What Would You Like To See At Airports?

dunkin2012

What would you like to see at airports?

Bill LawfordLonely Planet author

airport.jpg

Airports. They’re that place you’ve often got an awkward amount of time to spend – not long enough for a trip into the city, but too long to just hang out drinking litre upon litre of bad coffee. So wouldn’t it be nice if airports were destinations in themselves, places where you hoped your plane would be delayed, just so you could linger a little longer.

That’s why we liked this post on the Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree forum: Things I want to see in airports. N_rb, who started the thread, wants a barber shop and somewhere to buy clean socks and underwear.

What are the other most desired airport must-haves? We asked the Lonely Planet community of frequent travellers for their suggestions. It turns out that while airports have shown themselves willing to innovate with 4-storey slides, free spray tans, dance lessons and writers in residence, sometimes people are just keen for a really good version of the basics. Airports, take note:

A place to freshen up

Without doubt, a fresh change of clothes, a shower, maybe even a haircut and a shave, are exactly what’s required to freshen up between flights. ManchVegas suggests a push-cart style shop selling reasonably priced t-shirts, socks and underwear (rather than the leather gloves, cowboy hats and business ties that currently plague airports). And please, access to showers for us plebs who aren’t ‘special lounge club’ members.

A place to lie down

Sometimes all we want is a bit of a lie-down. And we don’t mean by trying to pretend that two hard plastic lounge seats maketh a bed. Rent-by-the-minute bedrooms sound good – thanks Pizza_Wheel for the idea – well, until you wake up and realise you have a bill coming to you for 700 minutes. A billing system that altered your rate depending on whether you’d stayed two days or two hours would fix that. Maybe the room could even be ‘aware’ of your flight number and wake you up when your flight is getting ready to board.

A place to recharge your batteries (literally)

We vote for

that have free Wifi and ports to charge your phone, laptop, etc. That way you could leave your phone on charge somewhere secure if you wanted to roam the airport for a while.

A place to eat well

Food is a major bugbear for most time-stranded travellers. It seems what most of us want after consuming tray after tray of airplane food is not a palate-carpeting bucket of deep-fried chicken, an impotently deflated burger or some tepid yellow fries. Airports have a constant stream of customers who can’t really go anywhere else, so decent restaurants, using fresh produce to make tasty meals at affordable prices – as opposed to what you generally find in airports – shouldn’t be a rarity. Or, as one of our Facebookers Peg suggested, how about just somewhere that offered fresh fruit or ingredients to make your own sandwich with?

A place to stow the kids

For travellers with young children who have been ‘enjoying each other’s company’ during a long-haul flight, Andrea on Facebook suggested ‘safe play areas for children with child-sized bathrooms’ – yeah, basically somewhere to leave the flight-crazed kids for a couple of hours before you lose your mind. But what do you do while the kids are living it up at Chez Enfant? N_rb mentioned the frustration at forgetting to take that book you’re in the middle of. It seems Taiwan airport is already looking to solve this problem, setting up the world’s first e-library and giving commuters the chance to curl up with a good rented device. Or how about a big, comfy airport cinema to while away the hours?

A place to work out

But maybe sitting down to read or watch a film for a few of hours isn’t what you’re looking for after being on a plane…sitting down for hours and hours. An in-airport gym was a popular idea, for those wanting to remind themselves that they’re a living, breathing, vital being and not just another drooling queue-zombie with an L-shaped spine. And how about a pool? Surely heated and outdoor would be the way to go here, so you could enjoy a lazy float around while taking in some much needed fresh air (and yes, alright, maybe with a dash of aviation-gas fumes, too).

Other suggestions included a laundromat, a place to meet other passengers and play board games, as well as somewhere to meet other passengers and ‘meet up’ more intimately. While some of us can’t think of anything worse than getting off a plane to do the washing or getting up close and personal with more strangers, perhaps these could all be taken care of with one big laundromatic-Ludo-love-lounge.

Surely the most innovative idea we received, however, was from our Facebook friend Paolo. It was a little out there, sure, but he suggested a concept which involved extra staff at airports. These extra staff would help lessen the enormous queues at baggage, check-in, security and immigration, thereby cutting down our hellish waits at the airport. Keep on dreamin’, Paolo. I think you’ll see the advent of the laundromatic-Ludo-love-lounge before that happens.

Oddly, SFO (San Francisco Airport) has all these things listed. You need to look a little but they have them. The place to lay down, get a shower, change clothes (they wash and iron them while you wait), shave and clean up is at the International terminal but way in the back before clearing outbound inspection. Child care on on bottom floor same area and there is a food court with a nice restaurant that has battery charging and Internet combined. I saw a section downstairs for exercising too, but was not open yet. This was at the end of January just on my way back from the States.

Well, that's one airport!

SFO is one of the more beautiful and friendly airports in the USA. Its hard to believe that just down the coast is LAX which is the exact opposite of SFO. It's like going from Belair to Compton. What's not to like about SFO? (Plus, SF is a beautiful city with magnificent views.)

In Thailand, Koh Samui gets my love because of its open plan, and airy feel. Outside of peak travel periods, it is not crowded and it luringly whispers, welcome to paradise. It's a small airport done right with places to walk and bathrooms that don't reek..

AIrports are for transiting and getting one's flight and baggage on the way. In that regard, SIN and HKG have it down right. Have a flight delay or other crisis and the 2 airports can handle it.

As far as BKK goes, I just want to get out of there asap and don't want to stick around for a massage, nail trim or happy dance at the immigration line.

Edited by geriatrickid

Most Airports all cover items on that list if you fly business class....

I still don't want to spend any more time at an airport than necessary.

So.. What would I like to see at airports?

Simply put - I would like to avoid the feeling that becuase this is something we can't avoid we have to put up with whatever hoops we are expected to jump through to get on what is otherwise a glorified international bus....

On that list the one that stands out most is A Place to Lie Down: airports I travel through at one time or another have looked like refugee camps.... One thing sorely lacking is a quiet comfortable area, for people to 'nap'... Airports authorities would to well to recognise this and provide some sort of free or very low cost sleeping area...

Did I mention: flying sucks which ever airline and class we choose to fly.

Give me a flat bed and tablet to knock me out for the duration of the flight. Don't wake me up until after I pass through immigration....

i miss the pre 9/11 outdoor observation decks (usually atop the terminals) that many airports used to boast. Great spots to film from or to just take in the buzz of activity if you happen to be stuck there a few hours. Ahh.. the lovely whiff of aviation fuel!

Now it seems every airport i visit, all we can do is simply stare through tinted glass & whiff our fellow travellers... :boring:

Most Airports all cover items on that list if you fly business class....

I still don't want to spend any more time at an airport than necessary.

So.. What would I like to see at airports?

Simply put - I would like to avoid the feeling that becuase this is something we can't avoid we have to put up with whatever hoops we are expected to jump through to get on what is otherwise a glorified international bus....

On that list the one that stands out most is A Place to Lie Down: airports I travel through at one time or another have looked like refugee camps.... One thing sorely lacking is a quiet comfortable area, for people to 'nap'... Airports authorities would to well to recognise this and provide some sort of free or very low cost sleeping area...

Did I mention: flying sucks which ever airline and class we choose to fly.

Give me a flat bed and tablet to knock me out for the duration of the flight. Don't wake me up until after I pass through immigration....

Spirit of Captain Cook, mate.

The journey's the destination.

Better to travel in hope ...

SC

Most airports lack a play area for young kids. Bangkok airport is one of them.

Far better to let them run around and get tired on the playground rather than play up on the aeroplane. This is in the interests of all passengers, not only the parents.

The total removal of muslim prayer rooms. the jews, Christians, Buddhists, Taoists, et al are not catered for so why the discriminations. and by the way the use of the words Muslim Prayer rooms is false, last time i stuck my nose into one out of curiosity, I didnt see any bums in the air just loads lolling around reading and smoking !

The total removal of muslim prayer rooms. the jews, Christians, Buddhists, Taoists, et al are not catered for so why the discriminations. and by the way the use of the words Muslim Prayer rooms is false, last time i stuck my nose into one out of curiosity, I didnt see any bums in the air just loads lolling around reading and smoking !

A re-entry permit immigration counter that gives them away and makes life easier for frequent travelers. A Chinese buffet place like the real Chinese food in the USA :) A place that makes an actual gyros with fresh-backed Greek bread. A Mexican taqueria that makes real Mexican food and not the stuff they make in Thailand now. A real Italian sub place (Thailand does not have one).

They allow smoking?!? Is that som kind of PC compliance thing? My request would have been for more and better ventilated smoking rooms. Next time I'll just have to step into one of the rooms you've mentioned, probably be a lot less crowded than the so called smoking rooms

At Shanghai's Pudong Airport, there are little buttons you can press at the immigration counter to rate the officer who stamps your passport. Quite a novelty, I must admit. More importantly, the service was a vast improvement from previous trips.

At Shanghai's Pudong Airport, there are little buttons you can press at the immigration counter to rate the officer who stamps your passport. Quite a novelty, I must admit. More importantly, the service was a vast improvement from previous trips.

can the officer see which button you push and then you run?

24 hour public transport by rail or bus to and from Bangkok and Pattaya. That way we might not get ripped off as much and also not transferred to a crappy taxi half way down the airport.Dont they know the planes go and come all night.

Edited by OZEMADE

can the officer see which button you push and then you run?

I don't know. I was taken by surprise and by the time I worked out that I could rate him, he had already stamped my passport, smiled and wished me a pleasant trip in English!

I go with you on that one. :ph34r:

jb1

A re-entry permit immigration counter that gives them away and makes life easier for frequent travelers. A Chinese buffet place like the real Chinese food in the USA :) A place that makes an actual gyros with fresh-backed Greek bread. A Mexican taqueria that makes real Mexican food and not the stuff they make in Thailand now. A real Italian sub place (Thailand does not have one).

Do you spend all your time on holidays/when traveling in the airport to make all that such a priority...? I mean how many hours do you actually spend in the airport. As long as there is a bar and something that fits the description of food your sorted. When things go to plan as they usually do....you do not need to be in an airport anymore than 2-3 hours.

Do you spend all your time on holidays/when traveling in the airport to make all that such a priority...? I mean how many hours do you actually spend in the airport. As long as there is a bar and something that fits the description of food your sorted. When things go to plan as they usually do....you do not need to be in an airport anymore than 2-3 hours.

To be honest, if you could get Mexican and Greek and American Chinese food in Thailand, I'd scarcely see the point in travelling.

Except to get a decent short back and sides, obviously.

And I always try to get my boots buffed when I'm in Bangkok.

Maybe an auld boot buffer bloke would be good to see at the airport

SC

I'd like to see an airport that doesn't consider an old crock with a metal hip as the most likely person to be a terrorist and demand he take off his belt and shoes in front of a impatient line of pax at the security Xray! And then infuriate him even more at the next check point with a further delay while they check his carry on for explosives.

For a group of twits who have never had a hit in their careers, why do they consider an old fart with a limp as the one who is going to break their duck?

What about checking the shoes of that 20yo with a wild look in his eyes and the name mohammad? Not PC to profile? :bah:

To be honest, if you could get Mexican and Greek and American Chinese food in Thailand, I'd scarcely see the point in travelling.

Except to get a decent short back and sides, obviously.

And I always try to get my boots buffed when I'm in Bangkok.

Maybe an auld boot buffer bloke would be good to see at the airport

SC

To be honest,,,I d probably not even make it into Bangkok at all if the airport had that range of cuisine...If they ever do get those restaurants I ll have to look at renting an airrport hotel room for convenience, so I can pop over anytime and sample some of those Mexican taquiera, you know the real ones...

Talking of bums in the air………………………..More parking for pushbikes!

Edited by Tonto21

The number one thing I want in a transit airport is a shower. After the long flight from SFO to Taipei, I love taking a shower in their transit hotel. It makes it feel as though the flight from Taipei to Bangkok is on a completely different day.

The second thing I want is an easy transfer. I made the mistake of flying internationally into Chicago then taking a domestic flight. It was terrible. I had to go through immigration and customs, then out of the international terminal to their train that takes you to the domestic terminal, then back through security after a 45 minute wait in the line.