Visa, Work Permit Etc. Processed By The School

Hello,

I'm 29 years old, I come from Poland.

I've jest started my new job as a teacher in Bangkok. The school is supposed to process all the required documents. Can anybody tell what are the steps of this process, who should pay the fees and how long does it usually take?

They asked me to go for a visa run and get a 60 days tourist visa (they didn't have the documents for the non B one ready). Form what I understand now they want to get me a work permit, change the visa to a non B 90 days, single entry and than extend this one to one year with "re-entry" permits each time I want to leave the country.

I wonder if I really need to get the 90 days one or if I can go straight to one year extension. This is what I've read on this forum:

"Note 3: If you are in possession of a valid tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp and qualify for extension of stay and plan on doing so, you may be permitted to change to a non-immigrant visa at an immigration office inside Thailand. This change of 'status' has certain restrictions depending on your particular circumstances therefore you should check with an immigration officer first. "

One more thing – they tell me I'll have to attend a Thai cultural training, 3 days, and I have to pay for it. Is this alright?

Best regards,

MK

Edited by MaciejKlimowicz

Who pays for what depends on what you agree with your employer. That includes the cultural course.

A Work Permit costs 3,100 and the extension of stay from immirgation 1,900 baht. It is not unusual that the employer pays for this.

You will need to convert first to a non-immirgant visa for 2,000 baht and then extend for 1 year for 1,900 baht. Sometimes they do it all at once, soemtimes you have to come back for the 1 year extension after 60 days.