Best Way From Bkk Airport To Pattaya At Midnight

cigar7

What's the best way (cheapest) to get to Pattaya from the BKK airport from a flight scheduled to land at 11:05 pm, the UA837 flight from Tokyo?

At that time, there should still be busses running to Pattaya. Check out the Bell Bus service schedule on the web.

According to the Bell Travel web site their last bus leaves BKK at 1800 for Pattaya ... five hours before the scheduled arrival of UA837.

The other bus (http://www.airportpattayabus.com/Coachschedule.html) shows its last departure from BKK at 2200, still too early.

So, I'd say buses are not an option, unless you want to wait around until they start running in the morning.

When I lived in Jomtien, I used to frequently fly in on that UA flight. After a long flight with such a late arrival, I would book a room at the Silver Gold Garden Hotel and take the 1000am Bell Travel bus the next morning. But, I was not a tourist on vacation, so missing that first night was no big deal. It was also cheaper than a taxi: B750 for the room plus B200 for the bus ride. I found I was much fresher arriving in Pattaya around noon after a hot shower and a good night's sleep in a bed versus getting home around 0230 or so via taxi, and still getting up around noon.

Getting out of the airport is more costly late at night, I highly recommended Mr. T's taxi service coming or going from Swampy. They'll meet you at the meeting point in the airport, and they are most likely cheaper than hailing a cab.

Getting out of the airport is more costly late at night, I highly recommended Mr. T's taxi service coming or going from Swampy. They'll meet you at the meeting point in the airport, and they are most likely cheaper than hailing a cab.

We use Mr. T's all the time. Great service. I believe the rate is 1200B including tolls. Or something like that.

I also can vouch for Mr. T's. They are trustworthy and use good cars. I also have found their drivers to be quite professional. The fee last year was 1,000 baht (tolls included) from the airport to Pattaya. Their dependability, price and cars are much better than taking a public taxi.

FYI, regardless of who you hire, make sure to have your hotel's phone number just in case the driver needs directions.

Thanks for all of the Great tips! So it looks like the options are:

1. Take a taxi, 1,000 baht minimum, and arrive at about 2 am.

2. Get a cheap room near airport(700B), which includes 2 way transport. Then take the Bell travel service from the airport(200b)next morning.

3. Take a taxi to Nana (300b), stay at hotel (1,000b - 1,600b), then take a taxi (50b) to the Ekkaimia bus station in the morning and then take bus to Pattaya (115b) and then baht bus to condo in pattaya (100b),

I do have a condo in Pattaya so no hotel charges in Pattaya.

Looks like 2 above is the cheapest.

Edited by cigar7

Just last week I flew in from USA on Delta and arrived around midnight. My "driver" didn't show up so I took a chance and went to the taxi booth. It was not busy and I told the clerk (lady) where I wanted to go...she said 1600 baht. I argued and said that I live in Pattaya, not tourist...I pay "1200 baht.... The taxi driver agreed to take 1200 baht. Sure, I have gotten a taxi for less during the day, but I was not in the mood to offer only 1000 baht after a 22 hour flight. Unfortunately the guy I got was about 75 years old and drove s l o w l y ...

We use Mr. T's all the time. Great service. I believe the rate is 1200B including tolls. Or something like that.

Mr T charges 1000baht from BKK to Patts and 900 return

Mr T charges 1000baht from BKK to Patts and 900 return

I've used Mr T's many, many, many times. Their rates change fairly frequently. At least according to my experience...best to check if you are really concerned about the rates. ;)

2. Get a cheap room near airport(700B), which includes 2 way transport. Then take the Bell travel service from the airport(200b)next morning.

FYI, I chose Silver Gold Garden hotel because they have free shuttle van to/from the airport. Most budget hotels in the area you need to take a taxi. The hotel is basic, but clean -- perfect to just shower, hit the sheets, get up in the morning and go.

I used to book the hotel via http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/silvergold/ for B750, but I just took a look at a random date later this month and it was B850 on that site now. Checking the hotel's own web site for the same date gave a rate of B720.

At that time, there should still be busses running to Pattaya. Check out the Bell Bus service schedule on the web.

According to the Bell Travel web site their last bus leaves BKK at 1800 for Pattaya ... five hours before the scheduled arrival of UA837.

The other bus (http://www.airportpattayabus.com/Coachschedule.html) shows its last departure from BKK at 2200, still too early.

So, I'd say buses are not an option, unless you want to wait around until they start running in the morning.

When I lived in Jomtien, I used to frequently fly in on that UA flight. After a long flight with such a late arrival, I would book a room at the Silver Gold Garden Hotel and take the 1000am Bell Travel bus the next morning. But, I was not a tourist on vacation, so missing that first night was no big deal. It was also cheaper than a taxi: B750 for the room plus B200 for the bus ride. I found I was much fresher arriving in Pattaya around noon after a hot shower and a good night's sleep in a bed versus getting home around 0230 or so via taxi, and still getting up around noon.

I like your way of thinking. I have done the 1 am and 2 am taxi rides. Not much to see at night. I prefer the day bus ride. Some of the plantations and greenery out the window are nice to see during the day. I try to plan my arrivals for the day time so I can take the bus. Cheaper and easier and just as fast a taxi and probably a lot more safer.

It'll be midnight B4 you get out of the airport and 2am before you get to pattaya. If you don't already have a room in pattaya reserved, why not take a 15 minute taxi to Nana ?

It's about 30 kms from Suvarnabhumi to Nana, even a Bangkok taxi is going to have to go some to make that journey in 15 minutes :rolleyes:

The other bus (http://www.airportpa...chschedule.html) shows its last departure from BKK at 2200, still too early.

It amazes me what people will do to avoid jumping into a taxi.

In answer to the OP's question: A taxi or private car is the best way from Bkk Airport to Pattaya at midnight and at any other time.

If the question was - what is the cheapest way? - I could suggest sleeping at the airport and taking an early bus trip which is probably around 8am. You will save a night's accommodation too,.

You can book private cars to pick you up for around 1000 baht.

It amazes me what people will do to avoid jumping into a taxi.

Indeed especially after a long, and probably expensive, flight.

I had the same thoughts,

Local Hotel Option

- Leave arrivals and try to find hotel shuttle, probably having to call them and hang around waiting for it

- Transfer to hotel in minibus and hotel check-in, passport, deposit, etc.

- Checkout in morning and minibus back to airport again

- Wander about looking for bus ticket

- Bus ride to Pattaya

- Transfer to baht bus to condo

Pre booked taxi Option

- Leave arrivals and be met by driver who will take luggage to car

- Sit for 90 minutes in back of decent car, bottle of water, snooze, send sms's "I'm here..."

- Get dropped at your condo

....but of course the first option might save 200 baht....

....but of course the first option might save 200 baht....

I don't think it does. He mentioned the room will cost 750 and the bus ride 200. Add to that the baht bus to hotel and it would probably add up to more than 1000 baht, the price I pay for a new car pick up with a good driver. I'll arrive at around 2am whereas the bus will arrive in at the Pattaya bus station sometime around noon in the the blazing midday sun followed by an uncomfortable baht bus ride.

Edited by tropo

It'll be midnight B4 you get out of the airport and 2am before you get to pattaya. If you don't already have a room in pattaya reserved, why not take a 15 minute taxi to Nana ?

What's the attraction with Nana?

to be fair option 2 does save 100 baht, but omits the cost of travel from bus station to condo. its a no brainer for me every time aircon taxi, airport car park to house, ice cold drinks awaiting in the pre booked taxi, 800 baht. not even have to touch luggage. good drivers, newish cars.

Add to that the baht bus to hotel and it would probably add up to more than 1000 baht, the price I pay for a new car pick up with a good driver.

Hmmm. I thought I had mentioned that one reason I chose Silver Gold Garden was the free shuttle van to/from the airport.

to be fair option 2 does save 100 baht, but omits the cost of travel from bus station to condo.

Bell Travel will drop you off at your hotel or condo in Pattaya/Jomtien.

For me, a typical trip home from visiting family begins with a 2-3 hour drive to LAX airport, then 12 hours LAX to NRT (Tokyo), a short wait, then a 6-7 hour flight to BKK, arriving near midnight. I really appreciate the opportunity to break the journey, head to a hotel to take a hot shower an hit the bed for a good night's sleep and then continue my journey in the morning. That's simply my preference and choice.

Someone else feels the need to make an immediate beeline home for their own reasons, that's fine. I just prefer to break the journey and not extend that day any longer than it already is.

The way I look at it: continue the journey immediately upon landing in BKK and arrive home around 0230 or 0300, take a shower, go to bed and wake up around 1100 or 1130. Or, as an alternate arrive home via Bell Travel around 1200 or 1230. So, I basically start my day at home only an hour later.

It really has nothing to do with avoiding a taxi, or even about saving money. It's a bonus that it's about the same price. I happen to feel more comfortable on the bus, as well. Just my preference. Please don't make sarcastic comments and judgments. I'm not forcing anyone to do what I do, I just share it as an alternative to consider.

to be fair option 2 does save 100 baht, but omits the cost of travel from bus station to condo. its a no brainer for me every time aircon taxi, airport car park to house, ice cold drinks awaiting in the pre booked taxi, 800 baht. not even have to touch luggage. good drivers, newish cars.

800 baht for prebooked taxi from the airport replete with cold drinks. Furnish us with the details. :whistling:

No brainer? That is what I think of that particular phrase.

Some like to enjoy the journey, as it too is a part of the lives. Perhaps rushing to the destination is your priority, but don't imagine everyone is just like you.

I like to fly with Etihad on the way to Asia. Enjoy utilising the lounge in Abu Dhabi. The free massage, a decent meal. Feeling most refreshed for the next leg of the journey.

Do I feel as if I've lost time because my journey takes a little longer than someone who took a direct flight?

No, because I feel good. ;)

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Add to that the baht bus to hotel and it would probably add up to more than 1000 baht, the price I pay for a new car pick up with a good driver.

Hmmm. I thought I had mentioned that one reason I chose Silver Gold Garden was the free shuttle van to/from the airport.

I was referring to transport from the bus station to your hotel or residence in Pattaya, but you mentioned that Bell drops you off for free, so you do save 50 baht taking the bus over the taxi. Certainly a Bell drop off can be a long painful process depending on where you live and not worth the 50 baht saving.

Perhaps your airport hotel idea to relax before heading for Pattaya would have had some merit in the old Don Muang days, but after midnight you can do the journey in an hour. This is easily done at that time of night.

Edited by tropo

What's the attraction with Nana?

It's kinda like Pattaya without all the walking. If you are anything like your signature I think the Rainbow Group and others at NEP are just up your alley.

I have not tried the airport hotel option, however, I will consider it for future trips.

The OP has a condo in Pattaya. In that situation, I would just take a taxi. Avoid the two airport transfers and straight to condo, without taking the Bell bus transfer minibus in Pattaya. The only downside is it takes an extra hour or so to get to bed. Costs are about equal, because he does not need to pay for a room in Pattaya.

In my case, I need to pay for a room in Pattaya. After about 20-24 hours flying from the USA, getting into bed an hour quicker in an airport hotel, does sound nice. Arrive in Pattaya refreshed, about noon the next day on the Bell bus. Also, no problem with late night arrival if staying in a Pattaya guest house or condo, without 24 hr reception. At the airport, not tempted by late night, jet lagged, Pattaya nightlife. This could be a plus or a minus.

1. Taxi (1,100 baht) plus hotel in Pattaya, (call it 750 baht, same at airport hotel). Total 1,850 baht.

2. Airport hotel, (750 baht) plus Bell bus, (200 baht). Total 950 baht.

Edited by Yknot