I Need Urgent Advice

YuryBalyasnikov

math is not my strong suit but here ya go anyway

I have one 18,000 btu airconditioner

5.3 kwh

if it were old it probably would runfull during high heat and humidity especially since my place has old windows and no insulation above the ceiling.

5 kwh = 5 X 3.5 (govt rate) = 17.5 baht per hour the A/C is on

17.5 X 8 hours = 140 baht per day

140 baht X 30 days = 4,200 baht

4,200 baht per month for only one air conditioner at the government rate of 3.5 baht per kwh

the 5.3 kwh is from Daikens website and is also labeled to the unit.

FT50FVM / R50BV1

Cooling

5.30 kW, 18,090 Btu/h

is my math correct??

Just wondering for myself. May have to check my meter also.

That may be the case as long as the compressor is running, however the compressor of an aircon is not running all the time. I guess the compressor of my aircon is running around 15 minutes per hour. For the rest of the time its just the ventilator, witch is using maybe 100 watt.

However I would advice to OP to go and get a Lawyer to look into his case. There are more around then just Siam Legal.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be the case as long as the compressor is running, however the compressor of an aircon is not running all the time. I guess the compressor of my aircon is running around 15 minutes per hour. For the rest of the time its just the ventilator, witch is using maybe 100 watt.

Here is what my LG SL13 which is nearly 13,000 btu looks like over time, fan uses 20 watts and its around 900 watts with compressor running, time frame is seconds, so initial compressor run is about 6 min.

The other thing they get you on is if it were your own apartment and meter paying directly to MEA/PEA the rate is not flat 3.5 baht, its starts on about 1.5 baht and goes up as usage gets higher. But if your happy paying 7 baht at least they should read the meter right so its not 70 baht a unit.

post-46832-0-19967900-1305983481_thumb.p

Actually I am pretty sure the meter on the picture is reading in KWh, and that the fourth digit is the units, not 10th of units.

This is easy to check, though, as the calibration information is right there on the meter: 200 revs per kWh. So sit down at the meter, count 20 revolutions of the disc (the black spot comes by 20 times), that should be 0.1 kWh.

Now if the OP is right, the last number should have moved up by a full unit, but I am pretty sure it will have moved only one small division.

5.3 kwh

if it were old it probably would runfull during high heat and humidity especially since my place has old windows and no insulation above the ceiling.

4,200 baht per month for only one air conditioner at the government rate of 3.5 baht per kwh

FT50FVM / R50BV1

Cooling

5.30 kW, 18,090 Btu/h

is my math correct??

The picture of the meter meter shows that the OP has used a total of 219 Kw over the total period of several months.How they charge him up to 500 Kw a month in that case.

I assume you were also not first in line when they distributed the braincells.

Edited by bazmlb
flame removed

5.3 kwh

FT50FVM / R50BV1

Cooling

5.30 kW, 18,090 Btu/h

is my math correct??

Jeez,some people must be really blind or or just frigging dickheads.

The picture of the meter meter shows that the OP has used a total of 219 Kw over the total period of several months.How they charge him up to 500 Kw a month in that case.

that could be a fair assumption but I am not assuming the OP is being straight up here.

Just running one modern A/C 8 hours per day in a properly insulated studio apartment in mild heat and humidity can easily cost 3K baht per month for just that one appliance at the 3.5 government rate. Double that cost at 7 baht per kwh.

His costs during the hot and humid months do not seem out of whack (at 7 baht per). His lack of costs during the unusually cold high season this year are in line with the weather conditions. His unusual jump in Aprils kwh would be in line with the difference in weather tween March and April (especially for a northern European who is accostomed to extreme cold and low humidity).

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Guys, I am sorry to say that but you have totally missed the point. The OP is not disputing the rate of KW/h. He is saying that the management of the appartment is multiplying the amount consumed 10 times. And this happens because they incorrectly read the amount. When it is 109.1 for example. They read it as 1091. The author provides the fotoes where it can be seen that the amount in the bill is x10 bigger than the actual amount on the electric meter. The OP also has very strong suspecions that this is done intentionally in order to scam him and other farangs in the building. Because the management is sure that they can do nothing about it.

So he is asking for an advice of what he could do in this situation because he doesn't want to get scammed every month.

5.3 kwh

FT50FVM / R50BV1

Cooling

5.30 kW, 18,090 Btu/h

is my math correct??

Jeez,some people must be really blind or or just frigging dickheads.

that could be a fair assumption but I am not assuming the OP is being straight up here.

Just running one modern A/C 8 hours per day in a properly insulated studio apartment in mild heat and humidity can easily cost 3K baht per month for just that one appliance at the 3.5 government rate. Double that cost at 7 baht per kwh.

His costs during the hot and humid months do not seem out of whack (at 7 baht per). His lack of costs during the unusually cold high season this year are in line with the weather conditions. His unusual jump in Aprils kwh would be in line with the difference in weather tween March and April (especially for a northern European who is accostomed to extreme cold and low humidity).

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

3K a month?

Ok,I live in a 10 year old freestanding house.Isolation : Nil-Nada

Living with 2 people,fans,plasma tv's ,waterheaters and powerfull computers throughout out the house.We wake up at 6 Am and go sleep at 11 Pm.

1 Aircon in the bedroom,about 7 years old,which is used about 11 hours each day at a setting of 25 degrees ( temperature is checked with digital thermometer),which is too cold for me but the son appreciates this temp.

My average electricity bill is 1000 Baht never more than 1200 Baht.This month 983 Baht.

So now we got it why Thaifan want to get rid of his condo at Park lane at cost price but doesn't find a buyer ( or renter ) for the past 3-4 months.And that at a time that the Pattaya real estate market is in such a good health according to some real estate agents posters on this forum.

Guys, I am sorry to say that but you have totally missed the point. The OP is not disputing the rate of KW/h. He is saying that the management of the appartment is multiplying the amount consumed 10 times. And this happens because they incorrectly read the amount. When it is 109.1 for example. They read it as 1091. The author provides the fotoes where it can be seen that the amount in the bill is x10 bigger than the actual amount on the electric meter. The OP also has very strong suspecions that this is done intentionally in order to scam him and other farangs in the building. Because the management is sure that they can do nothing about it.

So he is asking for an advice of what he could do in this situation because he doesn't want to get scammed every month.

This is absolutely correct.

Darrel

I cant find anything about building committee at lobby....no idea whete to find it (

This is what i found today in the lift:

z_d873189d.jpg

Do they REALLY have a right to read and charge whatever they like?

Maybe you can ask to see the original bills from the electric company. When I was living in a condo in Jomtien the office always had the stack of original blue and white slips for each meter from the electric co which they showed me when I went to pay my bill each month. As these will show the correct number of units you will easily be able to see if they are deliberately ripping you off.

The Metropolitan Electricity Authority(MEA) adress in Pattaya anyone?

I doubt that there is an MEA office in Pattaya as this authority only covers the area around Bangkok down as far as Samut Prakan. You probably need the Provincial Electricity Authority located in Naklua Road though I can't find an actual address. This site has a location map Electric Office Location

I doubt that there is an MEA office in Pattaya as this authority only covers the area around Bangkok down as far as Samut Prakan. You probably need the Provincial Electricity Authority located in Naklua Road though I can't find an actual address. This site has a location map Electric Office Location

Thank you. I ll try to find it tommoro. I read on our russian forum that u can go there and pay directly to MEA. You can also make agreement with them to continiue paying onlyin office.

You need to have meter number and lobby bill with u.

So now we got it why Thaifan want to get rid of his condo at Park lane at cost price but doesn't find a buyer ( or renter ) for the past 3-4 months.And that at a time that the Pattaya real estate market is in such a good health according to some real estate agents posters on this forum.

Dont talk and make yourself look like a fool .I now have a renter for my Condo in Park lane .My electric bill there now comes direct from the electric company ( for 6 weeks now ) .Before that i was paying the management company 7 baht a unit and they did not overcharge as far as i know .( electric was around B2,000 a month with A/C use )

If they missread his meter ,then they did so for both readings (start and finish ),so it works out a right reading in the end .With 2 bedrooms in PL he will have 2 A/C s.He says ''In Russia - i was using 60-100 kWt/month maximum.'' This means nothing as he would not need an A/C in Russia .

Edited by Thaifan2

My electric bill there now comes direct from the electric company ( for 6 weeks now ) .Before that i was paying the management company 7 baht a unit and they did not overcharge as far as i know.

Well, they were overcharging you by the simple act of demanding 7B for something that is really just half that.

I dont really understand why anyone in that building is paying the management company directly for electricity anyway: why not just do it at 7/11 or online and pay the proper government rate? This is the sort of question that the committee should be looking at. Or maybe they are involved in the management?

Yuri. I think not a lot of people even use the 1/10 of one kwH. They only care about whole units. The billing dept in that condo are either incompetent to the point of being stupid or they are criminals.

Since they are screwing all the falangs then it looks like a con job. I sure hope you get restitution. Failing that I hope you get to pay your bill directly to P.E.A. Good luck

Maybe try to arrange a meeting of all the falang tenants & as a group you have more influence.Demand to meet with the juristic person. Lay out your evidence. Tell him you hope it won't have to go to court. By rights they should refund you all the money you have been overcharged.

Edited by powderpuff

My electric bill there now comes direct from the electric company ( for 6 weeks now ) .Before that i was paying the management company 7 baht a unit and they did not overcharge as far as i know.

Well, they were overcharging you by the simple act of demanding 7B for something that is really just half that.

I dont really understand why anyone in that building is paying the management company directly for electricity anyway: why not just do it at 7/11 or online and pay the proper government rate? This is the sort of question that the committee should be looking at. Or maybe they are involved in the management?

Simply because the electric co had not done what they needed to do to start taking over the charging of the individual condo units .It took a year for this to happen with my condo ,and some units there are still waiting i believe .I think that this is standard with every new Condo building ?

Reckon I would move out. A scam like this is not going to make you feel better about where you and your friends live.

I wish i can, but i have rental agreement for a year. (3 more month) I dont wanna lose 2x deposit.

Can anyone confirm that this is not a normal business in Pattaya and its only in Park Lane r charging 10x?

Ad u all pays 500-1000 Bath per month?

If the are charging the Thai residents the correct price then they know how to calculate the bills correctly and it isn't just a simple mistake. With that in mind do you honestly think that if you move out in three months that you are going to get your deposit back?

I was thinking the exact same thing. There is no guarantee that you will get your bond money back.

I would be pissed off if I was getting ripped off as well but there is no way I would bother with the lawyers and the like for what is probably a couple of hundred bucks.

Not worth the hassle or aggravation and not to mention getting some Thai people offside.

To pursue something in Thailand it has to be really worth it and for a couple of hundred bucks let it rest forget and move out in three months.

Don't pay the rent next month and start looking for another place. You need to force your landlord to take action over this and he soon will if his money dries up.

Is this check and number of my meter enought for PEA?

x_87cfa3d4.jpg

Simply because the electric co had not done what they needed to do to start taking over the charging of the individual condo units .It took a year for this to happen with my condo ,and some units there are still waiting i believe .I think that this is standard with every new Condo building ?

True. What building u r? Me at B2

Edited by YuryBalyasnikov

I cant find anything about building committee at lobby....no idea whete to find it

I've never heard of an established building that doesnt have a committee (albeit a committee of dead people and absentees). But maybe as a (fairly) new building that one doesnt have one yet. Have all the chanotes been issued? Is there a Juristic Person Office? Perhaps the developer is still runnning the show. If there is a committee then the front office will know who they are and should give you their contact details.

As for charging, yes they can charge what they like if you agree to getting the service from them. But I would like to know why they are handling it anyway? Why doesnt everyone just get a bill to be paid directly at the official rate? Someone in that building is earning a 90% profit on ALL electricity bills they are issuing, not to mention any extra 900% markup by misreading the meters by a factor of 10. So some people (that includes you :angry:) are paying nearly 20 times what they should be.

Sounds like a good scam to me.

Possibly. I dont like new buildings much and so I dont pay much attention to the way they function (or dont function!).

Someone is making a hell of a lot of money during that year though. On an average (occupied) unit it could amount to much more than the annual maintenance charge. :angry:

I cant find anything about building committee at lobby....no idea whete to find it

I've never heard of an established building that doesnt have a committee (albeit a committee of dead people and absentees). But maybe as a (fairly) new building that one doesnt have one yet. Have all the chanotes been issued? Is there a Juristic Person Office? Perhaps the developer is still runnning the show. If there is a committee then the front office will know who they are and should give you their contact details.

As for charging, yes they can charge what they like if you agree to getting the service from them. But I would like to know why they are handling it anyway? Why doesnt everyone just get a bill to be paid directly at the official rate? Someone in that building is earning a 90% profit on ALL electricity bills they are issuing, not to mention any extra 900% markup by misreading the meters by a factor of 10. So some people (that includes you :angry:) are paying nearly 20 times what they should be.

Sounds like a good scam to me.

Yes. And it seems there is nothing you can do....

Don't pay the rent next month and start looking for another place. You need to force your landlord to take action over this and he soon will if his money dries up.

And bye bye my 40K in deposits? I have only 3 month left (20K per month rental)

Two months rent as deposit? 20k a month? Rip off management......I'd withhold the months rent and move out. At least you're only 20k down then. Chalk it up to experience and rent on a month to month basis next time with no more than a month deposit.

The deposir should be a security for both parties....by paying more than a months you skewed the deal from the start unfortunately.

Thank you. I ll try to find it tommoro. I read on our russian forum that u can go there and pay directly to MEA. You can also make agreement with them to continiue paying onlyin office.

You need to have meter number and lobby bill with u.

If you are in park lane condo off Chaiyapruek 1 road, far easier for you to go to the PEA office on Chaiyapruek 2, about 150 m up from Sukhumvit on the left. Purple and white coloured building cant miss it.