Five Mcdonalds Restaurants At Cm

iainiain101

I have been out of town for a few weeks, but noticed a new big billboard 'Five McDonalds restaurants at Chiang Mai' next to Airport Plaza.

I must say that I find it particularly sad when a huge US Corporation like McDonalds cant even write a simple sentence in English. It does make you wonder how the schools here can be expected to teach pupils better English.

Iain

I would say "in" but I'm pretty sure that "at" is British English. It is McDonald's by the way.

Don't blame the Brits for sloppy English. No one says "at Chiang Mai". At what? "At Chiang Mai airport" or "at CM railway station" is fine.

But hey until recently there were some big banners from the airport back to the Hang Dong Rd junction at Tesco's with "environnmentally" in big green letters. 2nd language, no big deal, no great surprises.

Many of the Chinese restaurants in London have their names in English and Cantonese, but the Cantonese allegedly reads such phrases as "filthy food here" or "only for foolish gwailos".

I remember when there were five 7-elevens in Chiang Mai. One day we will look at 100 Mc Donald's outlets and pine for the times there were only five.

As a foot note, right now I'm pining for times when on an internet forum you could discuss topics that mattered.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I remember when there were five 7-elevens in Chiang Mai. One day we will look at 100 Mc Donald's outlets and pine for the times there were only five.

As a foot note, right now I'm pining for times when on an internet forum you could discuss topics that mattered.

So what should we be discussing, if not McGarbage and 7/11?

I would say "in" but I'm pretty sure that "at" is British English. It is McDonald's by the way.

As in 'One McDonald's in Chiang Mai'?

in which case it should surely be

'Five McDonalds' in Chiang Mai'.

'At' in this case wouldn't be British English.

But I'm happy to be corrected on either point!

As in 'One McDonald's in Chiang Mai'?

'At' in this case wouldn't be British English.

Just guessing on the British English as - if I remember correctly - Brits sometimes say "at" when Americans say "in".

The other comment was referring to this:

I must say that I find it particularly sad when a huge US Corporation like McDonalds cant even write a simple sentence in English.

mcdonalds_logo.gif

As you once asked me, I'll ask the same, Do Thai Visa charge you for the topics you read?

Here is a bit of nostalgia for you.

Way back in 1950s in London we used to have the Lyons corners houses. Do any of you remember them?

These were considered as the poor man's restaurant. Customers took a tray and some cutlery, and then walked over to a long counter where there were little compartments with food in which the customers helped themselves to their selected choice of food and put it on the tray as they moved along the counter. Behind the counter were these middle aged women with attitude that would serve you a main meal, then at the end of the counter was a little lady on the till where the customer paid for the meal and then walked away and sat at a table to eat, or dine if you`re posh.

At the time the food was thought of as low standard cuisine, but now thinking back it wasn't that bad at all compared to what new types of restaurants were about to hit the high streets.

Then the Lyons corner houses were taken over by a new restaurant chain, Wimpeys. These were a cross between a regular restaurant and a fast food throw up joint. They were awful. Food poisoning became rife in these places.

Later on in Britain during the late 1960s/early 70s, London first I think, Burger King, Kentucky Fried chicken and McDonalds began to appear in the city. We used to joke that the McDonald`s thick shakes were made from elephant snot and the burgers from worms. Certainly tasted like it.

In my opinion they are still the worst sorts of eating establishments in the world. I used to know work colleges that lived on that stuff. Sad but true.

Bring back the good old days, when eating out was considered an event and they served real food in it`s natural form.

Please furgive me if I have made any spalling errers, coss I aint as smart as some of you ere on Thai visa, I aint.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Here is a bit of nostalgia for you.

Way back in 1950s in London we used to have the Lyons corners houses. Do any of you remember them?

I remember going to the one at Hyde Park Corner with my dad - I think Ivy Benson's all girl band were there at the time.

Before JJ's, I remember some drunk expat that used to get loaded every night in his bar ( kind of near what is the UN Irish Pub now ) and do a roast that was not bad. The only problem was that it took hours and you never knew what time it would be ready.

Of course, some years later, the Escape came along with its charming owner and changed all that with some very decent chow.

JJ's was the best Western food in town and even the Brits were praying for McDonald's and Pizza Hut. biggrin.gif

We didn't even have JJ's way back then, Ewe Gee!

( Oh oh, I feel a Yorkshire Men skit coming up.. )

Anyway I fear BB outranks me by quite a margin... When I set foot in Chiang Mai there was defnitely a Chester's (Central KSK had just opened), and the Dunkin Donuts at the Phucome Hotel where all the uni chicks used to hang.

Trivia Question for the Old Hands: what was the first true chain fast food outlet in Chiang Mai?

Time starts...... NOW!

Mister Donut?

Mister Donut, where? This must have been before Central KSK was built. Was there a Mister Donut before that? At the old Tantraphan Mall perhaps?

( Other candidates may include the Baskin Robbins at the old Chang Inn Plaza at the night bazar, where I think the first KFC opened? And did the Phucome Dunkin Donuts open before Central KSK was built?)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

[

Mister Donut, where? This must have been before Central KSK was built. Was there a Mister Donut before that? At the old Tantraphan Mall perhaps?

Yes, near the site of the second Tantraphan Mall which was not built yet and long before KSK.

Was the second Tantraphan the old part of what is now mostly Robinson at Central Airport Plaza? I'm assuming the old one was the one on Maneenopparat Rd on the Northern moat. Airport Plaza then I think was called Tantraphan Airport Plaza or some such..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The second Tantraphan is now a health club somewhere in back of Computer Plaza, but Mister Donut was out front on the main street kind of near S&P.

The first Tantraphan was on Thapae Road very near Chang Klan road (close to the corner of the soi behind the Night Bazaar) .

Edited by Ulysses G.

Winnie, turn your head & avert your eyes when you pass by one. I resent libs telling me where I can & can not eat.

Thailand - home of dog eat dog wild west Capitalism. I'm lovin' that.