Ridiculous Prices For Paintings In Chiang Mai

Roel

In the past I had a few paintings made to order such as portraits from a picture as well as reproductions of famous paintings. Last week I checked out the shops at the night bazaar. Excellent quality BUT prices are way over the top. Just checked the price list I have from Krabi. Prices in Chiang Mai are almost three times higher. Now I can understand that these guys probably pay a steep rent at the night bazaar and as a result try to sell at ridiculous tourist prices. Are there any other ateliers in Chiang Mai that are more friendly priced?

Thanks bluweyze. Got a car, so that might help. Like to check it out. Can you kindly point me in the right direction of this Baan Tawai. I got a map of Chiang Mai but hard to find with no clue where to look.

My wife was looking for a painting of a buddha's head when we were there for Songkran, the prices were way higher than i expected. In the end we bought a 3 piece wooden "picture", the same size as the paintings. It was much cheaper and IMO better looking too.

It sounds like the common Thai trait of charge-more-if-there-are-fewer-customers. The Night Bazaar is suffering and Thai logic dictates that to earn the same income when there are fewer customers around, prices must rise. They unfortunately don't really understand the way most foreigners look at the same situation.

Thanks bluweyze. Got a car, so that might help. Like to check it out. Can you kindly point me in the right direction of this Baan Tawai. I got a map of Chiang Mai but hard to find with no clue where to look.

Take 108 (Hang Dong Road ) until you reach the very middle of Hang Dong and a set of Traffic Lights. Turn Left and just follow the road to Ban Tawai, it's only about 5 minutes and on the way you will pass a lot of wood shops that make furniture etc and some have the odd painting but in Ban Tawai village there are a few who sell paintings.

I've had watercolors done in the past, near my house in Bosang (I live in the U.S. for a couple of years). The name of the lady that arranged the paintings is Ketsunee, and her phone number is 0899516013. Tell her Dean gave you her phone number. She does speak english.

Thanks trainman34014 and Dean1953. Very much appreciated.

..in Loi Kroh Road there is an artist who is there all day and evening..sets up outside and old abandoned guesthouse where a small wine bar also sets up..approx 20m west of Chiang Mai Saloon Bar. He is a very talented artist, can do original works, copies from photos etc at a very reasonable rate as no real overheads where he is.

Thanks trainman34014 and Dean1953. Very much appreciated.

Using the instructions above, Baan Tawai Village is a right (fork) after about a click of turning off the Hang Dong Road.

Right in the back of Kad Suan Kaew, at the basement level where the handicraft stores are, there are (or at least were - I haven't been through there for some time) several artists working. I don't know how their prices compare with Night Bazaar.

Just to pick two random examples that I have various quotations for:

Oil on canvas, 50x60 cm with 2 persons on it.

Night Bazaar, Chiang Mai: 8,900

Kad Suan Kaew, Chiang Mai: 8,500

compared to:

Phuket: 6,800

Hua Hin: 4,500

Pattaya: 3,100

Krabi: 3,600

Black and white, 60x80 cm with 3 persons on it.

Night Bazaar, Chiang Mai: 6,800

Kad Suan Kaew, Chiang Mai: 6,800

Phuket: 7,800

Hua Hin: n/a

Pattaya: n/a

Krabi: 2,500

You probably want to suggest that the quotations are merely tourist rack rates and I could do some talking, but I am pretty sure I cannot negotiate Krabi prices here. So I guess I better send my pictures to Krabi where I know from experience that the quality is good.

Try Walking Street on Sundays. Great art all over. Also Chiang Mai University Art Department at Nimmanhaemin and Suthep sometimes has sales outside. And there's always a Thursday open market at the uni, second entrance on Suthep just up from Nimmanhaemin. Try these. there are more too. And these are cheaper than the others. Cheers from Montreal.