Our 'Tookay' With The Pavarotti Voice

tim armstrong

Used to have monitor lizards? Hell, I've got at least 3-4 within a stone's throw of my home. And I live in a mid-sized city...one's a about as big as a car. They're not scared of people at all. Was eating at a restaurant by the khlong once, looked down, and there was one just chilling out. Scared me to death.

Tokay geckos are totally cool in my book. But, as someone mentioned, they will bite and nothing will make them let go.

Apparently dunking them in water will make them let go.. Don't think it has to be boiling either.

Why would you want to get rid of it? They're lovely animals and their 'fuc_k you' call always makes me laugh!

I speak as someone who has many around her house, and enjoy them.

Edit - Explain to the guest that its just a gekko - nothing that he needs to be afraid of.....

"Nothing that he needs to be afraid of" -- tell that to most Thai people, they'll think you've gone nuts! For some reason nobody has been able to explain to me yet, most Thais regard these great creatures as -- what, a threat? with equal disdain as for snakes?

Hmm, I like those guys; I keep counting the "rounds" and marvel at anything over 9 ;)

Why would you want to get rid of it? They're lovely animals and their 'fuc_k you' call always makes me laugh!

Edit - Explain to the guest that its just a gekko - nothing that he needs to be afraid of.....

"Nothing that he needs to be afraid of" -- tell that to most Thai people, they'll think you've gone nuts! For some reason nobody has been able to explain to me yet, most Thais regard these great creatures as -- what, a threat? with equal disdain as for snakes?

Hmm, I like those guys; I keep counting the "rounds" and marvel at anything over 9 ;)