Thai MPs

Ousted Thai leader's sister named PM candidate

BANGKOK - Thailand's main opposition party has nominated the sister of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as its candidate for the country's top post in upcoming elections.

Yingluck Shinawatra is seen as a stand-in for Thaksin and her candidacy is expected to further inflame election tensions.

Continues:

http://www.wfmj.com/story/14650004/ousted-thai-leaders-sister-named-pm-candidate

Yingluck thanks Pheu Thai members for highlighting her PM candidate

Yingluck Shinawatra, a sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, thanked members of the Pheu Thai Party for putting her at the top of the list of candidates for the party proportional voting on Monday.

"I would like to thank the Pheu Thai members for valuing and trusting me. I'll be ready to carry out this duty. But I would like all sides to turn to cooperate and stop harboring grudge," Yingluck said.

Being No-1 party-list candidate of the Pheu Thai, Yingluck is see as the direct challenger for the post of prime minister against incumbent PM Abhisit Vejjajiva.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-16

Yingluck: Thanks for giving me a chance to join the party. I vow to follow in my brother (Thaksin)'s footsteps /via@tukky_nt

Straight to exile? OK.

Why not go early and beat the post election rush.

Edited by animatic

Taksin's her brother, not her father.

During her testimony in the assets seizure case, she stated with teary eyes that Thaksin was like a father to her (i.e. like a sugar daddy).

Best facelifts money can buy?

Interesting ABAC poll, this time the Dem's will clearly win. Between now and the elections we'll probably see polls with results swinging back and forth wildly. Most likely in the spirit of reconciliation giving all parties equal chances of winning (in a poll) :-)

Hammered always points out (rightly) that the only reliable polls on politics seem to come from the military and that they are quite accurate .... Other than using them as a talking point I don't think anyone takes the ABAC or Suan Dusit polls seriously.

A source said Yingluck would attend a general meeting today of the party executive board, which will recommend only one name - her's - for the No 1 slot on the party-list.

She will be democratically elected afterall.

The PTP members can vote for Yingluck or ... not vote for Yingluck.

I find it most curious that the polls too often include less than 3000 people in 17 provinces. What are the 17 provinces? There may be a clue there demographically showing selective attitude and mindset.

The first thing you have to see is the survey instrument. You can guide respondents to forgone conclusions by how you design the questionnaire. The second thing to view is the polling agency. Here is who ABAC say they serve:

Some of the ABAC Poll's clients include: The Ministry of Public Health, The Office of Thai Health Promotion, The Office of the Prime Minister, The Office of National Health System Reform, The Office of the Narcotics Control Board, The Ministry of Justice, The Ministry of Finance, The Bank of Government Housing, other nondisclosable private companies, and domestic and international news/media agencies.

It would appear that ABAC works for the status quo. Isn't the third client the PM office? Yep, that would be status quo.

Absent the survey instrument to evaluate, we have to take the director of ABAC, Dr. Noppadon, in his own words:

Information is collected by means of standardized procedures so that every individual is asked the same questions in more or less the same way.

Okay then, which is it, more or less? How can a survey have multiple ways of polling participants and be considered credible?

I am sort of new to following the ongoing drama that is Thai politics. Can anyone point me to a brief history of the whole Thaksin thing? It's not often you see a guy who inspires such strong feelings for and against.

Yingluck: Thanks for giving me a chance to join the party. I vow to follow in my brother (Thaksin)'s footsteps /via@tukky_nt

So she's going to go on the run? :ph34r:

Pretty scary though really.

She's going to follow her big brother? Steal a few billion, kill a few thousand, and then flee to avoid a jail sentance. Sounds like business at usual in Shinwatra Land.

Anyone actually think Thais (the majority) are enlighten enough to elect a woman PM?

Best facelifts money can buy?

Not wishing to rain further on kathukid's budding romance, but the other paper in their profile of her today lists her as married and with a son.

Her husband is Anusorn Amornchat. He is the President of M-Link Asia,

M-Link Asia Corporation Public Company Limited, together with its subsidiaries, operates as a sales agent for mobile phones and accessories, as well as provides repair services to distributors in Thailand. It also franchises for repair, distribution, agencies, and representative services. In addition, the company involves in the project tender business in the government and private sectors.

Bloomberg

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=MLINK:TB

The Chairman of the Board for M-Link Asia is Yingluck and Thaksin's sister, Monthatip.

The Executive Vice-President for M-Link Asia is Yingluck and Thaksin's nephew (and the son of banned ex-PM Somchai and banned ex-TRT MP Yaowapa and brother of currently facing a banning PTP MP Chinnicha), Yodchanan.

The above is just an example of how interwoven the Shinawatra/Damapong/Wongsawat clans are. Makes for interesting reading come the time she files her required asset declaration statement.

Additionally, if Yingluck does get elected, it'll be interesting to watch how her husband and her sister's company does with their, to quote Bloomberg, "project tender business in the government sector."

Yingluck vows to solve national problems without retaliation

BANGKOK, 16 May 2011 (NNT) – Ms Yingluck Shinawatra has pledged to work towards national reconciliation and to not retaliate against anyone after being nominated by the Pheu Thai Party as its prime minister candidate.

As the front-running party-list MP candidate of Pheu Thai with a chance to become the next premier, Ms Yingluck made her address to the party, saying she was honored to represent it in the upcoming election and was prepared for her duty. She also voiced confidence that the party’s policies would be effective in responding to people’s needs.

The younger sister of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra promised to work hard for the nation and to encourage unity and reconciliation while confirming that no political vendetta was in the plan.

Despite being a female candidate, she insisted that her femininity would be used to her advantage in pushing the country forward.

At the end of her speech, Ms Yingluck received a standing ovation from her colleagues.

Former Pheu Thai Party Chief MP Police Captain Chalerm Yubamrung expressed delight over the party’s nomination of Ms Yingluck as its contender for the prime minister seat, citing her capabilities and expertise in the business area.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-16 footer_n.gif

Yingluck vows to solve national problems without retaliation

BANGKOK, 16 May 2011 (NNT) – Ms Yingluck Shinawatra has pledged to work towards national reconciliation and to not retaliate against anyone after being nominated by the Pheu Thai Party as its prime minister candidate.

As the front-running party-list MP candidate of Pheu Thai with a chance to become the next premier, Ms Yingluck made her address to the party, saying she was honored to represent it in the upcoming election and was prepared for her duty. She also voiced confidence that the party's policies would be effective in responding to people's needs.

The younger sister of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra promised to work hard for the nation and to encourage unity and reconciliation while confirming that no political vendetta was in the plan.

Despite being a female candidate, she insisted that her femininity would be used to her advantage in pushing the country forward.

At the end of her speech, Ms Yingluck received a standing ovation from her colleagues.

Former Pheu Thai Party Chief MP Police Captain Chalerm Yubamrung expressed delight over the party's nomination of Ms Yingluck as its contender for the prime minister seat, citing her capabilities and expertise in the business area.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-16 footer_n.gif

No she won't be in charge of, nor informed of the workings of the Department of Retaliation,

they have other harder stock to run that section of Thaksin Inc, Government Control Subsidy.

"unanimously"

This means no one dared go against the liege lords wishes publicly. All in favor raise your hand. Ok good, you've all been counted in, no need to ask for the Nay votes.

please i've noted that you don't like k.Thaksin,but stop writin' nonsense, if the most of the people of PTP don't like her , she has noway of becoming the formal candidate, otherwise k.Thaksin can lose many partymembers.:ermm: