Orphanage In Sangklaburi ? Is It A Cult ?

callipposhots

I've been chatting to a Thai woman on the web recently, and she posted me the website of an orphanage in Sangklaburi, which is in the link below.

While I'm encouraged by a born and bred Bangkokian taking an interest in the welfare of poorer Thai and other children, I've a feeling this place isn't all its cracked up to be.

I may very well be mistaken, but I think this is the same place I visited about 15 months ago. It looks great from the website, but several people staying in the Burmese Inn nearby said the place was run by a cult, based in the US, that had actually been banned from operating in the State of Nevada, if I remember rightly. They were also said to have run into problems in India.

There was talk that a lot of the orphans weren't orphans, but were in fact given away by their desperately poor Thai and ethnic minority parents, in the hope of improving their chances in life.

The regime seemed pretty draconian to me. Up at 5, Yoga, chanting, strictly Vegan - seemed a bit doctrinaire to say the least.

The owner of the Burmese Inn refused to take their flyers to display in the guesthouse - he took a dim view of them, and as a former fairly high ranking UN official his opinion maybe shouldn't be dismissed. He must have seen all sorts of bent charity and aid organizations in his time.

Can anybody fill me in with some more information about these ? What is the organization that they are a part of ?

Here's the website of the place.

I've been chatting to a Thai woman on the web recently, and she posted me the website of an orphanage in Sangklaburi, which is in the link below.

While I'm encouraged by a born and bred Bangkokian taking an interest in the welfare of poorer Thai and other children, I've a feeling this place isn't all its cracked up to be.

I may very well be mistaken, but I think this is the same place I visited about 15 months ago. It looks great from the website, but several people staying in the Burmese Inn nearby said the place was run by a cult, based in the US, that had actually been banned from operating in the State of Nevada, if I remember rightly. They were also said to have run into problems in India.

There was talk that a lot of the orphans weren't orphans, but were in fact given away by their desperately poor Thai and ethnic minority parents, in the hope of improving their chances in life.

The regime seemed pretty draconian to me. Up at 5, Yoga, chanting, strictly Vegan - seemed a bit doctrinaire to say the least.

The owner of the Burmese Inn refused to take their flyers to display in the guesthouse - he took a dim view of them, and as a former fairly high ranking UN official his opinion maybe shouldn't be dismissed. He must have seen all sorts of bent charity and aid organizations in his time.

Can anybody fill me in with some more information about these ? What is the organization that they are a part of ?

Here's the website of the place.

And just where is your evidence for the allegations you make in this posting?

I am extremely sceptical about first time posters who post in the fashion in which you do.

Just who are you that we should accept what you write in such a manner?

I strongly suspect a personal vendetta, lies at the bottom of this posting.

Prove me wrong.

Well, if the UN doesn't like it....... it mustn't be to bad of a place at all! All the UN is concerned is how they can line their personal pockets, not what is good for the people. :D

And the fact that they were banned in the State of Nevada isn't saying very much.... Mormon State with Mormon law makers...... maybe this group didn't particularly want to espouse the Mormon Doctrine...... :D

And the locals don't like the yogga chanting, maybe. Probably sounds too much like the local temple! :o

When they start teaching about alien invasion, mixing "Special" drinks and hourding weapons, then I would raise the flag. :D

And so what that some of the children are not technically orphans, there are many Christian boarding schools in the North, who bring in chidren and educate them to try and stop the chain of poverty, so what's the problem? :D

Give it a rest........ there are other issues to spend your time worrying about, not this one! :D

I have never heard of the Whispering Seed Foundation. This orphanage does not appear, on the surface, to be the same organization that runs a few suspect orphanges up north under the YWAM banner, which has been called a cult by some detractors. And I can find no reference to any Christian Evangelical groups on the main website, which, as Martha Stewart would say, is a good thing. One of there reference pages refers to books written by respected progressive educators.

It is important to ask questions when visiting these places, especially whether the chidren are actually orphans or not. Due to the etended families of most hill groups, it would be rare for Thai based orphans not to find homes with blood relatives, apart from Akha twins. Of course refugees from the holocaust in Burma may very well be true orphans. Along the Burmese border the Karen orphans should have been processed through the Karen relief groups such as Dr. Cynthia's clinic.

But on first glance this place looks pretty legit.

Well, if the UN doesn't like it....... it mustn't be to bad of a place at all! All the UN is concerned is how they can line their personal pockets, not what is good for the people.  :D

And the fact that they were banned in the State of Nevada isn't saying very much.... Mormon State with Mormon law makers...... maybe this group didn't particularly want to espouse the Mormon Doctrine......  :D 

And the locals don't like the yogga chanting, maybe. Probably sounds too much like the local temple!  :o

When they start teaching about alien invasion, mixing "Special" drinks and hourding weapons, then I would raise the flag.  :D

And so what that some of the children are not technically orphans, there are many Christian boarding schools in the North, who bring in chidren and educate them to try and stop the chain of poverty, so what's the problem?  :D

Give it a rest........ there are other issues to spend your time worrying about, not this one!  :D

I was always under the impression that UTAH was the Morman state. If the Mormans are now legalizing prostution like in Nevada, I may convert.

Tallthai

Nevada is a Mormon State also, complete with its' own Temple. 90 % of the politicians are Mormon.

As to the prositution, well they are legal, unless you are in Clark County or Washo County. Prositution is not addressed in the State Constitution, so it is there by the Old Grandfather Clause I guess, alot like no open container law on State Roads!

Nevada is a Mormon State also, complete with its' own Temple. 90 % of the politicians are Mormon.

As to the prositution, well they are legal, unless you are in Clark County or Washo County. Prositution is not addressed in the State Constitution, so it is there by the Old Grandfather Clause I guess, alot like no open container law on State Roads!

According to the census bureau:

The religious affiliations of the people of Nevada are:

* Christian – 78%

o Protestant – 44%

+ Baptist – 15%

+ Methodist – 5%

+ Lutheran – 3%

+ Other Protestant – 21%

o Roman Catholic – 24%

o Mormon – 9%

o Other Christian – 1%

* Other Religions – 2%

* Non-Religious – 20%

9% makes it a Mormon state? Also, many states have temples. Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio to name just a few. And just as an FYI, according to the LDS website, the Las Vegas temple has closed.

* Christian – 78%

o Protestant – 44%

+ Baptist – 15%

+ Methodist – 5%

+ Lutheran – 3%

+ Other Protestant – 21%

o Roman Catholic – 24%

o Mormon – 9%

o Other Christian – 1%

* Other Religions – 2%

* Non-Religious – 20%

9% makes it a Mormon state? Also, many states have temples. Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio to name just a few. And just as an FYI, according to the LDS website, the Las Vegas temple has closed.

There are some radical Mormons living in Nevada...polygamists...that have received a certain amount of press so maybe that's where the connction came from.....anyway....do we even know for sure if they really are banned in Nevada or is it just a rumor....HELLO callipposhots are you still there? if so how did you find out that they were banned in Nevada?

Edit: I just popped out and found out that this is the only post that calliposhot has made....its probably all bs.

Edited by chownah

* Christian – 78%

o Protestant – 44%

+ Baptist – 15%

+ Methodist – 5%

+ Lutheran – 3%

+ Other Protestant – 21%

o Roman Catholic – 24%

o Mormon – 9%

o Other Christian – 1%

* Other Religions – 2%

* Non-Religious – 20%

There are some radical Mormons living in Nevada...polygamists...that have received a certain amount of press so maybe that's where the connction came from.....anyway....do we even know for sure if they really are banned in Nevada or is it just a rumor....HELLO callipposhots are you still there? if so how did you find out that they were banned in Nevada?

Edit: I just popped out and found out that this is the only post that calliposhot has made....its probably all bs.

Agreed Chownah, the OP has only posted this one time, frankly it seems to be someone with a grudge to me and since noone really has anything more to add and the OP is clearly no longer interested the topic is closed