Bomb explodes in Northern Ireland, no injuries

News_Editor

Bomb explodes in Northern Ireland, no injuries

2011-05-22 02:33:15 GMT+7 (ICT)

BELFAST, NORTHERN IRELAND (BNO NEWS) -- A bomb exploded on Saturday at a busy shopping area in Londonderry in Northern Ireland, the Irish Times reported.

According to local sources, two masked men carried the bomb into the building of the Santander bank then left it on the floor with customers present, before fleeing the scene.

A Police Service of Northern Ireland spokesman said the area had already been evacuated after they received a warning. There were no injuries reported, but the Santander bank in Derry's Shipquay Street was damaged.

"This bomb was deliberately placed in one of the busiest areas of the city and was designed to murder innocent people as they shopped on a Saturday afternoon," Northern Ireland's First Minister Peter Robinson said.

"The perpetrators of this disgusting attack have no regard for human life. Indeed if it were not for the vigilance of the security forces we could have been faced with a far greater tragedy this afternoon."

The explosion came the day after Queen Elizabeth II finished a four-day State visit to Ireland which was heavily policed amid tight security.

On Tuesday, at least 21 people were arrested after clashes broke out between Irish police forces and protestors during the Queen's visit. The demonstration was part of an opposition movement aimed at separating Ireland from the United Kingdom supported mainly by the Republican Sin Féin party and the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, the political wing of the Real Irish Republican Army (Real IRA).

The Real IRA is a paramilitary organization that seeks a united Ireland and is responsible for many attacks including the Omagh bombing in 1998 that killed 29 people.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-22

How terribly sad.

Yeah man, very much. I m in Northern Ireland at the moment. From here originally. My bro-in-law was working at the media tent at the North West 200 motorbike race that was on today (canceled in the end due to so many problems), and there was a bomb alert. Sniffer dogs in, evacuation etc etc. He is English, so not nice for him, or anyone for that matter, but not something he would be used to. Thank fully it was a hoax. Then the other day, main shopping area in Belfast bomb scare, had to be evacuated with another bomb scare. It is happening now on a daily basis. It is like a game to them. Lets make people scared, tell them there is a bomb. You can never take the chance as of course there will real bombs too. It is a game of cat and mouse. Total total <deleted>.

and so it goes on...... As an ex-pat I really wish the U could gets its act together and look to providing the resources needed to solve the problems closer to home, rather than being the bleeding heart nation we have become!

Ok a bomb was set off. However, look at the bright side of things. The accords were signed in 1998. Its 2011. Almost 13 years have gone by with a peaceful environment growing with each and every passing year. That means that there is a new generation is growing up without the violence that characterized the 70's. This generation will not welcome a return to violence, and when it starts creating the next generation in a decade, the roots of peace will have grown even stronger. It will take some more time, but peace is irreversible now.

Ok a bomb was set off. However, look at the bright side of things. The accords were signed in 1998. Its 2011. Almost 13 years have gone by with a peaceful environment growing with each and every passing year. That means that there is a new generation is growing up without the violence that characterized the 70's. This generation will not welcome a return to violence, and when it starts creating the next generation in a decade, the roots of peace will have grown even stronger. It will take some more time, but peace is irreversible now.

Optimistic indeed, which is good. I hope your right. I m a private trader/investor and take quite a deep interest in the economy. My fear is that we will see widespread civil unrest in the coming years due to geo-political tensions and economic hardships across many nations. The signs are there and we are already seeing this. This is a view I have held since 2008/09 and have not just jumped in the band wagon due to recent events. I think it will be poor economic conditions that could be the stickler in this whole thing that could lead to defection from the center to more extreme factions on the left and right. Hopefully not, but this continual policy of kicking the can down the road by governments/central banks etc is leading us into some serious problems down the line.