11 Year Old Daughter Stuck In Thailand

My daughter(aged 11) is stuck in Thailand, both her UK and Thai passports have expired(I have both old passports here in the UK with me at the moment). I need to travel to Thailand to make her new passports so she can travel back with me.

My Thai wife died a few days ago and my daughter wants to come and live with me in the UK. I have tried to renew her UK passport before but the person who has to declare they know her also has to sign that she is currently in the UK - so it never got done.

My daughter was born in Oxford so she is a UK national, will she still be able to hold a Thai passport? As it could make things difficult to only have a UK passport. I would appreciate any help with any information as to going about getting a UK passport through the British Embassy in Bangkok and where I would need to go to get a Thai passport for her and what paperwork would I need.

Also do you think I will have a problem getting her out of Thailand and into the UK even with passports. Is there anything important you think I must do to make things run smoothly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Since you are in the UK with the passports, your daughter's Thai passport could be renewed in London as you would be dealing with (mostly) an English speaking person versus the rigmarole of maybe re-establishing her bona-fides with the MFA in Bangkok. But if she is already back in Thailand, they may not be too happy about doing that 'in absentia'.

However, I assume she last entered Thailand on her (now expired) Thai passport in which case a standard Thai passport renewal in Thailand would be the best solution and relatively easy as there's more MFA-linked Thai passport offices if she happens to be living outside Bangkok.

Once you come to Thailand, you need to budget sufficient time for her UK passport to be renewed; it's done through Hong Kong these days and can take between 10 days and 2 weeks. You would also have to find some professional Brit or a local 'of standing' in the community where she has mostly been living that can countersign the application and the new passport photograph.

Then she can depart Thailand on her Thai passport and enter the UK on her UK one.

Once you come to Thailand, you need to budget sufficient time for her UK passport to be renewed; it's done through Hong Kong these days and can take between 10 days and 2 weeks. You would also have to find some professional Brit or a local 'of standing' in the community where she has mostly been living that can countersign the application and the new passport photograph.

Mr Pedantic, first of all sorry for your loss.

In the circumstances, you MIGHT be able able to obtain an emergency passport for your daughter, this would allow your daughter to return to England, and can be issued in Bangkok, it's certainly worth a shot. I'm not convinced that you daughters application needs countersigning.

Someone mentioned an emergency travel document but I need to show them need of urgency and without a flight ticket (which I don't want to buy until I have all documents in my hand) it will be tough. If I send off my daughter's application without a countersign they could return my application to me and I'll lose my payment.

I've just found out I also need verified English translation of my wife's death certificate too, as I need authorisation from the mother that she can get a passport. Looks like I'm in for a long trip.

If you are your daughter's legal Father and do have both her expired UK and Thai Passports on hand.

Check with the UK office that handles Passports to get her a new UK passport.

Contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate nearest you to get her Thai passport renewed.

Both these places sould be able to help you get the passports sorted out.

As for translating the mother's death certificate into English, if you do need to have it done, there are many places that do legal translations from Thai to English all over Thailand. Usually done within a day or so. Just depends if you need to have the translation stamped by the Thai Forign Minestry will take a little longer.

Sorry for you and your daughter's loss.

Edited by KimoMax

Yes was a legal marriage at Banglamung Amphur in 1998. I have wedding certificate and official translation.

I contacted the IPS with all the details and this was their reply:-

Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for your enquiry

You will not be able to apply from the UK as the passport holder is not in the UK. This would be fraudulent activity.

If you need to renew or apply for a British passport whilst overseas, or you have any queries relating to this, you will need to contact your nearest British Embassy. If you check the website of the Foreign Commonwealth Office you will be able to locate the nearest consular post. Their web address is: www.fco.gov.uk.

Not so helpful although it did direct to the right place.

I've just found out that due to the new technology involved all UK passports are now made in the UK. But to gain a UK passport for my daughter I have to fly to Thailand process my application, send it to Hong Kong, wait 4 weeks for the passport to be delivered and then I can book a flight and come back.

Instead of nipping to Liverpool Passport office getting it done in a day and flying out immediately and bringing her back after making a one day Thai passport in Bangkok. Ludicrous.

My sincere condolences to you and your daughter. It is worth trying to get hold of your local MP as this is not a normal application for a renewal of an expired UK passport, but one for a child to be re-united with her father under such tragic circumstances. That she was born and has lived in the UK and has a UK passport albeit expired, together with your concerns over her current welfare is proof of an emergency entitlement to entry documents, an expired UK passport should be shown in person to your MP who should make the appropriate plea for assistance via the FCO for passport renewal/ entry document to enable your child to come back to the UK ASAP.

Most MP's run a 'surgery' or have a local agent to pass on cases such as yours.

Edited by snuggzzz

That's a good idea there must be some exceptions for bereavements. I really can't see the point of making documents travel half way round the world and back again when they only need to travel a few miles down the road.

I would also suggest that you provide photos of your daughter and any relevant paperwork plus the expired passports to back up your plea, as they will need some proof to act in such cases, as much as possible to endorse your plight.

I believe you can actually travel into your country of nationality on an expired passport, I certainly have known it done for the UK and even Thailand, again it's something the consular staff should be able to advise you on.

The problem might be actually boarding the plane.

Edited by theoldgit

Just a small point, but if one already has a British Passport there is no need to have the photographs submitted for a renewal certified by someone who has known the applicant for "x" no. of years.

Patrick

Edit : Just realised this may only apply if one submits the application personally!

P

Edited by p_brownstone

Best is if she gets a Thai passport and leaves on that one. She can travel to the UK on an expired passport without any problem. For signing the passport application you could contact the Thai ministry of Foreign Affairs, consular section. Tey are there to help your daughter in this kind of situations. It might be possible to sign the passport application at the embssy in London and have it send to your daughter.

timlogo.gif

/ 24MAY11 / 0221 UTC

National United Kingdom (GB) /Residence Thailand (TH)

Destination United Kingdom (GB)

vi_de.gif

United Kingdom (GB)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Expired British passport (no time limit) endorsed British

Citizen is accepted.

- Expired British passport (no time limit) endorsed British

Subject is accepted, provided being Citizen of the United

Kingdom and Colonies , containing a Certificate of

Entitlement to the Right of Abode.

- British passport endorsed: British Dependent Territories

Citizen , British National (Overseas) , British Overseas

Citizen , British Overseas Territories Citizen or British

Protected Person" must be valid on arrival.

- National Identity Cards issued by Gibraltar must be valid on

arrival.

Visa required, except for Holders of British passports

endorsed: British Citizen , British National (Overseas) ,

British Overseas Citizen , British Overseas Territories

Citizen or British Protected Person .

Visa required, except for Holders of passports endorsed

British Subject stating Citizens of the United Kingdom and

Colonies".

Thinking on my feet here Mr P, you are travelling to Thailand to collect your daughter, you can renew your daughters passport in a few days and it costs 1000 Baht, something for us Brits to learn from the Thais, yes she can keep her Thai passport. As I said earlier I'm pretty sure she can enter the UK by using her expired passport as identification, which is all a passport is.

The Thai passport is not a problem just go in the morning and pick it up three hours later. Pretty much the same as she could do here in the UK if she were here.

The photos in her old passports are quite old, the last time she came to the UK I had a problem with Thai immigration letting her out of the country and only when they spoke to her did they believe it was her. So I may have a problem with old passport in the UK as she has changed quite a bit.

There is no way I can bypass the signature required on the back of the photo as this is top of the checklist.

The C2 form has to be countersigned by someone official that has known me two years which means nobody in Thailand can sign it and they can't sign the photo because my daughter is not in the Uk

A new Thai passport will confirm her identity and together with the expired British passport should be enough.

Normally it is enough if one can proof citizenship, a passport is strictly speaking not necesarry to enter ones own country. (with the exception of a few countires).

When I got a passport for my daughter a year or so back (about a month after the HKG bit came in) I was also struggling to get a countersignature. In the end I got my local bar owner to sign it but unfortunately he only put his first name down and i didn't know his surname - this was pointed out to me by the lady at the British Embassy. Since they take your mobile off you at the embassy i couldn't phone him and check but the lady said that it wouldn't be a problem. Sure enough a couple of weeks later we received the passport so if they accept "Terry" occupation Bar Owner and a thai mobile number I am pretty certain they will take anything as long as there is a british passport number given.

Edited by Orac

^ it was about 2 weeks if i remember rightly - I filled in a DHL courier note at the embassy so was able to track it back which took 3 days from arriving in Thailand to getting up to darkest Isaan but, according to a previous post, they may have changed things again if the come from the UK now.

Edited by Orac

I think its a good idea that you are gathering as much info as you can to get your daughter back to the UK. You obviously have a few obstacles to over come but from what I'm reading they are not insurmountable. It seems you do need to allow time when you come to get her. I assume you are going to do that.

While you are here waiting for her passport I suggest you take the time to get several other documents you may not have thought about. Some of these documents might take time to get also so when applying for them make sure you stress the importance on getting them quickly. These documents will undoubtedly be need later in her life. It easier to get them in Thailand rather than trying to get them later. Don't be cheap on copies either:

• (Several) Certified copies of her birth certificate
  • Her mother's Death certificate
  • Certified School records (all schools)
  • Any medical records especially showing immunizations or else she may need to take all the shots over.
  • Bank accounts if any

These are often over looked and become a bigger problem later. Hand carry these documents on retrurn. I wouldn't trust checked baggage. I know you have a lot to think about. I wish you the best of luck.:jap:

Thanks for all your information. Yet another burden has been added to the melting pot, flights out of the UK are being cancelled due to the volcanic ash cloud. I was going to fly with Emirates but their flight to Dubai today has been cancelled and this is going to cause a backlog and lack of seats.

I finally got in touch with the British Embassy in Thailand and they said the best way forward was an emergency travel document, as she has already had a UK passport it is just a 3 hour process.

Thank you Mrjlh, I will take everything possible including photos. I have everything including all the stuff from when she was a baby in the UK so I shall look through that for anything relevant.

Yes thanks for that. As I am cursed I usually have to expect the unexpected. Went through something similar when my dad died while living in Pattaya a while back. Fortunately he had the forethought to state in his will that he wished to be cremated and his remains be put in the crematorium section in a Pattaya church.

Hopefully, everything is now sorted for you and your daughter, the ash cloud is now lifting and heading towards Europe, but due to return, so the journey is subject to those conditions, I do hope everything goes well for you.:)